W10, latest update stopped any sound output.

Ray,IN

According to the Windows support site this is a known problem, and support says they are working on a solution. (I can't hold my breath that long)

I know the external speakers are working, when I start my desktop the speakers pop with the initial surge of electricity. I downloaded and installed Realtek 2X once from the HP website and once from the Realtek website(it was/is missing in device manager) but afterwards it does not appear in device manager under Sounds and video. I visited the HP website and double checked my bios as instructed, no luck there either. I finally did a refresh of W10,  which did not regain computer sounds. When I attempt to run  "update driver", the update downloads but then it says it cannot install the driver because the device has a problem.

When I run the no audio troubleshooter, it says it can't locate the problem, the details say 'no sound device found", and " Both windows audio and the Windows audio End Point Builder Services must be running for audio to work correctly, at least one of these services is not running:"

Is it time for me to find my sledge-hammer, or can this be solved?

A side note, my laptop also updated to the latest 1903 version and it plays sound normally.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray,

Do you have an added sound card or r u using the default sound system on/in the chipset?

None of my systems had sound issues

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My computer has/had the default sound system. I just attempted to install Realtek from device manager and got this on a blue screen:

"Windows encountered a problem, Windows is gathering information and will automatically restart when finished.

for more information go to windows.com/stopcode

System Thread Exception not handled

RTKUVHD64.sys"

I had to do a hard shutdown (on/off button) to get out of the blue screen.

I did a refresh windows 10 last night. Would it help to do the clean install of windows 10?

Nothing I have done will install Realtek audio driver to device manager. I downloaded Realtek and installed it, BUT it installed as an app.???

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks for that link Derek. I tried all of those solutions to no avail. Then I manually downloaded the latest Realtek drivers for W10 and installed it, again to no avail.  When I run a search of my computer for Realtek I get no results, and I know it said the install was successful.

Looks like it's time to open my wallet and take the box to a reputable computer repair shop in town. I'm tired of attempting to regain computer audio, time for an expert to take a shot at fixing the problem.

Well you gave it the old college try. Sometimes I have to be hands on the catch the screen flashing by in settings. I'd also download and run Speccy from Pirifirm/CCleaner.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Looks like it's time to open my wallet and take the box to a reputable computer repair shop in town. I'm tired of attempting to regain computer audio, time for an expert to take a shot at fixing the problem.

Before you give up, you may want to try an inexpensive USB speaker.  I have had good luck with Logitech S150 speakers.  They do not require extra drivers and have never failed to work for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S150-Speakers-Digital-Sound/dp/B000ZH98LU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=I35MWIHV66OO&keywords=usb+speakers+for+desktop+computer&qid=1562338114&s=gateway&sprefix=usb+spea%2Caps%2C370&sr=8-4

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

12 hours ago, k4rs said:

Before you give up, you may want to try an inexpensive USB speaker.  I have had good luck with Logitech S150 speakers.  They do not require extra drivers and have never failed to work for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S150-Speakers-Digital-Sound/dp/B000ZH98LU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=I35MWIHV66OO&keywords=usb+speakers+for+desktop+computer&qid=1562338114&s=gateway&sprefix=usb+spea%2Caps%2C370&sr=8-4

Safe Travels...

The problem is, the computer has no sound whatsoever, you know-like when you turn on caps lock, etc. My external Altec Lansing speakers make the pop sound when I turn on the computer so I know that circuitry is working.

It's time to give this headache to someone with a higher pay grade than I. I rather suspect a new clean install of W10 may not work, since the refresh did not solve the problem; it might be something in the OS bios. I would copy N paste the audio diagnostic registry results but it is 3 pages long.

What puzzles me is, the latest W10 update did not break the sound on my laptop???? The W10 help forums says it happens to just some computers. Aren't I lucky?

Edited by Ray,IN

It sounds to me like your sound card (or motherboard sound chip) got a bad driver update.  The USB speakers do not use your existing sound device.  It simply bypasses the non-functional hardware.

Safe Travels...

I use a Beheringer USB audio interface, essentially the same as a USB speaker without the amp and speaker.  It takes the place of the computer's internal soundcard and provides more audio definition as well as stereo audio recording capability (which is why I originally bought it).

It would be a good choice if you're happy with your existing speakers.

Edited by Lou Schneider

update: Going back to RV/Derek's question about whether my computer has a  sound card or one integrated, it is an integrated IDT92HD73E audio device, which I interpret to mean it is built-into the chipset. Today I ran HP diagnostics  audio tests, they both said the same as the W10 diagnostics "no audio output device found".

According to HP diagnostics, when I install an audio card it disables the built-in audio device.

Now, may I simply go buy an audio card and install it in my computer and fix the sound for both computer sounds and music playback through Altec Lansing speakers?

You could add another sound card if you want to continue using your existing speakers.  I still believe one of the USB sound devices mentioned previously would be a better choice.   They would be much easier to install and are natively supported by Windows.  Windows 10 has a long history of driver issues and the USB devices avoid this pitfall.

Safe Travels...

Issue solved!  I was reading the Windows forums and found a reply from Microsoft that said to download drivereasy.com and then either use the free version or pay to join and everything is automatic. I chose automatic, and with a discount code paid $27 and change to support up to 3 computers for 1 yr.

This website scanned all drivers on my computer, downloaded and installed the latest drivers, 6 for my desktop, then later 12 for my laptop. The sound on my desktop is back, and IMO improved from the OEM HP driver. Right now I'm listening to iheart radio through my speakers.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and assistance!

Good job Ray! And that cost less than taking it in. There was a cumulative update for Windows that just came in too. It's also good to know that drivereasy worked for you. I'm going to try it out with the free version to see what it finds on my systems. Thanks!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

19 hours ago, RV_ said:

Good job Ray! And that cost less than taking it in. There was a cumulative update for Windows that just came in too. It's also good to know that drivereasy worked for you. I'm going to try it out with the free version to see what it finds on my systems. Thanks!

I started to use the free version, however their webpage said it would take approx, 1 hr to complete each driver update(IMO they really throttle the free download), and I"m rather inept on the technical stuff anyway, and couldn't locate the first download in my downloads folder; so I grabbed my plastic and did the deed.

Edited by Ray,IN

I can get mine from the manufacturers Dell especially has driver checkers when I log my system in. But it's good to know that it worked for you.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Sadly here is the latest update, I ran HP diagnostics ( push F2 during start up from shut off), the results are my "hard drive is failing, make a backup of your data ASAP". Today my desktop starts up then freezes. IMO that is the reason the IDT audio driver was lost in the beginning.

I do have a HD backup from last week, so that's covered.

Any suggestions for a quality brand  1TB HD?  Will I be able to install W10 again with a new HD, since the key will be gone with the old HD? This is out of my comfort zone.

Hope this laptop stays running until the desktop is repaired.

Addition; I just removed the HD from my desktop to discover the HD is a  Seagate Barracuda 1000GB, DOM 12/2012. I was under the impression Seagate did not have the best products??? What about Western Digital?

Edited by Ray,IN

19 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Addition; I just removed the HD from my desktop to discover the HD is a  Seagate Barracuda 1000GB, DOM 12/2012. I was under the impression Seagate did not have the best products??? What about Western Digital?

Ray, the Seagate/Western Digital thing is just another Chevy/Ford type of deal -- everybody has an opinion, but there's no telling on what those opinions are based.

Personally, I've always had good experiences with Seagate drives, and I tend to prefer them over WD products.  The next guy to weigh in, though, may tell you the opposite.  Fact is, the failure rate of major brand hard drives is extremely low these days.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Ray

I agree with Phi.  I have had great luck with the Seagate product line.  All my externals are 3 TB HD's.  All my kids have external 3 TB Seagate HD's.  My laptop has a Seagate.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Ray,

Is that a system image backup? Or a data backup?

If you install a drive that you cloned or a system image made previously, the Windows 10 license will not be an issue. If you have an old image you can restore that for Windows 10, and then restore your current data.

If you bought the computer new with Windows 10, get in contact with the manufacturer for a factory restore disk or USB drive because you will need the hardware drivers for your configuration. If your system is more than five years old, it may be better to just buy new and the load your programs and data.

A big piece of advice. Only 8th generation Intel chipsets are designed to mitigate the Spectre and Meltdown hardware vulnerabilities at the hardware level. So buy only those generation chips from now on. I'm waiting another year unless my main system fails first, and no more refurbs for me below Gen 8&9. This is why I do system images in addition to data backups.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Well guys, I panicked too early. I took my HDD to Office Depot and had them check it on their test machine. The man said the HDD was good, likely the user files were corrupted. I came home re-installed it in my desktop, plugged everything back in, turned it on and viola,  it works normally-for now.

I'm wondering if a Microsoft update was trying to install when it froze up???

The problem may never be known unless it happens again.

Thanks for the support and advice everyone!

On 7/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, Ray,IN said:

Will I be able to install W10 again with a new HD, since the key will be gone with the old HD?

Microsoft does not store a key on the hard drive.  Computers that come with Win 10 have a key stored in the bios.  Computers that have been upgraded from Win 7 or Win 8.x have a digital entitlement that is stored on Microsoft servers.  You can install a new hard drive and do a fresh install that will be activated the first time you go online and access Microsoft activation servers.

If you ever need to re-install, you can download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/

Safe Travels...

Edited by k4rs

13 hours ago, k4rs said:

Microsoft does not store a key on the hard drive.  Computers that come with Win 10 have a key stored in the bios.  Computers that have been upgraded from Win 7 or Win 8.x have a digital entitlement that is stored on Microsoft servers.  You can install a new hard drive and do a fresh install that will be activated the first time you go online and access Microsoft activation servers.

If you ever need to re-install, you can download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/

Safe Travels...

Thanks for the information. Tonight it began acting up again, shut down for a few minutes and it's back running normally. I just downloaded a UConnect update for DW's Jeep without any issues. I wondered if it was getting too hot so ran CrystalDiskInfo 8.2.0 and it said temp was 87°F, with 8 sector events. Also, highlighted in Yellow:

Current Pending Sector Count

Current     Worst     Threshold

100             100              0

Reallocation Event Count

100            100             36

I don't have a clue what that means????

The Windows 10 disc management said HDD was healthy.

Edited by Ray,IN