TSLBH head pin key?

lockmup68

Shannon,  Glad you enjoyed your visit to SE Kansas. You sure got a lot done. One note on the ET handle. We do have longer handles coming....they should be "retro-fit-able". But I find if you take a small tube (like a chain link fence top) and crush the end that it works perfectly as a handle extension. For others that need hitch work done, we normally do that here at our shop - Shannon was just fortunate that Young's took on the job. If you need upgrades or refurbishment we are happy to help if we can. Or just come to visit :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

9 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

That's one sexy hitch upgrade. What's the price for a swap out head?

That was custom work....there is no normal "head swap" of an ET "super binkley" to the Trailersaver "Binkley". It is going to be custom and depend on the particulars of your hitch. 

If you have an ET and want it refurbished and maybe the upward dampeners put on it then that is another story. It would depend on the "vintage" of your hitch. 

Edited by Jack Mayer

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

We've got a Trailer Saver, with a 2 year old head on an old base. I had been half-heartedly trying to convince Henry to develop a hybrid Super Binkley /TSLB head. Since we replaced the Binkley with another one, we're probably not going to need to replace it again, but if the price was right, I could always find a buyer for our repaired head.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Glad it all worked out for ya.  I tried using a 1/2" breaker bar for the handle but I don't have the clearance under the front cap of the 5th wheel to make it work.  I ended up using my same old tried and true old steel tube handle that has a crushed end on it.  Slides right over the hitch handle.

When Henry made mine, it was an exchange of my old Binkley head and the Trailersaver rocker box. 

I paid $800.... High Low... Just right I don't know, but it works.... 

Edited by Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jack "convinced me" that on many rigs particularly with Moride pinbox hitching and unhitching is a PITA with the short handle, so I redesigned it. I noticed that the last couple hitches produced by Youngs had the longer handle. I bet Young's laser cut bunch of these, they don't make thing like that in onsies and twosies. I'm sure Jack can accommodate this crowd's needs for a longer handles.

1 hour ago, lockmup68 said:

They mentioned they had sold 16 ETs since Jan already. I think Jack and team at RVHL installed all of them.

One was installed on a Volvo VNR in Crossville by Riverbend Service LLC. It went for the first trip Sunday and did a great job with the trailer. You're right the handle is too short.

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I got a piece of unistrut and formed it for my hitch handle. Works great.

Me too. Welded a washer on the release pin handle too and made a tool for it also.
i-sHLtPCH-S.jpg

i-C7z35Pz-S.jpg

i-CSVTcjd-S.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if the video will show here. But I need a new head/hitch myself. While I don't really want to spend the money right now I think i'll take this opportunity to upgrade to a suspension hitch.

Edited by Imurphy907

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Update, after hauling rest of way from Kansas to Utah, discovered, I can only unhitch if I lift the trailer up enough to get the handle to slide forward enough to release the jaws. 

I will need to bend the handle up a couple of inches to clear the side rail of the hitch with weight on the hitch. And it needs to be a few inches longer as mentioned above. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

1 hour ago, lockmup68 said:

Update, after hauling rest of way from Kansas to Utah, discovered, I can only unhitch if I lift the trailer up enough to get the handle to slide forward enough to release the jaws. 

I will need to bend the handle up a couple of inches to clear the side rail of the hitch with weight on the hitch. And it needs to be a few inches longer as mentioned above. 

I will get you a picture of the handle that we use with our ET hitch head and you might be able to use something like it. It allows me to use a 1/2" breaker bar if I need additional leverage.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

With that unistrut bar I copied from Phil's pic will pop it loose with a bind on it. My chocks were not tight and I found that out. Cheap to build

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I think the unistrut will work. Just have to “s” bend it up so it will clear the side rail on the trailer saver hitch when loaded, right now, the bar will go forward, but. It enough to unlock jaws. I jack the trailer up about two inches and the bar will then go forward another inch needed to unlock. The trailer saver has a downward slope on the frame of the hitch. 

On 7/10/2019 at 4:28 PM, Jack Mayer said:

If you have an ET and want it refurbished and maybe the upward dampeners put on it then that is another story. It would depend on the "vintage" of your hitch. 

I'll get you to look at mine at the rally??????? :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Here is a picture of our extension handle which I can also use a breaker bar on

z76PPyYl.jpg

In this picture the hitch is all the way down on air and the handle just clears our bed

QX4JkVXl.jpg

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

1 hour ago, Star Dreamer said:

Here is a picture of our extension handle which I can also use a breaker bar on

z76PPyYl.jpg

In this picture the hitch is all the way down on air and the handle just clears our bed

QX4JkVXl.jpg

The square hole on the short handle is what is hitting the side rail on the trailer saver hitch. I have to bend it up a bit or shorten it about an inch and then it would not hit the side rail. Truck is at the shop getting a wheel seal and airbags right now. When I pick it up I’ll take a pic. That handle would totally work if it would just clear the rail another inch when loaded. 

31 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

The square hole on the short handle is what is hitting the side rail on the trailer saver hitch. I have to bend it up a bit or shorten it about an inch and then it would not hit the side rail. Truck is at the shop getting a wheel seal and airbags right now. When I pick it up I’ll take a pic. That handle would totally work if it would just clear the rail another inch when loaded. 

I just relooked at your pictures and your handle that is on the hitch head is longer than ours as it stickers out the side beyond the hitch head, ours must be one of the shorter versions. Maybe Henry or Young's have some of the short ones still available and you can swap it out and then use a extension handle like ours.

Dave

We will be offering an extension handle shortly...eg. a longer version of what is there. They are already going on the new hitches. We will work on an "arm" to make disconnecting easier.

www.jackdanmayer.com