Vehicle shopping: Large SUV with removable rear seats?

Randy0781

Hi, everyone. I'm in the market for an older used full-size SUV (think Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Excursion class) that will work for both my everyday driving needs and for solo boondocking in remote public lands. My main question: Is there a model that has 2nd and 3rd row seats designed to be easily removed?

I know most SUVs have seats that fold flat, but that's not good enough. I always ride alone and these seats will never be used; they're just dead weight and taking up valuable cargo space. I want to pull the 2nd and 3rd row seats completely (hopefully, without major surgery involving sawing or torch cutting) and have a relatively flat floor left behind where I can put a single-wide mattress on one side and a locking cabinet for my gear on the other side.

I'm aware that there are vans which work this way, but I've rejected the idea of van ownership. Few vans, if any, are going to have the 4WD and ground clearance I need on the remote backcountry "roads" I explore, which are deeply rutted and high centered. Subarus can get around out there, but they're far too small inside.

Please keep in mind that I'm shopping for an older used vehicle…under $15K. Any year will do, but I'd prefer something modern enough to have anti-lock brakes, air bags, and an easy availability of repair parts.

So, is there a large SUV that has fully removable 2nd and 3rd row seats? If nothing has seats that are designed to be easily removed, then I guess I'll have get the vehicle I like best and cut the seats out the hard way.

Thanks for your help!

Randy

Seats are bolted in, so some tools and you can remove them with a little work.

Assuming you will be sleeping in the back and maybe cooking inside I would recommend a Chevy/GM Suburban/Yukon XL.  The area behind the front seat is about 6.5' to 7' long.  No head room though.  

Or if you are handy with tools a F250 Ford or 2500 Chevy/GM pickup truck and build a camper on the back. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 7/10/2019 at 4:58 PM, Al F said:

Seats are bolted in, so some tools and you can remove them with a little work.

Assuming you will be sleeping in the back and maybe cooking inside I would recommend a Chevy/GM Suburban/Yukon XL.  The area behind the front seat is about 6.5' to 7' long.  No head room though.  

Or if you are handy with tools a F250 Ford or 2500 Chevy/GM pickup truck and build a camper on the back. 

Thanks for the reply, Al!

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, lg61820 said:

In my 2011 Tahoe LT the third row seats come out completely.  The second row folds flat or tumbles forward to provide more storage, but it is not designed for seat removal like the third row. 

Thanks! Sounds like an option. I still need to get out locally and take a look inside some of these vehicles.

2 hours ago, MidMOTraveler said:

They can all be removed! Had 2 Ford Expeditions 5.7 v8 those things were beasts, could go anywhere. Sold the 2000 with 250k on it and never had a wrench on it except normal maintenance. 

Buddy bought an Excursion with the V10 and couldn’t afford to drive it. 

Good to know. Thanks! I've heard stories about that V10 mpg. Expedition might work well for me. Glad to hear they're reliable.

Hi Randy - have a look around u tubes for “overlander” and “expedition” conversions of Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, Nissan Patrol, 4Runner, Yukon, Suburban, Expedition, etc.

Lots of great  ideas. 

(When we camped with our diesel 60 series Land Cruiser we just called it “camping” )

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

7 hours ago, noteven said:

Hi Randy - have a look around u tubes for “overlander” and “expedition” conversions of Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, Nissan Patrol, 4Runner, Yukon, Suburban, Expedition, etc.

Lots of great  ideas. 

(When we camped with our diesel 60 series Land Cruiser we just called it “camping” )

Cool. Thanks!