Why you should really, really update your Logitech wireless dongle

RV_

If you have Logitech universal USB dongles like used for their wireless mice and keyboards, read this:

Excerpt

"MouseJack never really went away

Three and a half years ago, a security researcher broke into my laptop without ever needing to touch it. He didn’t even need its network address. All he had to do was sniff out my Logitech wireless mouse’s tiny USB receiver, fire off a few lines of code, and start typing things that appeared on my screen. He could have wiped my hard drive, installed malware, or worse, much as if he’d had physical access to my PC.

Practically any Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard would be vulnerable to this issue, they said. It was the kind of hack I’d laugh at in a terrible hacker movie — the kind that seems too convenient* to actually exist.

But when I wrote about the so-called “MouseJack” hack in 2016, I figured that was that. I’d given the issue attention in a major technology news publication, lots of people were reading about it, and Logitech had already issued a patch.

Yet I’m now learning that the world may not be rid of MouseJack yet.

Earlier this week, security researcher Marcus Mengs revealed that Logitech’s wireless Unifying dongles are actually vulnerable to a variety of newly discovered hacks as well, primarily ones that are paired with presentation clickers, or during a brief window of opportunity when you’re pairing a new mouse or keyboard to the dongle. I didn’t think much of that last one — Logitech’s peripherals come pre-paired, and you’d have to be a pretty lucky hacker to know exactly when someone has lost their dongle (or mouse) and is setting up a new one.

Something else in Meng’s report (and ZDNet’s coverage) caught my eye, however — an allegation that Logitech is still selling USB dongles vulnerable to the original MouseJack hack."

For more details go to the article here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/14/20692471/logitech-mousejack-wireless-usb-receiver-vulnerable-hack-hijack

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

You didn't read the article did you? There are 41 comments after it that you can post that comment in. My Logitech dongle receivers work from across our large living room, about 30 feet. Airports, RV Park, and other WiFi opportunities including fast food places and coffee shops? Many folks use a wireless mouse instead of their TouchPad. But quibbling aside, get the firmware updates if you care, if not, don't. I just put the info out there for those who do.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire