Why trucks are better than motorhomes

Darryl&Rita

Is how I could post this, but I won't. Recent guests had rear suspension issues on their motorhome. The drivers side trailing arm failed, letting the axle move around where it felt like being. This damaged the other side trailing arm, the suspension mounts, air bag mounts, and likely the universal joints, too. Trailing arms were sourced from 2 different US locations, suspension parts from others, air bags from another. It took almost a month to get everything gathered, with their insurance/road side assistance company taking decent care of them. I couldn't help but think that any truck suspension parts would have to be easier to source, even if using wrecking yard parts.

Kenworth to the rescue!

uxc2Ikyl.jpg

The owner and the towtruck swamper, using radios with the tow truck driver, steering around obstructions.

2kf1xkbl.jpg

Landoll waiting for the load.

5EgKKjdl.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Damn Darryl, I’m becoming Phil 2 saying you’re right.  At least with a truck and trailer you have a place to stay and usually transportation (smart or other) while repairs are made.  Can you imagine a month in a hotel? $$$.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

28 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Damn Darryl, I’m becoming Phil 2 saying you’re right.  At least with a truck and trailer you have a place to stay and usually transportation (smart or other) while repairs are made.  Can you imagine a month in a hotel? $$$.

Carl, With our DRV. we have stayed more than 2 months in hotels for repair work....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

18 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Carl, With our DRV. we have stayed more than 2 months in hotels for repair work....

Yeah, but Jim, a drop in the bucket for a top 1%er like you, lol 😂 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

That's why I have to date fixed everything myself. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

This KW guy looked over (actually under) my friend’s new pride and joy used Class A (since sold) - never saw so many odd ball bits and pieces arranged in the form of air brakes, suspensions, steering...

It looked like lots of stuff was made of unobtainium.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

It wasn't what I expected to see, under there. I'm used to forged trailing arms, with bag mounts built in. This had stamped/welded arms, with a lot of afterthought pieces added last minute. I didn't measure, but the bag mounts seemed to be different distances from the front mount on each side. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

I agree, our trucks parts that day or the next. And most laying on the shelf's of almost every truck parts place.

Uncle of mine years ago, New Class A. He was lucky had made it to our place. Rearend went out after only 2300 miles. Took 39 days to get the unit back up and running. But We fished 30 of those days.😀 As that was one reason he made the trip.

But 99% of the time, that never happens. Its always in the middle of nowhere. Next to nothing ville.

event.png

I wonder how much the front axle(tires too) was overloaded, towing that MH by lifting the rear?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I wonder how much the front axle(tires too) was overloaded, towing that MH by lifting the rear?

Do you really think there was that much weight shift? The tow truck is carrying most of the rear axles weight. And judging from the pictures it's not like he towed it far enough to matter.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

My memory's not too good, it's been 5 ears since we've been there, but I believe they're loading the mh onto the roll back in the cg.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

7 hours ago, rickeieio said:

My memory's not too good, it's been 5 ears since we've been there, but I believe they're loading the mh onto the roll back in the cg.

Good enough memory, Rick. They were in the same site you guys were in, pulled backwards up the hill, out the entrance road, and into the College parking lot. I think they could have got the Landoll closer, they still needed the wrecker to lift the rear to take the weight off the compromised suspension. Total distance was less than 1/2 mile. I was more impressed that the hitch took the weight of the motorhome rear. With the rear overhang of the motorhome, lifting by the axle was problematic, never mind the rear axle flopping about. 

Please e-mail us here.

17 hours ago, Big5er said:

Do you really think there was that much weight shift? The tow truck is carrying most of the rear axles weight. And judging from the pictures it's not like he towed it far enough to matter.

I was wondering out loud because of the statements from MH weigh experts that say if you are using a platform scale, and weighing one front or rear wheel, to keep both sides level to obtain an accurate weigh for the wheel on the scale.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I was wondering out loud because of the statements from MH weigh experts that say if you are using a platform scale, and weighing one front or rear wheel, to keep both sides level to obtain an accurate weigh for the wheel on the scale.

There is certainly some weight shift, no doubt about it. But enough to overload to front axle? I wouldn't think so but anything is possible....and of course assuming they arent loaded to their max to begin with.

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

Can’t speak for MH’s but truck steer axles after the ABS era have a working load rating plus a braking load factor to withstand the weight transfer during hard braking. If I remember it is around 1.5x. So a 13,200 lbs axle is designed to carry 18,000 lbs under maximum braking on a modern ABS truck.

Axles also have a creep load rating for low speed. A 46K tandem heavy wall axle set has a creep rating of 65 or 68000 to work in dump body, roll off, wrecker, bed truck or winch tractor where there can be low speed high load situations. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

9 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Keep in mind the max load for an axle is taking in account hitting potholes and bumps at speed also tires heating up over time on the road. During a hard turn one tire probably goes way over the load limit set for a stationary vehicle.

Also keep in mind that the pictures (and the story later confirmed by the OP) plainly show the MH towed out of a campground to a waiting flatbed trailer. How much heat build up and how many potholes do you think were involved in this trip? 

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

22 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Also keep in mind that the pictures (and the story later confirmed by the OP) plainly show the MH towed out of a campground to a waiting flatbed trailer. How much heat build up and how many potholes do you think were involved in this trip? 

Remember, it's those crazy Canucks.  Might be beer involved.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I don't own a TV or watch cable shows, I am however aware of a particular group from the great white north.     Why do I automatically envision that our Kanadian members resemble Trailer Park Boys?       🤣

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

3 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I don't own a TV or watch cable shows, I am however aware of a particular group from the great white north.     Why do I automatically envision that our Kanadian members resemble Trailer Park Boys?       🤣

Those who have met me will testify I look nothing like:

LD4Nsl2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Please e-mail us here.

8 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Those who have met me will testify I look nothing like:

LD4Nsl2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And I'll add, Darryl is slacking in the beer drinking efforts of our brother red-necks.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

15 hours ago, Big5er said:

Thats what I ment, on the farm we used old car tires on two wheel hay wagons. Gramps would pump them up untill his nerves failed and then us kids would load it, the old 8 N didn't have a Sherman gear so it probably didn't go 15 mph. I remember a few flats but never a blowout.