RVing questions

Nillinator

Im in the early stages in getting pre-owned RV. Still doing research but I have more and more questions every day.

My wife and I plan to tour around the country, stopping at some RV camp  and using a vehicle to get around until we are satisfied with the sightseeing

My first choice is ClassA pusher because the door is where passenger sits whereas  the gas models, my second choice, the doors are farther back and take away prime space. I would need a toad or rent a car during layovers.

ClassC is my third choice but again, toad or rent a car.

TRavelTrailers are ok,I wont need a car but will need a HDtruck. Same with 5th wheelers except the truck would need 5th wheel hitches.. Ive driven trailers before but local in city streets. So the warning I read about the swaying kinda steers me away.

One thing I like is having a washer/dryer. 

We will be retired with limited income and dont want financing the startup to hurt our ability to travel.

So with this information, which RV would be my best option? 

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you join us here and we will do our best to help and support you in your plans. It is very difficult for one to say for sure what particular type of RV will best suit you and your wife. Most of us do have opinions about what type is best for different styles of travel and for different people but mostly that is based on our own priorities and preferences. I happen to prefer a class A because of our experiences and ours was a gas powered one, which we chose of what were good reasons, for us. It served us very well for 12 years and we actually owned it for 14 years. But I also know that others have had similar experiences to ours while living in a fifth wheel or a diesel coach. The same could be said for a class C or even a travel trailer and there are also some who live quite well in class B RVs. My suggestion is that you spend at least a full day at the largest RV show that you can find and with both in each RV that seems to appeal, do a walk through of the sort of actions that you would do at the same times if living it each one. Stand in the shower, sit on the potty, pretend to make a meal, watch TV, think of the day one is sick and the other keeping busy, and every scenerio that you can think of. If you are like most of us, at some point you will find an RV that just seems to feel right for both of you. And as you are shopping, do not overlook the rigs called super C's.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

One thing that will help would be an idea of what type of traveling do you think you will want to do?  Move every few days, move every week or two, or stay a month or more and then move. 

We have a DP, but unlike many, ours is a mid-door because I want to be exit from the kitchen right onto the patio, under the awning,  without going through the living area.   As to losing room at the front, our front seats swivel and once moved back, we don't really lose anything.  BTW - you end up spending most days outside, either enjoying the warmth of the day or off exploring.

Agree with the w/d, that was a must on my list.  

You didn't say how much experience you've had with RVs, but would recommend renting at least once, if not more, to see what it is like.  Class Cs are the most common type of rental, but there are some firms that also rent Class As (usually gassers).  Better to spend the money on a rental to find out that it really isn't your thing, than buying one and regretting your purchase.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

It may not solve the question of diesel or gas, but the best thing we did to get a firm fix on what kind of RV we wanted (and needed for the style of travel we'll do) is to get into a LOT of RVs, of every kind. Attend one of the big RV shows and spend a couple of days walking through rigs, pretending you live in them. Sit on the toilet. Lay on the bed. Sit at the dining table. Stand in the galley and imagine prepping food for a meal. Think about how that rig will feel if you're stuck inside for a few days during bad weather. Open and close the cupboards and feel the quality (or lack thereof). Look around and imagine your belongings in it. Take note of which kind (and especially which size) you CAN put a washer/dryer in.

For us, it very quickly became obvious which kind of RV we would be happiest in. All the reading I'd done gave me an idea of what we might want, but being IN several dozen RVs made it crystal-clear.

Edited by Bigthinkers

8 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

For us, it very quickly became obvious which kind of RV we would be happiest in. All the reading I'd done gave me an idea of what we might want, but being IN several dozen RVs made it crystal-clear.

And what is it that you might want?   Why did you eliminate other types?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Just now, 2gypsies said:

I'd be afraid to answer those questions given how much she has been attacked for her other answers.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

40 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

A Class A motorhome.

Since the OP's question was, "So with this information, which RV would be my best option?" I was responding only to that one question, not with the TYPE of RV that's right for HER, or the FEATURES in any given RV, but with the process we used to decide which TYPE of RV would work best for us. Nothing more, nothing less. :) 

We eliminated Class Cs because we want something larger than the biggest Class C,  we didn't care for the Class C cab (it's right for many, but not for us), and we had some concerns about the wheel base (I think that's what it's called; the amount of overhang behind the rear tires) on larger Class Cs. We eliminated Trailers straight from the get-go because that isn't right for our needs, and while we thought about 5th wheels, ultimately the Class A works best for us.

But this isn't about me, it's about the original poster. I just answered the question she asked as best I could.

Bigthnkers:  I asked because I thought since you've been recently going through the transition your thoughts on the various types might bring an 'aha' moment to the OP and give them something that they hadn't thought of.  Thanks!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I guess my point (not well made, apparently! ;) ) was that the questions we had about what was right for us didn't come from reading about various RVs, it came from actually being IN them and imagining how we'd live while we were actually IN different types of RVs. We initially thought we wanted a 28-30 foot Class C, but once we were in it for 10 minutes or so, it quickly closed in around us. I'm quite certain that isn't the case for many, many people. So I was trying to say, for US, at least, being IN lots of different RVs answered that question, and maybe it would for the OP, too. :) We subsequently narrowed down a lot of the options and floor plans by spending a lot of time in different Class As. I hope it's helped us get our ultimate decision as right as we can, while still being very aware that hanging out in an RV that isn't yours and is parked in a lot somewhere isn't the same as actually living in it!

Edited by Bigthinkers

I have no experience at all with RVs. I eliminated a few of the smaller footage and dont want the feel of being cramped in. The 5th/w or the TT lenght of 30ft PLUS the length of tow vehicle makes me a bit nervous. 

Im taking your advice and will visit some shows and dealers and make a decision once I test them  all!

oust

1 minute ago, Nillinator said:

Im taking your advice and will visit some shows and dealers and make a decision once I test them  all!

I don't know where you are located but, if you are anywhere near Houston, PPL is a good place to go. They have all kinds of rigs. You sign in at the front desk then head out to the lot where no one bothers you until you come back in and ask for help. You are free to spend hours looking at anything that catches your eye.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We could probably help you more if we had some idea where you are located as there are not a lot of RV shows going on at this time of year. You can find a listing of shows on the RVIA website, by the RV industry. 

If you're in or near Florida, the show in Tampa is excellent (HUGE!). There is also a massive dealership nearby (LazyDays) as well as several smaller (but still significant) dealerships. They're all in the same general area. I can't say we were overly impressed by the salesman's knowledge at LazyDays, but we were there mainly to get a feel for various floor plans and brand qualities, so his lack of insight didn't really matter. Great area to visit if you want to see a LOT of rigs within a 10 mile radius.

Thanks for all your replies. I am in Philadelphia PA and The next show I found is in September. 

I found this for Rv dealers near me. http://www.rvpark411.com/rv-dealers/rv-dealers-in-pennsylvania.html

Right now, Im trying to see what the cost will be. Since I dont own a truck, a major expense would be the purchase of one (I decided on a Ram 2500 or 3500, depending on what I find used), second would be the trailer and third would the 5th wheel hitch with installation if I decide on that type.

I would be comparing this cost to a motorhome and a dolly or other towing method, 

add insurance and warranties and maintenance expenses and locations that allow long RVs, where to service if anything breaks down and of course fuel consumption.

I must choose the best comfort that fits my budget. Means I would have to get preowned. My fear is I dont know what to look for or how to test everything to see if they work properly when buying one. 

Nello

13 minutes ago, Nillinator said:

Means I would have to get preowned. My fear is I dont know what to look for or how to test everything to see if they work properly when buying one. 

There are two means of dealing with these issues. You may be able to locate a professional inspector for checking potential RVs to be purchased. If not, get a mobile RV tech and plan to pay for his time and most of them are happy to check one for you. You can get some ideas on what used RVs sell for by studying the RV Trader electronic advertising bulletin.