Unlimited Hotspot

There was a thread called "Unlimited Hotspot" tha I managed to get blocked from somehow. I reported the problem. I can't even find the thread so I don;t know what is going on.

In response to Lou Schneider the Mobely was offered earlier this year so I just assumed(I know) it was still around. Maybe ATT just offers it periodically.

Once the admin's get reports on a post, poof, it's gone. I haven't checked lately to see if ATT had an unlimited plan back on their website, but that's where I'd start. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

That topic, if I remember correctly, was a new user promoting Atthotspot.com, a rather questionable web site offfering "unlimited" data on the AT&T network.  What made me question it was the site had no direct contact info and no physical address, just a text number and Facebook/Twitter for support. He also faked a low SKP number and said he was a Life Member.

I reported it and both of his similar threads were removed.  He did the same thing over at RVForum.net with the same results.

The Mobley offer this past winter was to clear out AT&T's final inventory of Mobleys.  It's history.

The Connected Car Unlimited plan is still available, but you need a car with a built-in Onstar type hotspot to use it.  Or you can buy the Mobley's replacement, the Harmon Spark.  But unlike the Mobley the Spark confirms it's actually plugged into a car, and shuts off 10 minutes after the ignition is turned off or after 30 minutes if the car stays in one place with the motor running.  This makes it unsuitable as a Mobley replacement.

Edited by Lou Schneider

We keep a constantly updated list of the best data plans for a 'home internet replacement' (including unlimited options) here:

www.rvmobileinternet.com/planpicks

There are several unlimited AT&T vendors out there, most of them without authorized relationships with AT&T. Many of the $60/month range ones are just reselling the unlimited tablet plan that you can get yourself for $34.99.month. 

AT&T does currently have a legit unlimited data plan specifically for RVers for $360/year - it's only available to Airstream owners, or when using the Togo Roadlink C2 roof top unit. 

You'll find more info on these options in the link above. The Mobley only resurfaced for a brief bit earlier this year, and we don't anticipate it coming back again. But then again, it was a surprise it came back earlier this year too.

- Cherie

Edited by Technomadia

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, jerryneal said:

Verizon has an unlimited prepaid plan.  Looks like it’s back again.  We’ve been using for over a year https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/#singlePlan

The "old" Verizon prepaid plan was not throttled. A lot of "unlimited" plans are throttled after XX number of gigs. Yeah, it is "unlimited" but also virtually unusable after that preset amount. That would be my question about this one. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I think your perception of throttling is not what is done today. I have an "unlimited" ATT plan that might be throttled after 22G if the network is busy. I have now had it for 2-3 years and never been throttled and I have used will over 22G for months at a time. I have not heard of anyone who has been throttled. Looks like the throttling threat is a CYA.

The ATT TOGO plan is no longer limited to Airstreams, anyone can get it and I plan to do so. TOGO.

Costs $360 for the sat dome antennas and $360/yr for the service. $30/mo is a good price from what I've seen. As for it being throttled, I understand that is only if the tower is overloaded, and aren't all these plans throttled the same way. I've seen reports from people saying that they have never been throttled in rural areas.

We are getting visible for my wife's Verizon phone just to have two options.

We also have one phone on ATT and one on Verizon(Visible). We picked up the ATT Mobley offering a while ago(2 years?) and it is $20 a month. Wherever we have gone in the US we mostly had service. Visible, once we final got ourselves sorted out works well. Just be aware that Visible only allows one connected item to its phone hotspot. Easily overcome. Just don't be surprised.

The plan Jerry linked to is a single line phone plan, not the prepaid unlimited hotspot plan that was previously offered. The current largest prepaid hotspot plan is limited to 30GB at 4G/LTE speeds and then drops to 600 Kbps.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

4 hours ago, SWharton said:

I think your perception of throttling is not what is done today. I have an "unlimited" ATT plan that might be throttled after 22G if the network is busy. I have now had it for 2-3 years and never been throttled and I have used will over 22G for months at a time. I have not heard of anyone who has been throttled. Looks like the throttling threat is a CYA.

"Network prioritization" is what happens after 22GB on the Mobley plan, which is not "throttling".  Throttling (what some call "hard throttling") is where the carrier intentionally slows you down.  My  Verizon phone will do 15GB of full speed hotspotting, but at 15GB it is throttled to unusable speeds.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

15 hours ago, jerryneal said:

Verizon has an unlimited prepaid plan.  Looks like it’s back again.  We’ve been using for over a year https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/#singlePlan

This is the smartphone plan - and if you look carefully, it includes no mobile hotspot use at all. 

This should not be confused with the Unlimited Prepaid Jetpack plan (ie. 'pUDP' - http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/pudp) that retired on May 21, 2019 - which did not have hard throttling, but was always subject to network management. 

And for more on understanding the lingo used when describing "unlimited" data plans:

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/unlimited 

Edited by Technomadia

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

"Network prioritization" is what happens after 22GB on the Mobley plan, which is not "throttling".  Throttling (what some call "hard throttling") is where the carrier intentionally slows you down.  My  Verizon phone will do 15GB of full speed hotspotting, but at 15GB it is throttled to unusable speeds.  

Our Cricket phone has unlimited data and no throttling. I don't believe that plan is offered any longer, latest plan is 15G then maybe network prioritization which has never occurred and we used 80G for a couple of months.

7 hours ago, SWharton said:

Looks like the throttling threat is a CYA.

It appears you are confusing throttling with network prioritazation.  

2014 smart Fortwo

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

Call it what you want, if it slows me down it is throttling. nuances.

Have you ever been slowed down on a heavily used tower even with no throttling? That's about the effect we've seen on a few occasions, and we really can't tell if it's from prioritization or just normal traffic density. So far, it's never caused us any problems even when streaming...

Dutch

Strength of signal and download speeds are two different things.  I have a good strong signal where I am.  During the day, I get speeds of 25-50 down and 10-15 up.  In the evening when workers come home and use the cell, my speeds are half of that...............but my signal strength is the same.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Strength of signal and download speeds are two different things.  I have a good strong signal where I am.  During the day, I get speeds of 25-50 down and 10-15 up.  In the evening when workers come home and use the cell, my speeds are half of that...............but my signal strength is the same.

Yep, a good example of the "busy tower" effect that occurs even without deprioritization/network management.

Dutch

16 hours ago, SWharton said:

Call it what you want, if it slows me down it is throttling. nuances.

And that is the problem with the internet. Too many people who, for whatever reason, refuse to educate themselves and then repeat incorrect and inaccurate information. 

2014 smart Fortwo

50 minutes ago, Big5er said:

And that is the problem with the internet. Too many people who, for whatever reason, refuse to educate themselves and then repeat incorrect and inaccurate information. 

And when Verizon slows you down to 600 Kbps after you hit some plan limit, you'll really see the difference between actual "throttling" and a busy tower... ;) 

Dutch