Engine Performance up-tuning

CharlieF

We have one on our 2004 f-350 and it is real easy to use just plug in and it tells you what to do depending on what you want,towing or normal driving. We have 2 towing and a couple of performance modes will look tomorrow to see what brand. We’re very happy with it on a bullet proofed 6.0 liter that tows a lot more than it was rated for stock and good mileage too. 

If you mean one of the performance mosuals, we also have one installed in our 2003 Dodge/Cummins. These generally may have some selectable settings but operate by themselves once installed and set up with little or no intervention by the operator. Power Programmers plug in to the OBDII port under your vehicle's dashboard. These programmers let you punch in some info about your vehicle, including the type of driving you want to do and what kind of modifications you've made to your car or truck. I have no experience with one of those. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, CharlieF said:

I’m curious about those software devices that are used to up-tune engine performance. Are they difficult to operate and which devices have people used?

There's no "generic" answer. 

Go to one of the brand specific diesel forums (several for each) for your brand of truck.  It will have various sub-sections by the engines and transmissions for various years of your vehicle.

Find out what the owners (again - for your brand of truck) have to say - pros & cons as you add power modifications.

1 hour ago, ARGO said:

Yeah, but it's way cool to pass a big HP Moho uphill at 65, & shift to 10th as you  get next to him/her............

It's even more fun to stop and ask if you need a ride a few miles later as you sit on the side of the road with a torn up tranny, blown turbo or worse.

I do have to admit, not many of the super duper pickups pass me on steep grades though.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

6 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

It's even more fun to stop and ask if you need a ride a few miles later as you sit on the side of the road with a torn up tranny, blown turbo or worse.

I do have to admit, not many of the super duper pickups pass me on steep grades though.

X2

Goergia ya` musta` been reading my mind.

Could not have said it better.

Welcome to the forum!

In a hurry to get somewhere?  Stock albeit slower saves repairs/parts.  I jumped on the bandwagon a few years back and chipped s 6-ohhh... now that pick-up has a new 18k engine.  I won't do that again nor would I recommend it, IMHO.  Does not matter the brand of truck/engine, they have breaking points.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Every time this subject comes up, I get to asking myself the same questions.  If it's possible to electronically tune our vehicles to where they get better mileage and more power than stock, why doesn't the manufacturer do it before it leaves the factory.  After all, they are always under the gun to provide more power and efficiency.

I always end up answering myself in the same way, because either the environment will suffer or the vehicle will sacrifice some durability..........or both.  So, I end up not getting it done.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

You can buy tuners for trannys only without ratcheting up the power.  BUT, some I would not.  Take mine for instance, when guys start bumping up their eng horsies and changing shift points, they end up dropping in 8 to 12k trannys.  The transmissions just can't take the added power, they shred.  What I do is watch the grade/speed/RPM and shift mine before needed.  I leave my exhaust brake full on at all times.

Did you say what truck/eng/tranny/gears you run?

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Hi Birdman

i just downsized from a 40’ SuperC with a 350 Cummins to a 25’ C on a Ford 450 with a V10. Times have changed and this better suits our needs. I just need to get used to the vast difference in engine performance and handling. Thanks for your comments.

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

If it's possible to electronically tune our vehicles to where they get better mileage and more power than stock, why doesn't the manufacturer do it before it leaves the factory. 

When you talk of an engine that was just introduced, it is very common for the manufacturers to upgrade the engine mostly via changes in computer programs after a year or two. 

53 minutes ago, CharlieF said:

Hi Birdman

i just downsized from a 40’ SuperC with a 350 Cummins to a 25’ C on a Ford 450 with a V10. Times have changed and this better suits our needs. I just need to get used to the vast difference in engine performance and handling. Thanks for your comments.

CharlieF   - the V10....... try to get used to "the vast difference".  May take a while!

Something under warranty?  (Easy answer = DON'T modify).

BTW - Kirk - have yet to hear of a  *mfgr*  "upgrading" the factory hp/tq with a software flash.  Maybe I've missed it.

Easy (safe) upgrade -  - improve air "in" -and-  exhaust "out".  No change to factory engine specs req's.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

I read about tuners that increase mpg and can be “piggybacked” with another tuner. I figger if I hook 3 or 4 together I’ll have to stop down the road somewhere and remove fuel to prevent the tank from overflowing. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

3 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

CharlieF   - the V10....... try to get used to "the vast difference".  May take a while!

Something under warranty?  (Easy answer = DON'T modify).

BTW - Kirk - have yet to hear of a  *mfgr*  "upgrading" the factory hp/tq with a software flash.  Maybe I've missed it.

Easy (safe) upgrade -  - improve air "in" -and-  exhaust "out".  No change to factory engine specs req's.

Pappy,

I can have mine turned up to 605 HP and 2,050 lb-ft of torque at the Cummins dealer. I bought the performance ISX15 selected the HP and torque numbers that I wanted.

Mine is set at 500 HP and for now, that is plenty when combined with 1850 lb-ft of torque.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

18 hours ago, Kirk W said:

When you talk of an engine that was just introduced, it is very common for the manufacturers to upgrade the engine mostly via changes in computer programs after a year or two. 

I also have never heard of this. How do you know if you have the current computer update for your engine? Who do I contact?

18 hours ago, CharlieF said:

Hi Birdman

I towed large fifth wheels with two different Ford V-10 superduty trucks over 20 years. Last year I made the jump to a 6.7L diesel Superduty and will say that they drive totally differently.  The V-10 needs rpm to make its power, so a lot of shifting  in hilly terrain is par for the course. It will definitely get the job done, but in a completely different manner than a diesel engine.  My advice is to not be afraid to let it shift and rev in order to maintain speed on grades. Trying to re-program shift points in order to minimize shifting isn't really what that motor is about. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

16 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I towed large fifth wheels with two different Ford V-10 superduty trucks over 20 years. Last year I made the jump to a 6.7L diesel Superduty and will say that they drive totally differently.  The V-10 needs rpm to make its power, so a lot of shifting  in hilly terrain is par for the course. It will definitely get the job done, but in a completely different manner than a diesel engine.  My advice is to not be afraid to let it shift and rev in order to maintain speed on grades. Trying to re-program shift points in order to minimize shifting isn't really what that motor is about. 

Thank you for your advice I am seriously rethinking about installing one of these tuning modules.

16 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Pappy,

I can have mine turned up to 605 HP and 2,050 lb-ft of torque at the Cummins dealer. I bought the performance ISX15 selected the HP and torque numbers that I wanted.

Mine is set at 500 HP and for now, that is plenty when combined with 1850 lb-ft of torque.

Nice numbers!

Well aware of hp & tq software power upgrades for *DIESEL HDT's*  !!

However........

Apples to oranges!

Is a  Cummins dealer going to help Charlie with his...... *GAS*  burner  V10 ??

(IMO) -  Good & accurate advice & observations  by "mptjelgin" -  regarding the V10.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

8 hours ago, caseyj said:

I also have never heard of this. How do you know if you have the current computer update for your engine?

What I was getting at was changes in the electronic side of things and the associated programing. I have never heard of any upgrade available to previous buyers either but changes in things like timing, fuel flow & mixture, shift points and a host of other things once controled mechanically are today modified with little or no mechanical change. 

Edited by Kirk W