How much healthier did you get?

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

However, if you drive the secondary roads through farming or orchard areas you'll find lots at roadside stands.

Well, "Hello" to a fellow Michigander! So  much to love about the state. If it weren't for the cold winters I could see us moving back.

Just love the idea of finding farms and orchards for fresh produce. I grew up canning and freezing, and it usually started with going to a farm or orchard and picking the produce ourselves. I do miss that. Wonderful childhood memories. :) 

35 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

A few years ago in central Kansas, we were talking to the owner/chef of a local BBQ/steak restaurant. He told us that it was getting harder and harder to get the best grades and prime cuts even though there seemed to cattle everywhere you looked.

We do a lot of restaurant reviews as part of our work, and every time a chef tells us his or her food is "farm to table" I'm reminded where all the best produce is going (that, and being shipped out of state), and why it isn't in the stores. Very interesting that you spoke with a chef who is also having that problem. I do wonder if exporting brings in so much more profit that locals are left behind.

Wish they'd send more superb Midwestern beef down this way...!

The biggest complaint I hear is "losing muscle mass".  This occurs from guys who have a home and workout routine and  occurs on their first long RV travel trip (90 days to six months).  Most campers don't carry workout weights.

Our travel experience is less weight training but more walking and biking.  However, we start each day with a 2.5 mile walk.  I wouldn't go anywhere without it.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I see more overweight RVers than the other kind.  RV park exercise rooms are empty.   People use "swimming" pools to stand and talk. Hiking groups attract a few people.

The most attended events involve eating.  Your health will be what you make it, but I do agree that changing scenery is good for ME to keep walking.  Just the tear-down and setup of a 5er is pretty good exercise.

Edited by hemsteadc

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

I see more overweight RVers than the other kind.  RV park exercise rooms are empty.   People use "swimming" pools to stand and talk. Hiking groups attract a few people.

The most attended events involve eating.  Your health will be what you make it, but I do agree that changing scenery is good for ME to keep walking.  Just the tear-down and setup of a 5er is pretty good exercise.

The newer generation of RVers, especially younger full-timers working on the road such as the Xscapers group of the Escapees, are much more active and their activities don't revolve around the clubhouse and food. They don't play Bingo. The Boomer group is somewhat the same. They do active things.   I think you'll be seeing a big change in the future.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

You don't see many 82 year olds in exercise rooms. Years ago we rode a bike on a regular basses .  Years ago we walked or ran on a regular basis . We can't do that anymore.  4 years ago we pulled all our Rv wheels  checked the brakes, greased,etc them we had knee surgery.We can't do that anymore.Years ago we belonged to a exercise club . We don't do that anymore. My MD tells me I am in good shape for a man of my age and my reply is   right as most men my age are dead.

I do like the eating events and we still can do that. Time  takes its toll.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

4 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

The newer generation of RVers, especially younger full-timers working on the road such as the Xscapers group of the Escapees, are much more active and their activities don't revolve around the clubhouse and food. They don't play Bingo. The Boomer group is somewhat the same. They do active things. 

Yes, that's the sort of thing I'm thinking (we're Boomers, ((and Xscapers, eventually,)) so I guess we fit). I can't imagine doing Bingo. Maybe once, just to say we had, but not very often. Happy Hour, yes. Buffet, not a chance.

3 hours ago, richfaa said:

My MD tells me I am in good shape for a man of my age and my reply is   right as most men my age are dead.

I do like the eating events and we still can do that.

Bless your heart! That's adorable! :D 

I tried bingo at a campground  we were staying in and  I was  with a bunch old ladies watching like 15 cards each  yelling at me that I was to slow  in watching the two I had. That was enough for me. There are many, many good restaurants  here on the 192 strip in Kissimmee and it is actually cheaper  in most cases for the two of us to eat out. We do not do  buffet except for Chinese  restaurants and there are many  good ones here. It is only natural that younger people do more active  things most of the RV resorts in Florida are 55 and over retirement communities and 55 is a youngster. Heck I have a belt that is 55 years old. The most active activity is Golf and our Community is built around a 18 hole Golf course. Your perspective  on life changes as you get older.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

6 hours ago, richfaa said:

. My MD tells me I am in good shape for a man of my age and my reply is   right as most men my age are dead.

LOL.. good job. Yes, it's a shame when the body won't perform anymore. So many RVers have had hips and knees done.  Some are active after that, some aren't. 

What surprises me is how many people use CPAP.   After residential refrigerators, Cpaps are a big concern for dry campers.

Edited by hemsteadc

2 hours ago, richfaa said:

There are many, many good restaurants  here on the 192 strip in Kissimmee and it is actually cheaper  in most cases for the two of us to eat out. We do not do  buffet except for Chinese  restaurants and

Well, hi there, neighbor! We're not far from you, and yes, Orlando has some excellent restaurants. Can't wait for Magical Dining Month! :) 
I don't have any belts that are 55, but my teeth are about that old. ;) 

Some of the very best restaurants are in EPCOT in the international village. WE both worked at WDW as winter casuals  for a few years  and  received huge  discounts  at these restaurants so we have been to everyone of them .

We no longer  work at WDW and  can no longer afford to eat there but we been there done that.

Our oldest son works at Magic Kingdom right now, and has also worked at Animal Kingdom. His girlfriend just got transferred from the Poly to Galaxy's Edge in Hollywood Studios, so she's seriously excited!

We do a huge amount of work focused on Disney and Orlando, and we do restaurant reviews for a magazine, so we've been very lucky to have dined all around WDW. As much as we love Epcot (and we love Epcot a LOT), in our opinion Disney Springs now has it beat for the overall best dining. But, as you say, it's pricey. 

Where did you work? Did you enjoy it?

Edited by Bigthinkers

28 minutes ago, Bigthinkers said:

Our oldest son works at Magic Kingdom right now, and has also worked at Animal Kingdom. His girlfriend just got transferred from the Poly to Galaxy's Edge in Hollywood Studios, so she's seriously excited!

We do a huge amount of work focused on Disney and Orlando, and we do restaurant reviews for a magazine, so we've been very lucky to have dined all around WDW. As much as we love Epcot (and we love Epcot a LOT), in our opinion Disney Springs now has it beat for the overall best dining. But, as you say, it's pricey. 

Where did you work? Did you enjoy it?

I was at the Hall of presidents, Liberty Square, Magic Kingdom.Helen also in the magic Kingdom food service and worked at I think every restaurant in the MK. Disney Springs is also a great place  to eat and have been to most all of them over the years.My favorite is  the Earl of Sandwich. We both enjoyed working at WDW mostly because we did not  have to work there. The perks were great and what small salary we made added to our travel  account. I enjoyed meeting and  talking to people from all over the word at the HOP.  The perks included discounts at restaurants including Disney Springs your WDW ID card was good for 10/20 %  at many restaurants. My general reply is that I enjoyed working at Disney.I did  not enjoy working for Disney.

2 minutes ago, richfaa said:

My general reply is that I enjoyed working at Disney.I did  not enjoy working for Disney.

I "get" this, 100%! There's Disney, and then there's Disney Corporation. Two very different things. 

We've chosen which Cast Member roles we'd like at Disney, in case this whole travel writing thing ever goes belly-up. Husband wants to be a boat driver and I'd be happy with the role of Fairy Godmother. At least for a while. ;)  

I may pretty sure that you would have to be full  time cast members for both of those  roles. I had a friend that worked at the HOP that went to being a fairy  Godmother and she loved it. I drove a bus all kinds after we retired and while waiting for Helen to retire.We had all the qualifications for a WDW bus driver but it was a full time position and that was not going to happen

2 hours ago, richfaa said:

I may pretty sure that you would have to be full  time cast members for both of those  roles.

You don't have to be "full time" for either role, in the sense that you don't have to work a 30-40 hour week (which is hard to get at Disney anyway). You're right that you have to be a full, year-round Cast Member, at least to play the role of Fairy Godmother, as in, not third-party (as, for example, CMs who work at Rainforest Cafe, Yak & Yeti and other third-party vendors are). I'm not sure what the requirements are for boat captains, but we do have a retiree friend who captains part-time (ETA: part time, but year-round!).

We would only do this if we return to Florida, live full-time in Orlando, and are no longer travel writers.

Edited by Bigthinkers

On 7/16/2019 at 1:52 PM, 2gypsies said:

The newer generation of RVers, especially younger full-timers working on the road such as the Xscapers group of the Escapees, are much more active and their activities don't revolve around the clubhouse and food. They don't play Bingo. The Boomer group is somewhat the same. They do active things.   I think you'll be seeing a big change in the future.

I don't but it. We have stayed at RV parks and campgrounds all over the U.S. Most folks we see and meet spend their time either sitting in their campsites drinking and eating, going out to dinner or as others stated, "sitting" in the pool shooting the breeze while having a drink. We see folks a whole lot younger than we are riding from their campsite to the showers in a golf-cart instead of walking and most of them really need to get off their butts and do some exersize , like maybe walking to the restrooms. These are NOT 82 year old people in poor health. They go out to eat every night or just put some red meat on the grill. Lots of beer and liquor, many starting in the morning and going until they pass out at night. Don't get me wrong. I like to occasionally sit around and shoot the breeze while have a beer or a drink. But my camping experiences don't revolve around that. Sure there are some of us that like to hike, bike ride, swim in the pools and find the local activities. But it has been my observation that we are in the minority. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

1 hour ago, chuckbear said:

Lots of beer and liquor, many starting in the morning and going until they pass out at night.

And...that right there is what puts me off staying in campgrounds. We love our gin&tonics and a great bottle of wine, but just the thought of drunken neighbors makes me break out in hives.

Tell me it's not like that everywhere. That's my nightmare.

1 hour ago, chuckbear said:

Sure there are some of us that like to hike, bike ride, swim in the pools and find the local activities. But it has been my observation that we are in the minority.

Is that because the ones sitting around are visible while the ones out hiking and biking are not? Even when it comes to swimming the ones who actually swim are usually at the pool during off hours, not in the middle of the day.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We are not against having a drink as we do but IMO there is way to much drinking among the older retired folks The bar at our complex  is well attended.  We are in a very large complex and a golf cart of some other mode of transportation is a must as many have physical  issues that  would make it impossible  to get around if not for a alternate mode of transportation. The complex also has many organized exercise programs that are well attended. We old folks  can't do what we did 10/20/30  years ago but  we do the best we can.

3 minutes ago, Bigthinkers said:

And...that right there is what puts me off staying in campgrounds. We love our gin&tonics and a great bottle of wine, but just the thought of drunken neighbors makes me break out in hives.

In our three years of full-timing we did not run into any of that so I feel I can safely say it's not like that everywhere. I did stop in one park as a snowbird that was having a gathering of like-minded people who were there to party but they warned me of that before I parked so I moved on down the road.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 minutes ago, Bigthinkers said:

It is not like that everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Bigthinkers said:

Maybe not "everywhere" but in a lot of places. Nothing drives me crazy more than a group of loud adults sitting around a campfire half the night talking and laughing at the top of their lungs. Dispite the fact that they are sitting 3 feet from each other. we have had them in almost every campground we have been in. And there is never a Ranger, Park Host or owner to be found after the office closes. It doesn't matter whether its a State park, Rv Resort or small locally owned park. We have found them in Florida, New York, Michigan, Montana, Washington, Utah, New Mexico, you name the state. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Honestly, in 16 years of full-timing, and traveling constantly we just didn't encounter drunks.  We were also volunteers in parks and can say this is not an issue.

I think SANDSYS is correct in saying that the active people aren't seen. They're out doing things and I still feel that younger RVers, for the most part, are more active.  Health and eating right is a big part of their lives.  In other generations we didn't hear a lot about either on television or in the news.  There are health clubs all over now even in the smallest of towns. Every public government offers classes of all types for all ages.  Kids get into sports at young ages. I can't even recall sports teams when I was young.  Sporting stores do a big business for all equipment and clothes.  Go to a bigger RV 'resort' and take a look at the Pickleball courts they have nowadays.  A huge amount are playing and competing against other local clubs.  Senior Olympics is always a big draw for all kinds of sports - and  some participants are in their 80's.  Even when traveling we were able to compete.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel