East Coast places like BLM Land to camp?

gr8white

I am traveling from Eastern PA to Eastern Texas soon and was hoping to stay in places that are like BLM land along the way.  Unfortunately,  there doesn't appear to be any BLM land on this trip.  Im looking for places that is dispersed and I can be somewhat isolated and make my own power.  Places with very little fee's like BLM land.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks! 

Many National Forests and National Grasslands allow camping away from developed areas. You have to consult the Travel or Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) or contact the individual Forest to find out where you can vehicle camp and how far off the designated roadway you are permitted to park your RV.  Some states have state forests where you can camp in other than designated sites. Some states allow camping on wildlife management areas and/or state fishing lakes. You may or may not have to purchase a fishing or hunting license so check the rules carefully.  Free campsites is a good place to start.

5 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

Many National Forests and National Grasslands allow camping away from developed areas. You have to consult the Travel or Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) or contact the individual Forest to find out where you can vehicle camp and how far off the designated roadway you are permitted to park your RV.  Some states have state forests where you can camp in other than designated sites. Some states allow camping on wildlife management areas and/or state fishing lakes. You may or may not have to purchase a fishing or hunting license so check the rules carefully.  Free campsites is a good place to start.

Thanks, I looked at state lands but the problem is they rarely post their prices.  In PA for example, they charge 55.00 per nite in some places.  I wish they posted prices but it just seems that its alot of work to find out what kind of camping is available and pricing when trying to plan to go to state land ahead of time. 

1 hour ago, gr8white said:

Thanks, I looked at state lands but the problem is they rarely post their prices.  In PA for example, they charge 55.00 per nite in some places.  I wish they posted prices but it just seems that its alot of work to find out what kind of camping is available and pricing when trying to plan to go to state land ahead of time. 

I thought you were looking for free camping like on BLM land? State Parks in the East very rarely allow camping outside of designated areas. Other state lands may not be managed by the same agency as the State Parks.

Here is the site for PA State Forests. Here is a link to the Kansas State Fishing Lakes. You have to check which ones allow camping. Here is a link to Kansas State Wildlife Management Areas. Again you have to check which ones allow camping. Here is a link to Texas Wildlife Management Areas that allow camping.

If you are looking for public campgrounds in addition to boondocking sites, take a look at the Ultimate Public Campgrounds Website. The Corps of Engineers and Tennessee Valley Authority also have campgrounds on many of their properties. Georgia Power operates some campgrounds. Search the regions for the locations.

Edited by trailertraveler

OK great.  I will check these links out thank you!  I dont mind paying.  Alot of BLM land you have to buy a pass.  My problem is I can never find the prices on state parks until I get there and then alot of times they are very expensive.  My main goal is dispersed camping in nature like BLM land offers.  

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

Technomadia's app Public Lands will help you locate ones you can then research further.

Linda Sand

If my memory is correct, this app is based on the USGS maps/information that our tax $ paid for and can be accessed for free Here. If you zoom in on the area that you are interested in and click on the colored area. It will tell you the name of the area and the agency that controls it.

3 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

If my memory is correct, this app is based on the USGS maps/information t

While that used to be true, Technomadia has found a better source of data and updated the app appropriately. The old data only promised to be correct within 1 mile. A mile can be too far off when looking for a boondocking spot.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, gr8white said:

Prices are available on individual state's websites, they are for my state anyway. That means you do some finger-work on the keyboard though.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

50 minutes ago, sandsys said:

While that used to be true, Technomadia has found a better source of data and updated the app appropriately. The old data only promised to be correct within 1 mile. A mile can be too far off when looking for a boondocking spot.

Linda

I think you are mistaken. The source of their data is the USGS. From their own website: 

The original version of US Public Lands was based on the National Atlas of the United States of America, but this public domain data set was shortly thereafter discontinued and was no longer being updated. The new app has migrated to instead rely on the completely new Protected Area Database (PAD-US 2.0) of the U.S. Geological Survey for the public domain raw map data that we’ve been able to convert to create this interactive overlayable mapping & navigation tool.

The link I provided was to the Protected Area Database (PAD-US 2.0) of the U.S. Geological Survey. The app does have some added features such as linking to Google maps and putting your location on your screen.
Their website includes this statement: 

So while the original data set could be counted on to be no more accurate than 1-square mile of resolution, the data in the new release will vary in resolution across the nation (often much higher, but not always).

But even with the more detailed maps: always remember, there may be private unmapped inholdings within any public lands - so always pay attention to local signage, indications, and information. Do not solely rely on this app for determining if you are on public or private land.

Apparently I either misinterpreted what I read or misremembered it. That's been known to happen when I'm tired and our apartment's fire alarm went off at 6:40 am today even though there was no fire. Sorry if I confused anyone. Maybe I should go to bed now.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van