securing the propane tanks

packnrat

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my thinking is for layers. starting with locking the access hatch. —keeps good people good—.

then bars mounted to the coach body to physically prevent removal.

ending with secure cabling through the handles,

more?

sad for this area, but more bums and walking trash moving in. they are getting pushed out of the city's ( no room for more of them there).

do to my job, i am gone most of the day, and all night. ( gone 18+ hrs a day) so they have plenty of time to do there dead's.  rv is parked so they have easy access.

no street lights.  would cost $10’s of thousands to make a place behind the fence. ( possible blasting? lots of live rock to get out of the hill).

mind is jumbled, just woke up, ( got a whole 6 hrs sleep) burnt breakfast. no time to do anything today, off to work in a hr.

Edited by packnrat

7 hours ago, packnrat said:

my thinking is for layers. starting with locking the access hatch. —keeps good people good—.

then bars mounted to the coach body to physically prevent removal.

ending with secure cabling through the handles,

more?

sad for this area, but more bums and walking trash moving in. they are getting pushed out of the city's ( no room for more of them there).

do to my job, i am gone most of the day, and all night. ( gone 18+ hrs a day) so they have plenty of time to do there dead's.  rv is parked so they have easy access.

no street lights.  would cost $10’s of thousands to make a place behind the fence. ( possible blasting? lots of live rock to get out of the hill).

mind is jumbled, just woke up, ( got a whole 6 hrs sleep) burnt breakfast. no time to do anything today, off to work in a hr.

It is illegal to lock access to LP shut-off valves.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

16 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

It is illegal to lock access to LP shut-off valves.

Every LP bottle exchange business has their LP bottles locked in an enclosure. If the argument is that this is allowed because they are all turned off, then the OP could simply turn off his bottles as he leaves for work and then lock the compartment. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

33 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Every LP bottle exchange business has their LP bottles locked in an enclosure. If the argument is that this is allowed because they are all turned off, then the OP could simply turn off his bottles as he leaves for work and then lock the compartment. 

The difference is that those installations are not covered by NFPA 1192, "Standard on Recreational Vehicles".

tvsWE4ll.jpg

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The difference is that those installations are not covered by NFPA 1192, "Standard on Recreational Vehicles".

Section 5.2.2:

tvsWE4ll.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for the education Dutch.
Now the big question is, in the area of the OP, who is the "Authority Having Jurisdiction" to enforce the NFPA? Not the local police, so??????

2014 smart Fortwo

6 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Just move.  Isn't that  part of the reason you are RVing in the first place?

still locked to a snb house.

as to locking or not? i see no reason to not lock them away. as if a fire, gasoline, diesel are behind locks.  and are far more volatile. ( bigger bang). ( right now my ford has over 40 gals of diesel, the dodge has a good 20 gal of gas, then i guess another odd 20 gas+ couple bbq tanks. in the garage). and if things here were on fire. there are much bigger worries than a couple 7gal ( if full) propane tanks.

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

It is a USDOT rule.The delivery truck must not have their doors to access the tanks locked.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

It is a USDOT rule.The delivery truck must not have their doors to access the tanks locked.

He is not a delivery truck. The US DOT regulations do not apply to him. As an RV he is exempt from the fed regs.

2014 smart Fortwo

29 minutes ago, Big5er said:

He is not a delivery truck. The US DOT regulations do not apply to him. As an RV he is exempt from the fed regs.

Lets back up. We were discussing locking an RV compartment containing an LP tank. That is covered by USDOT rules that state LP tank compartment may not be locked. The same holds true for the LP tank delivery truck. This is also why it is illegal to haul a used LP tank in a car trunk. The storage racks in front of stores are not covered by USDOT, they are covered by  state and local regulations -which usually do not address moving vehicles.

Edit: the correct term is cylinders, permanent ASME tanks fall under that regulation too though.

Edited by Ray,IN

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Interesting. Thanks for the education Dutch.
Now the big question is, in the area of the OP, who is the "Authority Having Jurisdiction" to enforce the NFPA? Not the local police, so??????

NFPA 1192 is incorporated by reference in the RVIA standards that member manufacturers are bound by and HUD uses to differentiate RV's from manufactured housing. There's no AHJ once the RV leaves the manufacturer, although some parks do require RVIA compliance in their guest rules. I suppose there could some local jurisdictions with the requirement as well, although I've never heard of one. As I said previously, common sense would dictate that access to the valves in case of an emergency is a good thing, but there's nothing stopping anyone from slapping a few padlocks on the access door once they own the RV. Securing DOT cylinders of course, is a different issue, and is completely legal even at the manufacturing level. And of course the ASME tanks used in motorhomes are permanently mounted anyway, in effect "locked" to the RV.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

For those of us without a pickup, how are we supposed to take our tanks to get refilled? I don’t want to drag a 40 ft rv down just to get two tanks refilled. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

14 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

For those of us without a pickup, how are we supposed to take our tanks to get refilled? I don’t want to drag a 40 ft rv down just to get two tanks refilled. 

The locked trunk is not legal,  however I've never read or heard of anyone being ticketed.

Big5er, the NFPA standards are entered into the Federal Register each year, in effect making them federal laws.

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Lets back up. We were discussing locking an RV compartment containing an LP tank. That is covered by USDOT rules that state LP tank compartment may not be locked. The same holds true for the LP tank delivery truck. This is also why it is illegal to haul a used LP tank in a car trunk. The storage racks in front of stores are not covered by USDOT, they are covered by  state and local regulations -which usually do not address moving vehicles.

Edit: the correct term is cylinders, permanent ASME tanks fall under that regulation too though.

Show me this regulation. 

2014 smart Fortwo

51 minutes ago, palmeris said:

AHJ would be the fire marshal for the municipality the vehicle is currently located within. 

And I would agree with you there....so in regards to this thread, who will enforce the NFPA regs in an area that is serviced by oh, say a volunteer FD or a small municipal FD? Does anyone think the State Fire Marshall is trolling around RV parks looking for locked compartments? 

2014 smart Fortwo

57 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Big5er, the NFPA standards are entered into the Federal Register each year, in effect making them federal laws.

Dutch quoted NFPA regs. I don't think he is making that up, so I will take his reference as being where he said it is. So again, please show me this regulation and an associated fine schedule. Just saying it is there means nothing. Let's find it so we can all read it.

2014 smart Fortwo