rm.w/aview

Ketogenic Food Choice

So I found an interesting thread on the Ketogenic Lifestyle at https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=36748 but haven't found anything on this forum. Anyone have recipes, favorite food ideas, or the results of following the Ketogenic Lifestyle, or the Keto Diet while living the RV life? 

Edited by rm.w/aview

There is a Recipe section here and while I do not see any keto recipes I might understand why. I did a Google search on "ketogenic recipes" and it pulled up 141,000,000 results. With all that, why post anything here?

26 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

There is a Recipe section here and while I do not see any keto recipes I might understand why. I did a Google search on "ketogenic recipes" and it pulled up 141,000,000 results. With all that, why post anything here?

11 minutes ago, SWharton said:

x2. Plenty of info on the web

For the same reason we post here on this forum. Dialog is the nature of a forum is it not? 

Go to a Super Target and buy a bunch of Primal Kitchen dressings plus canned chicken, tuna, salmon, and shrimp all packed in either water or olive oil. If packed in water drain it. Stir in some dressing. No refrigeration and no cooking required.Tasty and keto.

That also makes a good topping for a green salad if you want to go that way. If so, add more dressing.

Linda Sand

Edited by sandsys
added salad thought

56 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

That diet is very similar to Atkins.  Check out recipes for Atkins.

Keto is a very specific very low carb with very high fat way of eating. It really does not compare to anything else. Its goal is to train your body to burn fat instead of carbs.

One of its rules is to eat real food. So, I do not try to make regular food out of keto food. Yes, you can make "bread" out of almond flour. Would you otherwise eat that many almonds?

However a tablespoon of sunbutter makes a delicious snack that also does not require refrigeration.

Linda

29 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

If the OP is looking for recipes there are tons of them out there for Atkins which is similar.  You may have to adjust some things.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/ketogenic-diet/diet/ketogenic-diet-vs-atkins-diet-how-they-differ/

Since Chalkie found 141,000,000 results by searching ketogenic recipes why would anyone want to adapt from another source?

Linda

So campfire roasted smokies rolled in corn tortillas toasted to roll up perfection with ice cold beer isn’t a cryrogenic recipe then, right?

3 hours ago, noteven said:

So campfire roasted smokies rolled in corn tortillas toasted to roll up perfection with ice cold beer isn’t a cryrogenic recipe then, right?

I don't know about cryrogenic by it's certainly not ketogenic.

Linda

BTW, it's called a beer belly for a reason. :)

Edited by sandsys

There was time when I was interesting in Ketogenic Food. And for several months I cooked this food. And I found good forum with not bad recipes (this forum) Some of them was really tasty and even liked my husband!

Did Keto for 2 years. It ISN'T the same as Atkins. There are, as stated, a billion websites that deal with Keto, and if you're going to do it you'll want to be really informed about what it does and does not do for your body. It absolutely is NOT for everyone. If you have certain autoimmune diseases, such as Hashimotos (thyroid), it's going to aggravate your symptoms rather than improve them. So make sure you don't just look for recipes. Also look very carefully at WHAT Keto is, HOW it works, and WHO should and should not try it.

7 minutes ago, Bigthinkers said:

Did Keto for 2 years. It ISN'T the same as Atkins. There are, as stated, a billion websites that deal with Keto, and if you're going to do it you'll want to be really informed about what it does and does not do for your body. It absolutely is NOT for everyone. If you have certain autoimmune diseases, such as Hashimotos (thyroid), it's going to aggravate your symptoms rather than improve them. So make sure you don't just look for recipes. Also look very carefully at WHAT Keto is, HOW it works, and WHO should and should not try it.

Excellent advice. Diets seem to sometimes have a fad following and that should not be the case. Rather it should be for genuine health concerns with people knowing full well what it is and isn't and for that matter it doesn't hurt to consult your physician before starting any extreme (and yes, keto is extreme) diet. 

11 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

(and yes, keto is extreme) diet.

I agree. It has a profound affect on your body, either for good or for bad. It's difficult to do it right, too, though with dedication you can certainly figure it all out and make it work for your body (unless you have health issues that are made worse by it), and it becomes second nature. On the surface, it's easier than, say, Weight Watchers (simply eat a lot more healthy fats, next to no carbs, and you're golden), but to really do it right you've got to know what you're doing. If you don't, your body may very well pay the price (stomach cramps and heart palpitations, I'm looking at you). You really need to know if it's safe for YOU, or if something less drastic, like Paleo, is the better choice.

Ketosis is a natural state, but it's not a state everyone should be in.

I don't think the specific diets are going to find a lot of conversation here since most people seem to eat the standard American diet here.  But how to adapt your food needs to travel is a good conversation.

I follow a diet with nearly zero processed foods, no oil, no salt, and almost no animal products.  It's not a huge challenge at home, but in a small travel trailer it's hard to make a pot of beans, or a stew, or many of the things I normally make.  I make things in advance of traveling and portion them out into disposable restaurant take-out containers.  I buy a huge box of the containers and they cost less than ten cents each.  Canned goods are also my friend, so if nothing else I can pull out a can of beans, add hot sauce, and it's food.  Avocados are another love, and easy to travel with and eat.  Turns out they come packaged inside their own bowl!  

Eating this way has eliminated my knee and shoulder joint pain, to the extent that I went from having to get a pre-surgery MRI to almost never having any pain at all.  Salt, oil, and animal flesh have huge effects on inflammation and joint health.

On 7/8/2019 at 12:51 PM, Carlos said:

I follow a diet with nearly zero processed foods, no oil, no salt, and almost no animal products.

Canned goods are also my friend, so if nothing else I can pull out a can of beans, add hot sauce, and it's food.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this considering the amount of salt (sodium) in canned goods. Even those labeled as "low sodium" still have a substantial amount of sodium of you eat much of them.

That's why I buy the NO salt added canned goods.  Kroger, Sprout's, Hunts, and others make them.  There are a few no-salt broth/stock options too, in stores and on Amazon.

kPw2JXy.jpg