advantages mh or pvt truck

txmilam

LGT was coined by Kevin, aka "Flapper', now departed.  He was towing with a srw ford at the time, and made up the term for his truck.  If you were there when the term was first used, it's pretty funny.

BTW, Kevin eventually upgraded to a hdt.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

LGT was coined by Kevin, aka "Flapper', now departed.  He was towing with a srw ford at the time, and made up the term for his truck.  If you were there when the term was first used, it's pretty funny.

BTW, Kevin eventually upgraded to a hdt.

Everyone should have met Flapper.  He made this world a better place. RIP brother.  Now back to regular programming.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On 7/4/2019 at 5:37 PM, txmilam said:

ok here,s where im at truck has frig, microwave,shorepower ,110 v heater. printed pages from tx title and reg, manual and fed reg 49 xxx. i have a 130 u vtr 61 form, pics of mods and outside of truck cat scale ticket, insurance. removed commercial 5th wheel replaced with rv 5th wheel anything else ? just want to get it done the 1st time lady at tax office has never done this before thanks for any help.has a current dot inspection 

Sounds good.

The title manual say use a vtr-61 and convert the unit, which may mean it will end up with a salvage title.

the new title manual also talks about covering the frame (bed) which is not in the state statutes.

GThe email i got from Austin did not follow that.  This is where it was strange  

the email i got said submit photos of the four systems, a weight certificate and a 130-U.

i would paste it in, but my ipad, laptop and phone have all ganged up on me and conspired to stop me.- got it finally  

i took that email in, and the ladies were so mad at me they just followed the email from Austin instead of the title manual.

i believe truck registration is much more expensive  than mh.O3iC1nul.jpg

Edited by Exile
Double photo

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

2 minutes ago, Exile said:

Sounds good.

The title manual say use a vtr-61 and convert the unit, which may mean it will end up with a salvage title.

the new title manual also talks about covering the frame (bed) which is not in the state statutes.

GThe email i got from Austin did not follow that.  This is where it was strange  

the email i got said submit photos of the four systems, a weight certificate and a 130-U.

i would paste it in, but my ipad, laptop and phone have all ganged up on me and conspired to stop me.- got it finally  

i took that email in, and the ladies were so mad at me they just followed the email from Austin instead of the title manual.

i believe truck registration is much more expensive  than mh.O3iC1nul.jpg

Pe6W54cl.jpg

Edited by Exile
Operator error

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:25 PM, Big5er said:

You obviously have a reading comprehension issue. Try reading the exact text you quoted in your previous post. We are talking about DRIVERS LICENSES!!!!! It is in plain english. If you call anyone and say "I have a recreational vehicle, do I need a cdl", they will tell you no. That is EXACTLY what I said. Like Rocky said, we are talking we were talking about HDT's not little girlie trucks...BUT your LGT and a 10,000+lb trailer does fit the definition of a CMV according to TEXAS CDL law. (you quoted it earlier, I assume you read it). But our HDT's still meet that definition without a trailer. That is why WE (those of us with HDT's) have an issue with DL/CDL when registered as a truck. But again, we are talking HDT's not LGT's. Now, AS I SAID BEFORE, towing a recreational vehicle you are exempt from CDL. How hard is that to understand..CDL, RV, EXEMPT got it?? I'm not sure what your argument is. But you just keep on getting your legal advice from clerks and managers and you'll be fine.
Safe travels :)

As I read the OP, the question was regarding titling, possibly registration of the vehicle, and you went off on a tangent about CMVs and driver's licenses. I simply disputed what you said regarding what the state really considers a COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE. Just because it is a big truck does not mean it is a CMV.

Where did you read that I am referring to a "LGT" (dumb)? I have a Volvo 780 as well, about to be an 880. We can compare sizes all day. And regardless of who enforces laws or writes citations, if the vehicle is not used in a commercial manner it does not require a CDL, only possibly a Class A or B Non-CDL license. And yes, my HDT is registered as a truck, not a motorhome and I pull several large trailers in addition to a 5th wheel RV, but none for profit or commercial purposes. But since you didn't understand the reference to the vehicle registration class as "TRK>1t", it doesn't surprise me that there are other concepts regarding the vehicle laws you don't get either, although I already assumed that was since you stated you were in law enforcement. Maybe check your own reading comprehension.

See you down the road.

3 hours ago, jcoffey620 said:

And regardless of who enforces laws or writes citations, if the vehicle is not used in a commercial manner it does not require a CDL, only possibly a Class A or B Non-CDL license.

Ok, I'm gonna type this real slow so you can keep up. 
Section 522.003 defines a "Commercial Motor Vehicle as:
"Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used to transport passengers or property that:

(A) has a gross combination weight or a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, including a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight or a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds;

(B) has a gross vehicle weight or a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds;

(C) is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or

(D) is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded under 49 C.F.R. Part 172, Subpart F.

Do you see ANY mention of "used in a commercial manner" in that definition?? That definition is your HDT. Period. You only need a modicum of intelligence to comprehend that. And that is the LEGAL definition. Not what you think it should be or what you want it to be.

Now we skip to Section 522.011 where it says:

A person may not drive a commercial motor vehicle unless:

(1) the person:

(A) has in the person's immediate possession a commercial driver's license issued by the department appropriate for the class of vehicle being driven; and

(B) is not disqualified or subject to an out-of-service order;

That would be you, driving your HDT. 

Are ya with me so far??

Now we backtrack to Section 522.004 that says

This chapter does not apply to:

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4) a recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use;

That same section also says:

In this section, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational camping or travel use. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, and motor home.

Now, why do you suppose they exempt a "recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use" from the requirements of CDL if it doesn't fit the definition of a "Commercial Motor Vehicle"? Kinda plain and simple, isn't it? Well, simple for most folks I suppose. They exempted recreational vehicles because some (our HDT's for example) DO FIT THE DEFINITION of commercial motor vehicle and without the exemption they would REQUIRE a CDL. Comprehend it now?? It doesn't really require a college degree does it?  

That is why my "Tangent" (there was no "tangent" until.....and now I refer you to my signature line) about the advantages of registering your HDT as a "motorhome" rather than a "truck". A "motorhome" is listed in the LAW as a recreational vehicle. Your "truck" is not. Now here is where it gets tricky, so pay attention. Once you unhitch your HDT from your travel trailer and drive it down the road, guess what? It is no longer a "recreational vehicle" because its primary design is not living quarters because you registered it as a TRUCK. Go back up to the definition of CMV and you will notice that your HDT alone still fits the definition of a Commercial Motor Vehicle. Since it is a "truck" it no longer gets the exemption that a recreational vehicle gets so guess what again?
Now, copy this entire post and take that to the clerk you get legal advice from and show it to them. I hope I didn't type too fast for you. And now, to avoid having the moderators get mad at me, I will simply 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

4 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

My finely tuned sense of awareness tells me that we have a disagreement brewing.

Coffee + keyboard = bad...........🤣

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Coffee + keyboard = bad...........🤣

I gave up Dr. Pepper, Rick.....withdrawals :)

2014 smart Fortwo

9 minutes ago, RickW said:

Did hell freeze over?

No, but the doctor threatened to send me there if I didn't lower the blood sugar :( 

Dr. Pepper and Blue Bell had to go. I'm jonesing for chocolate right now too. 

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

Howdy Phil,

Did I read this correctly, YOU gave up dr.pepper, please don't tell me you have substituted royal crown. :wacko:

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Well, actually, I spit out coffee reading Chirakawa's response.  

And yes, now that the cat's out of the bag, when we had supper w/ Phil an January, he only had two (2) Dr. Peppers, and said he was cutting back.

But, it appears he still can remember the rule books........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

I was thinking Phil was being quite calm and retirement was doing him wonders.

Nigel

I'm loving retirement Nigel. I'm calmer, more active, less irritable...eh forget that. I can't lie to my friends. :D

5 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Phil,

Did I read this correctly, YOU gave up dr.pepper, please don't tell me you have substituted royal crown. :wacko:

Dave

Dave, when we get to the rally, we'll toss back a beverage or two.
I may have to forget the diet and mix up a Crown and DP ;) Will ya join me?

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

But, it appears he still can remember the rule books........

And I can fondly recall Dr. Pepper too, Rick :) Like the memory of an old girlfriend that you were forced to dump. She was really fun and you loved her dearly, but ultimately she was bad for you in the long run. You know, that one that just pops into your head every once in a while....:wub:❤️:wub: and then reality sets in again :( 

9 hours ago, chirakawa said:

My finely tuned sense of awareness tells me that we have a disagreement brewing.

Not really a disagreement. It's all there in writing, I didn't make it up...or consult a clerk for the information, for that matter. You know what they say: You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him thi...uh.. drink.

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him thi...uh.. drink.

Or.... "You can drive a man to drink, but you can't make him water."  😁

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I'm loving retirement Nigel. I'm calmer, more active, less irritable...eh forget that. I can't lie to my friends. :D

Dave, when we get to the rally, we'll toss back a beverage or two.
I may have to forget the diet and mix up a Crown and DP ;) Will ya join me?

And I can fondly recall Dr. Pepper too, Rick :) Like the memory of an old girlfriend that you were forced to dump. She was really fun and you loved her dearly, but ultimately she was bad for you in the long run. You know, that one that just pops into your head every once in a while....:wub:❤️:wub: and then reality sets in again :( 

Not really a disagreement. It's all there in writing, I didn't make it up...or consult a clerk for the information, for that matter. You know what they say: You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him thi...uh.. drink.

Howdy Phil,

No offense my friend but I'll pass on the drink your talking about, that's nearly as bad as washin your feet with your socks on or drinking a light beer.  Now if you want to crack a bottle of Jack Daniels, throw the cap away and howl at the moon I am your man.  Well at least I used ta be before I went n got old.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Phil,

No offense my friend but I'll pass on the drink your talking about, that's nearly as bad as washin your feet with your socks on or drinking a light beer.  Now if you want to crack a bottle of Jack Daniels, throw the cap away and howl at the moon I am your man.  Well at least I used ta be before I went n got old.

Dave

Careful there Dave,

You're besmirching Dolly Trolly's magic elixir.

As John Lee Hooker wrote (no relation I assume)I'll have one bourbon, one scotch, one beer.

Steve   

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Just now, Steve from SoCal said:

Careful there Dave,

You're besmirching Dolly Trolly's magic elixir.

As John Lee Hooker wrote (no relation I assume)I'll have one bourbon, one scotch, one beer.

Steve   

Howdy Steve,

Nope, John Lee is no relation to me, although rumor has it that I am somehow shirt tail related to General Hooker, of civil war and ladies of the night fame.  I could NEVER acquire a taste for scotch, can't stand most beers but I do like a fine Belgian Beer, some of the Brit Beers and a dark German Beer will get me going.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 7/5/2019 at 3:40 PM, Big5er said:

Throw away all those pages from CFR 49... They are not applicable to anything you want to do. They will only confuse the clerks at the tax office (something you do not want to do. they are already confused enough). Next year, after being registered as a MH you can simply get a standard "vehicle inspection" at any inspection station. That $40 inspection isn't what you will need ever again.

You do not need a bed or a deck.

Exile had a bunch of people that were incapable of reading, comprehending and/or making a decision on their own. Hopefully your county has more intelligent people than that. You never mentioned what county you are in, not that it really makes a difference. Walk in and tell them "I've got everything the books says I need, are you ready?". Show them what you have and hopefully they will be capable of reading their own material. It isa their book. They wrote the rules. How hard should it be? The fact that they have never done it before is a lame excuse.  If you have issues, PM Exile or me and we can supply you with the name of the people in Austin that got the mess straightened out with his county. They were slow as molasses but they got it done. Exile has a lot more patience than I would have. 

i covered rear frame with marine plywood added a pic to my folder just in case someone say mh chassis has to be covered it doesn't say enclosed

On 7/22/2019 at 7:28 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy Phil,

Dave

Dave,
We'll have to introduce Phil to those frozen Canadian shots that I bring to the WCR....you seemed to like those ones!  ;)  

2 hours ago, RickS said:

Dave,
We'll have to introduce Phil to those frozen Canadian shots that I bring to the WCR....you seemed to like those ones!  ;)  

Howdy Rick,

I must admit that your choice of beverage that was forced onto me, I was to intimidated to refuse, partaken of in sufficient quantity could most definitely cause one to become stupid and be conned into the consumption of that vile liquid known as doctor pepper.   Phil, I am sure would approve of your Canadian spirits as in most cases he appears to be a person of good taste, please note that I said in most cases.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg