adding second AC unit

jenandjon

I have an old 33ft Jayco. I want to add a second unit over the bedroom. On hot days the one just don't keep up. My trailer 30 amp and is not wired for a second unit. So, I will have to get a second plug on the camper somewhere. I know I will have to run a separate cord to the pole. No problem there. My main unit is a Coleman max. The second unit is also a Coleman so they will match. The second one has  the controls on the unit so no need for a second thermostat. I just cant figure out how I am going to run a wire across the ceiling and down the wall and outside. Without it falling down or looking too trashy. Conduit? PVC pipe? Height is not an issue either. I'm only 11 ft 6.

I want to use something like this for the plug. Id like to find a 20 amp outlet. This one is only 15.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-125-Volt-Straight-Blade-Grounding-Power-Inlet-Outlet-Gray-001-05278-CWP/301304898?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D27E|27-2_WIRING_DEVICES|NA|PLA|71700000034239053|58700003946878363|92700031954447748&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOWNtaS54wIVh5-fCh1_AwaOEAQYASABEgKS0fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am not going to work on it until this winter. Right now I'm just bouncing ideas around.

We are actually going to do 2 campers. My brother is adding a second unit to his also. BUT his is a 50 amp and is pre-wired . We are going to do his first.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Found this on your link's page  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-20-Amp-125-Volt-Straight-Blade-Grounding-Inlet-Outlet-Gray-15378-CWP/301304864?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-301304898-_-301304864-_-N

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

I just cant figure out how I am going to run a wire across the ceiling and down the wall and outside. Without it falling down or looking too trashy. Conduit? PVC pipe? 

Do you mean to use something like this  https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-ft-Cable-Cover-with-Adhesive-Backing-33636/306838777 

Spot

jenandjon, three is "Wire Mold" which I think is the correct product name at HD, Menards, and Lowes. It is metal and you can fasten it to the ceiling and side wall with screws. You run single wires thru it. Then snap cover on. They have all sorts of fittings, 45, 90, etc. for corners. I've seen it in both beige and white.

Check the amperage ratings on the new unit. Make sure the wire , outlets,  plugs etc are all rated for what the potential of the units draw. If you're running wire inside the wire mold looks better than emt,  flex, or PVC conduits and comes in different sizes to accommodate the wire and either plastic or metal. It can be painted.  Anything outside should be PVC and wire, outlets etc rated for wet locations 

Be sure to include an appropriately sized fuse or circuit breaker where the second feed comes into the RV.  Yes, it will be protected by the pedestal's breaker if you plug it into a 15 or 20 amp outlet.  But it won't be if someone uses an adapter to plug into a 30 or 50 amp feed.

Edited by Lou Schneider

17 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

jenandjon, three is "Wire Mold" which I think is the correct product name at HD, Menards, and Lowes. It is metal and you can fasten it to the ceiling and side wall with screws. You run single wires thru it. Then snap cover on. They have all sorts of fittings, 45, 90, etc. for corners. I've seen it in both beige and white.

Yes I think that will work. I couldn't remember what to call it. I worked with a similar product some 20 years ago. It was pretty cheap and didn't work well. I googled it and checked the link $Spot gave me. It looks like a much better product than it was before.

15 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Be sure to include an appropriately sized fuse or circuit breaker where the second feed comes into the RV.  Yes, it will be protected by the pedestal's breaker if you plug it into a 15 or 20 amp outlet.  But it won't be if someone uses an adapter to plug into a 30 or 50 amp feed.

That is a good idea.

• 1 month later...

Before you start putting wiremold on the ceiling try to run a fish tape from the 14" opening inside the ceiling cavity across to the wall.  I have found that there are rarely any restrictions above the ceiling left to right.  If this is clear you will need to cut a hole in the ceiling at the wall and use your wiremold down the wall.  BTW - how are you going to be sure that you have the needed bracing in the roof/ceiling for an AC unit.  When you say "older Jayco" I think of wood framing rather than aluminum.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I recently cut out the opening where my roof top ac was for my mini split ac install. Some serious wood there for the lag screws to go in. This was 2X8 thick layer plywood. Stronger than board. You are not going to have anything like that up there. You would need to cut out a larger section of the roof to reinforce it.Doeable but right much work. I believe a mini split be less work and more efficent. If you have a space on the wall you could put the interior unit on, be simple. My 110v 12k unit only needs a 15 amp breaker and actually 2 of them would run on a 15 amp circiut. They are heat pump also. app $850.00. This will run easily on your 30 amp unit. All you need is a hole saw, set of manifold ac guages, vaccumm pump, hand tools.  Vaccumm pump and guages are rentable at autozone, or any parts retailer. Get refund back when they returned also. sweet deal.Unit comes precharged. You pull vaccumm and release gas. Turn on.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2019 at 7:03 PM, RandyA said:

Before you start putting wiremold on the ceiling try to run a fish tape from the 14" opening inside the ceiling cavity across to the wall.  I have found that there are rarely any restrictions above the ceiling left to right.  If this is clear you will need to cut a hole in the ceiling at the wall and use your wiremold down the wall.  BTW - how are you going to be sure that you have the needed bracing in the roof/ceiling for an AC unit.  When you say "older Jayco" I think of wood framing rather than aluminum.

I talked to the dealer and they said it would be fine and to go for it. It is wood frame.

I have the extra unit. Now I just wait until after harvest so I have time to install it. I will document it as I go.

On 8/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, GlennWest said:

I recently cut out the opening where my roof top ac was for my mini split ac install. Some serious wood there for the lag screws to go in. This was 2X8 thick layer plywood. Stronger than board. You are not going to have anything like that up there. You would need to cut out a larger section of the roof to reinforce it.Doeable but right much work. I believe a mini split be less work and more efficent. If you have a space on the wall you could put the interior unit on, be simple. My 110v 12k unit only needs a 15 amp breaker and actually 2 of them would run on a 15 amp circiut. They are heat pump also. app $850.00. This will run easily on your 30 amp unit. All you need is a hole saw, set of manifold ac guages, vaccumm pump, hand tools.  Vaccumm pump and guages are rentable at autozone, or any parts retailer. Get refund back when they returned also. sweet deal.Unit comes precharged. You pull vaccumm and release gas. Turn on.

Well thats $850. I got a couple AC units for free. So thats why I going that way.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I traded that trailer off and got a different one. This one is 50 amp and prepped for a second AC. That will make the job easier.

• 2 months later...

I traded my old trailer off on an 06 Forest River Cardinal. IT is wired for a second AC unit.

Last summer a friend of mine and I spent weeks pulling campers out of a campground that were flooded. He has been parting them out. So, last Saturday I went down to our RV junk yard and grabbed an AC unit. Set it up on saw horses to test it. It works great. Just have to finish straightening the fins. It ran a good half hour. Compressor kicked on and off as it should. Good cold air coming out. I ordered this gasket and the first Saturday after this shows up I'm installing it. If my calculations are correct this will put me right a 13'6''

The shroud has a pretty good crack in it. I taped it together on the bottom and put a bunch of gorilla glue on it. I will flip it over and do the same on the bottom when this cures.

HBuBvQ7l.jpg

rDvjCIsl.jpg

bAzyUIFl.jpg

XzC5UpPl.jpg

Yea its old but it was free. If it goes kaput I have another one. Free also. To me its worth it. I will have roughly $25 in the whole project. If  I had an extra grand laying around I would go with a new one.

• 2 months later...