alan0043

Applying Decals

Hi Everyone,

I want to add some decals to my truck. The size of the area that the decal would cover is 30"x 36". I will be doing this job by myself. I have seen on line that there are 2 different methods. The dry method and the wet method. Which would be the best ? I can not put the truck inside to do this job. I know it will be best to have shade on the side of the truck when doing this job. I can put one decal on one day and the next day put the second decal on. Wet or dry method ?

Thanks for any help,
Al

Decals, or vinyl?  There's a big difference.  I've never seen decals applied dry.

As Darryl said, if dry, make sure you got it positioned correctly.  I've done a few vinyl signs and had no problem.  Use tape to position/hold everything where you want it and start peeling and pressing as you go, slowly.

Wet and cool, warm water, and add a little "slickum" to the water, and remove the wax off the area of application.

20 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Decals, or vinyl?  There's a big difference.  I've never seen decals applied dry.

As Darryl said, if dry, make sure you got it positioned correctly.  I've done a few vinyl signs and had no problem.  Use tape to position/hold everything where you want it and start peeling and pressing as you go, slowly.

I should have said vinyl. There is already adhesive on one side and the other side you have a sheet of a waxed paper material needs to be removed last. I have found a video or too showing how to do this job. From what I have seen, it will be best to have a helper.

We did our truck with vinyl 2 years ago. Challenging job. We started with lightly misting the truck with soapy water but got tons of bubbles and there was no room for repositioning. Ended up slowly pulling the backing off the whole piece and spraying the soapy water directly on the vinyl adhesive, effectively soaking it. Then you sort of slap it into place on the truck, slide into position and gently squeegee the water out. Worked well, and we were outside the whole time (not in the sun). Good luck!

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

From what I have seen, it will be best to have a helper.

53 minutes ago, noteven said:

Beer helps.

For the guy applying the decals or for locating a helper?

Definitely water and a bit of soap to help squish things around, makes it much more mobile.

Cool temperatures really help as well, and as mentioned before always in the shade.

Good luck on the project!

I have done a lot of it...wet is the only way..

I use a mix of 1/2 water and 1/2 window cleaner..

Will dry in about 1/2 hour. 

A lot of it was outside too.

Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

I want to say ' Thank You ' for the ideas. I have been on the road, so I haven't started putting the vinyl decal on yet.

Al

On 7/18/2019 at 3:00 PM, hdonlybob said:

I have done a lot of it...wet is the only way..

I use a mix of 1/2 water and 1/2 window cleaner..

Will dry in about 1/2 hour. 

A lot of it was outside too.

Good luck.

Hi Bob,

Nice to see you are back on the forum.

Al

And for those little bubbles way out in the middle you can't get out- stab them with a pin at one end and work the air out.