Smart car help?

Pete Kildow

Being I know nothing about a smart car. Looked at a clean 2013 Passion today. I have no ideal if this is what most use?

So what should I look for in a smart? Will be redoing the rear of the Kenworth bed to haul one. Will the above one work? Or do I need to look for a different model?

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

13 is the narrower body style, but is slightly longer than the earlier body. Do all the things you would do for any used car purchase. Oil sample, tire condition, brake condition, interior smell. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We've had 2005 ( a 450 gray market - 64th smart in the US), a 2011 (451) and now a 2013 (also 451). Each has been an improvement over the previous, primarily in ride comfort. The 451 is a few inches longer due to European pedestrian impact standards and has a Mitsubishi engine, the 450's had a Mercedes turbo-charged engine. Really not much difference in performance.  We have carried all three crossways on the Volvo deck. Loaded the '05 in March of '06 and have been carrying one ever since.

You often hear comments about safety concerns and most of the people in this forum know there is no reason to be concerned. The reason we bought the 2013 was because the 2011 saved my life (and my passengers) in 50 MPH head on hit from a Chevy pickup running a red light. Seat belt broke my sternum and my passenger had cracked ribs, also from the seat belts, so the smart lived up to my beliefs. The drivers door still opened and closed.

When we are not traveling the smart is my wife's daily driver and she loves it. We prefer the look of the 451 versus the newer ones, but that is just an opinion, all of them are fine for carrying on your HDT.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Pete,

We have a 2013 Passion we bought new.  Have had no issues and that’s what we carry.  We likewise use it as a daily driver when not traveling.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

As far as models, the options are pretty fluid. The  Pure is supposed to be the base model, but if ordered from the factory with the right boxes checked, they could be had with more options than a Passion. The Cabrio is their version of a convertible, and usually has the highest options list. Just remember, these are typically bare bones cars, so options are limited. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

We have a 2015 Smart Brabus.  Bigger wheels in the back like a Corvette but because of the larger tires the engineers put a 2 degree angle on them which makes it look like the tops of the rear tires are bowed in.  It wears the inside of the tires faster than the out side.  I just flip the tires over onto the other rim and keep driving.  I hear tell that the suspension is built that way for performance handling and I believe it.  The car is very nimble and it looks really nice.  We load ours in the back of the toy hauler which has a 12 foot garage.  It takes the wife and I 10 minutes to load and strap it down.

27 minutes ago, chief916 said:

engineers put a 2 degree angle on them which makes it look like the tops of the rear tires are bowed in.  It wears the inside of the tires faster than the out side. 

That's German engineering in action. All smarts have that camber built in. It's part of the package that lets a golf cart handle 85 mph, and turn like it's on rails.

Please e-mail us here.

Chief, my tires have always worn evenly. Maybe I weigh more than you? :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

22 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Chief, my tires have always worn evenly. Maybe I weigh more than you? :)

Turn more aggressively. Forces the tread face of the tire to hang onto the road surface with a flatter face. 😊

Please e-mail us here.

1 minute ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Turn more aggressively. Forces the tread face of the tire to hang onto the road surface with a flatter face. 😊

When I do that, the passenger side air bag hits me upside the head.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

When I do that, the passenger side air bag hits me upside the head.

And she'll hit you again if she sees this!  :lol:

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

COME on Guys not again..... 80 MPH in a smart. Man and my wife calls me Dumb. OOOhh wait that was for not being smart.

Thanks guys and all great info. Going to check into this one more this weekend. It looks clean, doors were locked. But looks like leather seats?

Body is in great shape, new tires. And may be my run around car. At home also, love the 1989 Ford Bronco. But fighting the AC in it. So if I don't get that sorted out. Will just save it for the other 1.5 months I don't need the AC.

But will depend on how much of an issue getting in and out of it. My back does not like low to the ground seats.

event.png

4 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

But will depend on how much of an issue getting in and out of it. My back does not like low to the ground seats.

Pete, getting in and out was the main reason I looked at these smart cars yeas ago.  It does not sit low at all!  Most sportier cars out there have real low seats in them, and that wasn't going to be for me.  The smart works just fine and I'm 6'2" tall.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Just now, HERO Maker said:

Pete, getting in and out was the main reason I looked at these smart cars yeas ago.  It does not sit low at all!  Most sportier cars out there have real low seats in them, and that wasn't going to be for me.  The smart works just fine and I'm 6'2" tall.

Thanks that's good to know. I wanted a new sports car. Until I tried to get out of one. That was the end of that. Sold one in 2003, only had 30K in 4 years. And hated it when it was time to get in or out.

event.png

You folks are looking at this getting out thing the wrong way.  Just open the door, one leg out, roll out of the car on to the ground, then crawl away in the most dignified way you can manage. Only really bad when sleeting...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

On 7/15/2019 at 4:54 PM, adept99 said:

You folks are looking at this getting out thing the wrong way.  Just open the door, one leg out, roll out of the car on to the ground, then crawl away in the most dignified way you can manage. Only really bad when sleeting...

Just remember that strategy hurts a little more than ego if you try it getting out of the truck.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com