Army Now Offering Recruits up to $40,000 to Join the Infantry

Ray,IN

1 hour ago, pjstough said:

So if we are going to honor people for doing risky jobs, shouldnt we be honoring loggers, commercial fishermen, and farm laborers?  Those jobs are riskier than policemen or firemen.

No one should be honored.  This world needs to fall into anarchy and chaos.  Bring Orwell to life!!  Then maybe we would see how much we need each profession.  Or maybe not.  Tree huggers will save the day.

47 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

No one should be honored.  This world needs to fall into anarchy and chaos.  Bring Orwell to life!!  Then maybe we would see how much we need each profession.  Or maybe not.  Tree huggers will save the day.

Where did that comment come from?  I was going to say it came from left field, but I dont think that would be accurate.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

7 hours ago, pjstough said:

Where did that comment come from?  I was going to say it came from left field, but I dont think that would be accurate.

It is an extension of your comment about honoring lumber jacks, farm workers and fishermen.  Naturally you don't see it that way.  

32 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

It is an extension of your comment about honoring lumber jacks, farm workers and fishermen.  Naturally you don't see it that way.  

What these professions have in common with the police and firemen that Kirk mentioned, is that they are all risky professions.  The ones I mentioned are considered to be more risky than the ones Kirk mentioned. Neither of us mentioned anarchy, chaos, Orwell, or tree huggers.

20 minutes ago, pjstough said:

What these professions have in common with the police and firemen that Kirk mentioned, is that they are all risky professions.  The ones I mentioned are considered to be more risky than the ones Kirk mentioned. Neither of us mentioned anarchy, chaos, Orwell, or tree huggers.

What those professions do NOT have in common with LEO and FD is they do NOT go to work in the service of others...unless you think farmers and fishermen view their jobs as making sure people have food and a logger thinks of himself as putting a roof over someone's head.  In all the episodes of "Deadliest Catch" that I have seen, I don't recall any of the crew members talking about feeding people, other than their own families.  Cops and FD KNOW they are going to work for the public and (hopefully) keep John Q. Public safe.  

In the service of others...that is the difference. 

2 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

What those professions do NOT have in common with LEO and FD is they do NOT go to work in the service of others...unless you think farmers and fishermen view their jobs as making sure people have food and a logger thinks of himself as putting a roof over someone's head.  In all the episodes of "Deadliest Catch" that I have seen, I don't recall any of the crew members talking about feeding people, other than their own families.  Cops and FD KNOW they are going to work for the public and (hopefully) keep John Q. Public safe.  

In the service of others...that is the difference. 

I totally agree, however, if, as was said earlier, that if they are joining the military, or becoming a fireman or a policeman for the money,  and serving others is secondary, should they get the recognition they get?

Boys give this S@%T a rest.  All this guy is doing is trolling.  I am sure if someone came into his post office and went postal on his ass it would not have been a farm worker that he would have been looking to save him.  Just let it go

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

6 minutes ago, DJW said:

Boys give this S@%T a rest.  All this guy is doing is trolling.  I am sure if someone came into his post office and went postal on his ass it would not have been a farm worker that he would have been looking to save him.  Just let it go

Dennis

Now that is some crazy S@%T right there! I do agree, though, there is not much left to say in this conversation.

1 hour ago, DJW said:

Dennis

Yeah, you're right.  I forgot.  All that guy does is troll.  Guess the mail shorts got too tight and cut off oxygen to his brain.

46 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Yeah, you're right.  I forgot.  All that guy does is troll.  Guess the mail shorts got too tight and cut off oxygen to his brain.

On some forums that would be considered a personal attack and not allowed.  :) 

Wow! This thread sure went off topic! 

Back to the original topic! $40,000 Bonus to join! Heck; I was drafted and joined in Dec 1970 as I wanted to be a vehicle mechanic! Received $78.00 a month; at the end of enlistment as an e-4 over 28  months; received $354.00 a month and was offered $1,600.00 bonus for another 36 months re-enlistment. March 28; 1974 I returned home; fortunately as may didn't!

I hope this puts the Topic back in perspective!.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!