Shopping for a Class A questions

R & B Machida

Just joined, and first question.  We are planning on purchasing a Class A.  We have done research and watched videos.  Our biggest problem is that we live in Alaska where Class As are few, and it is miles and miles to go to the nice dealers.  We are planning on being snowbirds now in the winters.  We have a truck and 5th wheel to use for trade in.  We like using dealers because then we could trade in.  However, I have seen some coaches on RVTrader that I like.  We called one today, asked our questions, then asked how the seller would feel about us hiring an RV inspector to look over the coach before we would go down.  He said we need to fly down to look at it before hiring an inspector.  Has anyone else out there purchased an RV from a distance.  We would go down for the final inspection, but how do we know it is the right choice before spending the extra money for an inspector, or before buying plane tickets?  Any suggestions?  

Bridget 

I don't think I would think about a trip until the inspector had delivered a final inspection report with pictures/video to support. I have worked with an RV inspector and his attention to detail was impressive. Cost is not inexpensive but you will have an accurate representation of the unit's condition.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Why don't you bring your 5th wheel down south for the winter and do your trade?  If you're keeping the truck you can both drive back in the motorhome and the truck.  You'll have a bigger choice down here.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

5 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Why don't you bring your 5th wheel down south for the winter and do your trade? 

I would agree with this approach. Most areas that are popular snowbird wintering grounds also have many dealers and even consignment dealers. Shopping RV Trader first to get a feel for prices is a good thing, but waiting until you are in the area would give you much more flexibility. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When we sold our motorhome we waited until we hit or winter spot in Arizona then listed in on Craigslist a RV Trader. A couple from Phoenix came down to see and test drive it and then hired a inspector to go through it and ultimately purchased. Lots of RV's sitting at the resort we stay at and I'm sure it's like that in most of the parks. OH, the lead from Craigslist is the one that sold it.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Without knowing additional details it would be hard for me to venture an accurate guess as to why the seller is suggesting you see his unit prior to arranging an inspection.  If you are talking about a used unit priced in the $60,000 to $80,000 range then maybe he is of the opinion that you would be wasting your money hiring an inspector.  On the other hand, if you are talking about a newer DP in the $200,000 to $300,000 range then possibly he is hiding something, who knows.

I would be inclined to come south for the winter and do my trading like others have suggested.  There are a lot of RV deals made during the winter months in Arizona, Texas, and Florida.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

If you think the RV in question is the one you really want. Point blank tell the seller, that if it can not be inspected - you'll move on. Suspect something is being hidden... Or possibly, it's been for sale for a period time, and they're tired of showing it to inspectors, who then find items:)! 

And I agree with the bring your Fiver down with you, and find and work a deal locally. Priced right, usually higher then trade in value, your Fiver will move fast enough for you... 

Happy hunting, and delayed welcome!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We are also shopping for a class A - we have looked and looked on the common websites (RV trader etc) as well as talked with probably 20 different dealers all across the country. Right now we have made an offer on a coach about 650 miles away. The seller is a private party. He has e-mailed maintenance records to us and we have hired an inspector to do an "on site" - i.e. he will go to the coach. Not as thorough inspection as brining it to a service shop and hooking everything up for 2-3 days. We thought we'd start with the shorter inspection and if the report is good, go down there, look & test drive. Maybe then take it to the service shop for a full look-over. We are first time RV buyers, so don't have any experience ourselves.

Any other suggestions on a better way to go about this process form those of you more experienced ?

2019 Newmar Ventana, pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport

I think your plan is an excellent one. The only additional thoughts I have is to post the year, brand and model here so we can give you feedback on that and to see if you can find an owners forum for that rig so you can get feedback there from people who own those, too.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 months later...
On 7/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, FL-JOE said:

Without knowing additional details it would be hard for me to venture an accurate guess as to why the seller is suggesting you see his unit prior to arranging an inspection.  If you are talking about a used unit priced in the $60,000 to $80,000 range then maybe he is of the opinion that you would be wasting your money hiring an inspector.  On the other hand, if you are talking about a newer DP in the $200,000 to $300,000 range then possibly he is hiding something, who knows.

I would be inclined to come south for the winter and do my trading like others have suggested.  There are a lot of RV deals made during the winter months in Arizona, Texas, and Florida.

When going back north from south Texas on I35 we would pass several huge RV dealerships with MANY motorhomes being sold on consignment. Folks would spend the winter then sell their motorhome instead of taking it back north.

I was told you could get a pretty good deal buying that way.