US 291 Between Vernal. UT and Rock Springs, WY

geodog

Since it is a US numbered highway, that would mean it is a normal width highway.  So as long as you are comfortable with mountain driving, I wouldn't think you would have a problem.  

When I wonder about travel on a highway, US, State, County or even local, I go to satellite views on Google Maps, Bing Maps, or Google Earth and take a look.  This way I "know" what to expect and not dependent on what others may have a great concern about or others who think the road may be just fine, but I may not feel the same way.   

Also most times the above maps have 360 degree photo views of the actual road and sharp turns.  Now I know exactly what to expect. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We have driven this route a number of times although not in the past few years. There are grades up to 9%. One section has 10 switchbacks in 9 miles with 15MPH turns. Going from Vernal to Rock Springs is uphill which in my opinion is less stressful than steep downhill grades. If you do not have one, I suggest you get a copy of the Mountain Directory. Some years the road surface on the route from Vernal to Green River is better. Just depends when the last resurfacing was done. Otherwise, to me they are about the same.

Your subject line state '291'.  I think you mean 191.

From Vernal you will be going uphill for the biggie of a 2.5 mi section of 9% with switchbacks.  Going uphill is a lot easier than down! Overall it's 5-7% and when you reach the top at Flaming Gorge you'll have a descent of approx. 8 mi of 5-6%.

We've done both directions with our 40' motorhome with no issues. Use your transmission early on descents; not midway.

It'll be over before you know it!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 1 month later...