Snow Traction what do you use?

castlewood57

With the DM's I kept forgetting to throttle them up when coasting to a start going downhill.  They'd work themselves up to 5th gear then clutch in at 1200 and slide me sideways.  It was usually kinda messed up in the throttle at that point so you couldn't power out of it but sometime in the middle of all the screwing around the stability control would trailer jerk me straight again.  Got stuck up on Eisenhower once where even in manual hold it wouldn't let me lug down to 800 rpm and kept shifting out of it.  It never gave me a chance to shift the difflocks out and add them plus all those revs I slipped my way sideways down the banked corner and screwed myself.  Sometime after that I decided to just steer the thing and let it traction control itself to do its own thing.  Fast forward to another year and I scratch my way up Lookout and get down into Montana and I'm driving along wondering why every truck around me has stinky brakes.  Finally figure out it is me!  WTF?  Shortly after realize that I put a bunch of heat into the tractor brakes on the way up.  So ATC'ing is kind of a balance.

Never really had a problem with the Plus' or the Endurants.  They never want to go into the gear I want them in when I want it so it dings and I cuss for a good hour or so, but we get the snowy stuff done eventually.

If I fly out and get a bobtail I'll pack a set of the studded SuperSox in the suitcase cuz they pack up so tight.  They seem to do fine for the freeways and seem to fit the Flow Belows and stuff the aero trucks have.  Never tried them on a loaded truck yet but might give them a shot on a trailer next year.

Also with snow comes the de-icer.......Stuff will make a mess out of your nice steel truck bed in a hurry!

I learned VERY QUICKLY with our 10-sp standard U-shift to run a higher RPM in a lower gear when the roads are white.... Letting the engine lug along watching the fuel meter show 15+mpg is fun until you hit a bridge joint that bumps the rear just enough to let the engine rev breaking the rear end loose from all the torque.  

Then you learn how to drift sideways down the highway in snow.... at night.....  With your wife saying "Hang on to what"?   

So the lesson is-

Don't drive in the snow-

Don't drive in the snow or ice in a high gear

Don't drive in the snow at night

Don't tell your wife to "Hang on" while driving in the snow at night....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 7/23/2019 at 5:19 AM, Cotreker said:

Imurphy907 what brand locker are you going with? Any idea on cost yet?

I don't have a brand in mind. My intentions to buy a take out gear set with the gearing I want and a locker already installed and I will swap it out with mine. Then I just need to get it air.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.