W10, latest update stopped any sound output.

Ray,IN

This is sounding more and more like you really do have a failing hard drive.  The Reallocation Event Count means that 36 sectors have failed and have been replaced with spare sectors.  Here is a link with more info:

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-fix-reallocated-sector-count-warning/

Glad that you have been backing up your data.  While re-reading this thread I see the drive is 7 years old.  Three to five years is considered to be the usual life of a hard drive.  If you do decide to replace the drive, seriously consider an SSD.  They are much faster, more reliable, and while prices are still higher than a conventional drive, they have dropped considerably recently.

Safe Travels...

Edited by k4rs

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

My computer was purchased in 2002. That drive diagnostic showed the HDD has been running for 18,xxx hrs.

Thank you for the link that explains the sector process. I'll be ordering a new replacement Seagate  1Tb HDD, what happens after I install the new one, do I just start the computer, link to my WiFi and things happen automatically? Then I use my image created Saturday last to restore my data?

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You replied while I was editing :)    It is almost certainly time to retire that drive.

Safe Travels...

A new replacement Seagate is ordered. By online searching I think I have the process of getting an image of my old HD onto the new one, figured out. However I can always use guidance and advice.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

It really depends on how you made the backup.  I prefer to boot the computer from a USB stick (or CD/DVD) containing the backup program to both make and restore image backups.  There are a number of programs that make image backups.  The one I use is Acronis.

If you just copied the data files you will need a USB or DVD containing Windows to install on the new hard drive.  You can then install application software and restore data files.  Let us know how you made your backup and which program you used.  That way we can provide better advice.

Safe Travels...

Ray,

I am considering replacing my expensive systems because they are 5 years old. Ray, go new. 17years is getting 12 years of great service you shouldn't have gotten. With older systems they an nickel and dime you costing more money, and at our ages more time and stress, which will run out before our retirements in most cases. I'm the exception with all my systems but sometimes ya gotta throw in the towel and go new.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

When I ordered the new HDD from Amazon I made sure it could return it JIC I changed my mind and decided to buy a new computer or just use this laptop. The desktop is shut off, it's doing all manner of weird things when I attempt to do anything.

I now suspect its HDD has been failing for about a year, because that's how long it has been flashing sub-menu's and other stuff while I was typing. Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket. 🤣

I have both, a backup and a true  image on a Seagate 1TB external drive, the image was created using Macroin(sp?) software. I also created a recovery stick to install W10 on the new HDD-If that's what I finally decide. This laptop was purchased in 2014, so now I'm wondering how long it has to live.

I did buy the best I could get, with available information,when both were purchased, but as we know, the computer you buy today has already been superceded by engineers in the design dept.

The advantage of an image backup is that it grabs everything, the operating system, applications, and data.  This simplifies the restore.  The downside is that any corrupted files from that failing drive will be restored onto the new drive.  I know it is extra work, but I think a fresh install is the better way to go.

Edit: If that computer was really from 2002, that is XP era.  I really suspect it may be very under-powered for Win 10. 

Safe Travels...

Edited by k4rs

I goofed my the purchase date, DW informed me I bought the previous desktop in 2002, the present one was bought much later, it is an HP p6-2350 if you want to see the specs online.https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03531729

I bought a HDD transfer kit, will arrive Friday  about the same time as the new HDD.

I thought about W10 having corrupted stuff, I've made a USB to download W10 from that website  you linked, or could I simply do a clean install if the old copy is corrupted?

BTW, I'm no longer using the desktop JIC I need to use it for something like clone it, since that computer has room for 2 HDD's.

Are you guys tiring of my amateur  drivel yet? My 77 yr old brain doesn't work so good these days=outdated processor.

According to the HP link, your computer was released in 2012, the same year the hard drive was manufactured.  The specifications for it should be fine for Windows 10.  I still have a computer that I built in 2012 and it is still performing very well.

> I've made a USB to download W10 from that website  you linked, or could I simply do a clean install if the old copy is corrupted?

Yes, you sure can.  As I said before, it is more work but I believe it is the better way.  Just keep your old drive and the image backup in case you discover that you missed something important with your data backup.

No, I am not tired of the drivel :)   I have been doing computer support for decades both as a business and now for fun.  I really enjoy helping others fix their computer problems (although it is more fun in person).

Safe Travels... 

Ditto on Roger's feelings. If we can help we enjoy it. I agree that it is better to do a clean install over inheriting all the "kludge" from the old system. Again as long as you have a system image you can start over with you can make all the mistakes you like. Good luck.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks, that was the assumption I was going by. I could use the image to put the license key for W10 onto the new HDD, then do a clean install of W10.  Perhaps I'm wrong about that, and could use the USB I downloaded to install W10 onto another computer to install W10 onto the new HDD???

I've been busy this past weekend removing the HDD from old laptops. Both are way too old to be useful, both are XP and over 15 yrs old. I have that kit coming that I may use to view contents,  before drilling holes in them for destruction.

Just a suggestion but you might find checking out Steve Gibson's grc.com site for Spinrite.

I've save many a HDD and or over the past couple of decades with this. Be sure to check out the user emails thanking Steve. He is one of the older/long time guys like Bill Gates and others of that early era. I think he still does his work in machine language. 

Ron, Linda & Finn Dog
Sticks 'n' Bricks

There is no need to restore the image before doing a clean install.  Windows will create a hash based upon the hardware in your computer.  When it connects to the activation server it will see that this machine was previously activated.  For that reason installing the new hard drive in another computer will not activate with the image because the hardware is different.

Spinrite is a wonderful program, however it will not revive a dying hard drive.  It is designed to scan a hard drive and move data from bad sectors to good sectors and then map out the bad.  Spinrite will sometimes allow you to recover corrupted data from questionable sectors.  The problem is that the cost for Spinrite is more than the cost of a new hard drive.

Safe Travels...

Edited by k4rs

Thanks for the advice, a clean install it is. The new HDD did not arrive yet, guess I must wait more days. That external HDD kit I bought off Amazon,I'll be returning it.  I just found a new one, I/0 Magic brand, in my computer storage locker.

off-topic_ now Kohls accepts Amazon returns, DW saw it on TV Sunday.

Edited by Ray,IN

Everything arrived today!  Received a delay today too, friends are spending the weekend with us, their MH is hooked up 30A+water next to the house. Looks like Tuesday is a new target date to begin with the new HDD.

Better late than never, I began at 08:45 this morning! I finally made time to install the new Seagate Predator HDD. I had previouslly made a USB bootable from the W10 download page. Well, when I started the computer the USB installed W8. W10 upgrade/installation is not available from W8, only W8.1, so I went through accomplishing that and the hours of updates, then installed W10. I now have all my documents and files restored from backup, plus all my additional programs.

Thank you all for your patience and assistance with this computer illiterate. It's surprising how fast this new HDD is compared to the old one.

BTW, Seagate has diagnostic tools on their website for their products. I downloaded the one for my HDD, and when I ran it a caution popped up informing me of the SDT error, and if I proceeded  it could destroy the HDD beyond recovering data; I quit right then.  I'll keep the old HDD for a few days JIC, then I'll use that 8" sledge-hammer out in the garage.

I returned the transfer kit to Amazon-unneeded for this project, and it would not connect to my PATA/IDE 2.5" Hatachi HDD for a different project anyway.

I am glad that everything worked out for you.  Not sure why you started with Windows 8 though.  I suggest hanging onto the old drive longer than a few days.  Sometimes you don't realize something is missing right away.

Safe Travels...

Roger, that stumped me too. Why did the bootable USB I made off the windows 10 upgrade website revert my computer back to the original Windows install???? It took me all day to finally get W 10 installed W/updates(hoping I would avoid a mistake) An hour later it downloaded the cumulative update for July.

Anyway, it's in the past now; thanks again.

Addition: The way this upgraded from the USB I made off the website, it even notified me I have 10 days to revert to W 8.1 if I choose. Deja Vu ?

Edited by Ray,IN

• 2 weeks later...

I have encountered a couple gliches.  A few saved documents I created somehow became read-only, some documents seem to have lost their origination- I get a msg to look in the app store for a program to open the document..

Thanks to Roger, I still have my old HDD setup as an external HDD in an enclosure. Makes it easy to  modify documents I'm currently locked out of, then replace the document on the new HDD with a copy of what I did on the old HDD until I figure out how to correct those errors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 3:08 AM, TLRam1 said:

I installed Win 10 on a desktop and the desktop turns on by itself every night, has anyone else experience this and what did you do?

watch this video:

Then read this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power-winpc/windows-10-turns-on-by-itself/b40756b8-8e0a-4426-b18e-23dc0a2e06a0

This should answer you question, and tell you how best to resolve the issue.

Edited by Ray,IN

On 8/26/2019 at 12:49 PM, Ray,IN said:

watch this video:

Then read this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power-winpc/windows-10-turns-on-by-itself/b40756b8-8e0a-4426-b18e-23dc0a2e06a0

This should answer you question, and tell you how best to resolve the issue.

Ray this is a FANTASTIC video, that is the problem, we need something that will tells us what made the computer do this task, then you can tackle the problem.

Thank you Ray.

Terry