Wireless Hidden Outdoor Security Cams

Im about to go on the road solo and staying in alot of places off the grid.  Im looking for some wireless outdoor security cams that I can watch live on my computer from inside of my RV.  I will have wifi in the RV but prefer not to take the WIFI bandwidth up if there is an alternative way.    Im hoping to watch the outdoor wildlife  and of course for safety reasons.  Anyone have any advice?  Looking to order something from Amazon.   

From our friend Google.

Can I stream video with Bluetooth?
Audio Only. If you don't want to stream video to your TV, but you'd still like to wirelessly beam tunes to your speakers, you can sometimes save a bit of money by installing an audio-only streaming solution. ... Essentially, you have two choices: you can stream via a wireless network, or via Bluetooth

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

8 hours ago, gr8white said:

Im about to go on the road solo and staying in alot of places off the grid.  Im looking for some wireless outdoor security cams that I can watch live on my computer from inside of my RV.  I will have wifi in the RV but prefer not to take the WIFI bandwidth up if there is an alternative way.    Im hoping to watch the outdoor wildlife  and of course for safety reasons.  Anyone have any advice?  Looking to order something from Amazon.   

I think you mean you don't want to use up your internet bandwidth.  You can have cameras connected wirelessly to a router totally independent of your internet service.  Wifi is simply the wireless distribution of your local network, doesn't have to have anything to do with the internet for which you are paying some provider.

There are lot's of IP cameras on the market which will connect to a router.  Your computer simply has to be connected to the same router in order to view those cameras without involving the internet.  In fact, you could have two routers, one for the internet and one for the cameras.  With a second wifi adapter on your computer, you  could connect to both of those routers at the same time.

Here's the problem.  If you're "off the grid", all of this wifi equipment needs power.  I know Amazon has their own brand of wireless security cameras call Blink.  I have no experience with them and don't know if they produce a quality enough picture to study wildlife or not.  At least some of those Blink cameras run off of a battery which they claim lasts a couple of years.  Here is an example Blink outdoor cameras

I'm not recommending those Blink cameras as I have no experience with them.  Also, they may be the type which has to go through their own website before you can view them.  You'll need to study them before buying.  They do offer a method of recording, but it will use your internet connection, which you didn't want.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Ive used a closed circuit system before but set up for cloud recording required opening up ports which isnt easy using hotspot internet.  I currently use 5 blink xt cameras around the site we are parked on:  they are relatively inexpensive, wireless and battery powered, only record when they are triggered, and have free cloud recording, so I can see recordings on my phone anywhere.  They arent the perfect solution, but they meet most of the checkboxes of all the options currently out there.  

49 minutes ago, dartmouth01 said:

I currently use 5 blink xt cameras around the site we are parked on:  they are relatively inexpensive, wireless and battery powered, only record when they are triggered, and have free cloud recording, so I can see recordings on my phone anywhere.  They arent the perfect solution, but they meet most of the checkboxes of all the options currently out there.  

Can you view live from them or only when they record?  Is there a program included to install on your computer where you could view them on a local network without accessing them through the internet?  Thanks.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

4 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Can you view live from them or only when they record?  Is there a program included to install on your computer where you could view them on a local network without accessing them through the internet?  Thanks.

Good question, i did some research and it seems that local storage option wont be coming to blink.  Someone did mention that Arlo's base station does have local storage capability.  If local network access is impt, I'd look elsewhere.  I've set up a few Foscam cameras in my time, and have had them connect to Blue Iris or other NVR software; the problem I had is those always required some sort of power, which I dont want to run in my current situation.

I am not sure wildlife will cooperate with you and come close enough to your cameras to ba able to view. IMO wishful thinking. Wildlife is not that prevalent, you generally just stumble across the wildlife as you hike. Ntional parks are different, wildlife is found in many of the campgrounds.

42 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I am not sure wildlife will cooperate with you and come close enough to your cameras to ba able to view. IMO wishful thinking. Wildlife is not that prevalent, you generally just stumble across the wildlife as you hike. Ntional parks are different, wildlife is found in many of the campgrounds.

If you're talking about bears and elk, probably right.  However, I've never camped anywhere that wildlife didn't approach at night, especially if you've been eating outside.  I guess it depends on what part of the country you're in.  Coons, possums, rabbits, squirrels, birds, mice, snakes, etc. will always mooch a meal if you give them half a chance.

I'm not very techy.  I can turn my Verizon wifi on and obviously use a computer, but other than that I turn to one of my kids or grandkids.

Keeping that in mind, it seems to me the simple way to have a visual and audio view of the outside of any RV would be with a camera like what is used for backing up.  I have one that came mounted up high on the rear of my current Class A.  While stationary I can simply leave it turned on and have a view behind my coach plus audio.  Don't know why you couldn't have these installed on all four sides of your RV to be used when stationary.  They may not scan to a TV but I can see my images very well on the 4"x5" screen on my dash.  Obviously wires would have to be ran but if that type of video/audio security is that important then it might be a reliable way to go.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

A $20 Wyzecam is what I have in the RV.  It needs wifi, but doesn't necessarily use your CELLULAR bandwidth which is what you care about.  When you view it, the traffic just goes over the wifi from the camera directly to your device, not via the internet.  It works without internet service too.  Power is from USB, so you can use any 12v to USB adapter to run it from the batteries.  I did a power test on it and it uses around 1.65 watts, so only 3.3 aH for a full 24 hours.  It's basically nothing.

5 hours ago, chirakawa said:

If you're talking about bears and elk, probably right.  However, I've never camped anywhere that wildlife didn't approach at night, especially if you've been eating outside.  I guess it depends on what part of the country you're in.  Coons, possums, rabbits, squirrels, birds, mice, snakes, etc. will always mooch a meal if you give them half a chance.

I have a mother bear and two cubs who routinely use our site to browse and pass thru, even with a 6 foot fence around it.  Part of the reason I got the cameras.

I also have three Wyze cams, one of the first that they re-engineered, and a couple of their V2 units. But I ended up getting the Ring system with one doorbell, the Chime, and two outside stick up cameras. I may get the new Wyze motorized camera for inside. It will replace my Netgear camera with terrible remote controls to swivel and move up and down. It uses an SD card and is only in our public areas.

The motors are so loud that the motorized ones would likely Spook wildlife.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The Wyze pan/tilt is indeed noisy.  Also, I find it useless as a general home camera.  My sister in law currently has it to see if she can figure out what has damaged her food garden and killed a chicken or two.

I also don't really like the Wyze cams as an all around, but that's partly because I already have recording/management software running on my desktop and it does a far better job than the Wyze cloud system.  I think the Wyze cams are a cheap solution for limited uses.  For general use I'd choose and recommend Amcrest.  Just installed a couple of their super high res cameras, and they are really amazing.

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

For general use I'd choose and recommend Amcrest.  Just installed a couple of their super high res cameras, and they are really amazing.

Are you using the Amcrest Surveillance Pro software.  It looks like a pretty good package, turns your computer into an NVR also.  Will it recognize other brand cameras.  I've been using a Foscam for a few years, but the software is weak.  I think maybe Foscam evolved into Amcrest.

I've been considering adding a couple of Amcrest cameras for my front and back porches.  Any particular model you'd recommend strictly for surveillance?

Thanks.

Sorry, I know nothing about the Amcrest software.  I use a product called Security Spy; it's not cheap, but very powerful, with great support and upgrades.  It works with just about any camera.  I had a number of Foscams, but a couple failed.  In doing research, I found that Amcrest is somehow affiliated with Foscam (they won't answer how), but have better products.  I spent hours looking at the camera specs, and I've worked in the video business.  I recently exited as a founder of a high end video management product, working with $4k cameras.  Everything about Amcrest looked great for $70-130.

Here's what I got for outdoors, and the results are excellent, day and night:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CHPZKQM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And what I got for a huge room where I wanted lots of pixels and super wide angle:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Y52782/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Carlos 

SecuritySpy looks very good, but I am bound to the Windows or Synology options.  Any thoughts?   Thanks for the Amcrest recommendation.  Putting a system together, and had been looking at Axis cameras.  I want good video quality, but their prices are a little hard to swallow for a home system

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

I primarily worked with Axis when I ran the video software company.  Those are the $4k cameras I mentioned.  I have some of them here for demo usage.  They simply aren't worth it in a home environment.

If you have a Synology NAS, you should probably try using their built-in video recorder.  I played with it once, thought it was good, but it's been a couple years.  I really don't have other recommendations.  You could also consider the Amcrest/Foscam cloud service to control and manage the cameras, get notifications, and things like that.  I have one Amcrest camera connected to that now, and it seems to work fine.  Nothing to manage on your end.

On 7/7/2019 at 8:07 AM, chirakawa said:

I think you mean you don't want to use up your internet bandwidth.  You can have cameras connected wirelessly to a router totally independent of your internet service.  Wifi is simply the wireless distribution of your local network, doesn't have to have anything to do with the internet for which you are paying some provider.

There are lot's of IP cameras on the market which will connect to a router.  Your computer simply has to be connected to the same router in order to view those cameras without involving the internet.  In fact, you could have two routers, one for the internet and one for the cameras.  With a second wifi adapter on your computer, you  could connect to both of those routers at the same time.

Here's the problem.  If you're "off the grid", all of this wifi equipment needs power.  I know Amazon has their own brand of wireless security cameras call Blink.  I have no experience with them and don't know if they produce a quality enough picture to study wildlife or not.  At least some of those Blink cameras run off of a battery which they claim lasts a couple of years.  Here is an example Blink outdoor cameras

I'm not recommending those Blink cameras as I have no experience with them.  Also, they may be the type which has to go through their own website before you can view them.  You'll need to study them before buying.  They do offer a method of recording, but it will use your internet connection, which you didn't want.

Alot of great responses and thank you for that.   I have a spare laptop that I would like to view the cams on and save the recordings somehow on the laptop but still be able to watch live.  I do have a spare router that I can connect that laptop and the cam to.  The ring looks interesting.  I was hoping to get something small and Im also concerned about wiring.  The Amcres and the Wyze Cams definitely look interesting.  I do have a 4 cam Samsung wired set of cams with a big dvr.  They are amazing cams.  But the cams are too big and Im concerned about running the wires outside.

Edited by gr8white