South Dakota Voter Registration Form Question

Hi folks, a small question for those full-timers that established domiciles in South Dakota (SD)... and one that I can't find clear answer to on either SD Secretary of State Voter information web page, or on Escapee's domicile guidance page (oddly).

We became full-timers just over year ago, and set up SD as our domicile state (using Escapees Box Elder mail address as "residence".) Did all the necessary stuff at that time, including Residence Affidavit, and obtained both driver's licenses and vehicle registrations. However, we deferred completing Voter Registrations at that time, and now would like to.

I used the Box Elder address as the residence address, but block 3a on form says that if residence address listed is a PO Box (or rural box, or general delivery), that I must give the location of my residence.

So... what have folks done that works? I'm inclined to write in something like "Full-time RV'ing, Residency Affidavit previously filed" or the like, but would like something more definitive...or at least as definitive as an on-line forum can be, heh. (Have separately sent inquiry to my SD party of choice e-mail address listed on Escapees main site, and awaiting reply.

Thanks!

Full-time since May 29, 2018, formerly from SE Pennsylvania

2017 Ford F350 CC Long Bed, Diesel

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel

Andersen Ultimate Hitch

I filled out mine at the time I renewed my vehicle registration in Aug 2016. I just happened to be there in person and was not doing the renewal by mail. I asked for an absentee ballot. That was for the last election in Nov 2016 and my ballot was sent to my SD Escapees address in Box Elder. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

It's been 3.5 years but I'm pretty sure you need to use the address that you used for your proof of residence.  In other words, the place you overnighted in to establish what SD considers is your address.  We used a campground address.  

I've been known to have CRS so hopefully someone who has recently been involved in this situation can confirm what I believe to be true.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

12 hours ago, Stormin' Norm said:

I used the Box Elder address as the residence address, but block 3a on form says that if residence address listed is a PO Box (or rural box, or general delivery), that I must give the location of my residence.

4 hours ago, redcrzr said:

I'm pretty sure you need to use the address that you used for your proof of residence.  In other words, the place you overnighted in to establish what SD considers is your address.  

What Red said makes sense, you have a residence on file that's on your driver's license, insurance files, IRS files, registration, etc., and it's not a P O Box or the like. That is the address that should be used, right?

Spot

7 hours ago, $Spot said:

What Red said makes sense, you have a residence on file that's on your driver's license, insurance files, IRS files, registration, etc., and it's not a P O Box or the like. That is the address that should be used, right?

Some  SD counties used to not accept your PMB address for voter registration purposes.  Minnehaha County where Sioux Falls is located used to be one of those and required a campground or hotel receipt.  However, I think that all changed a year or so ago. At least we were able to register with no problems.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thank you all that responded so far. And it looks likes definitive answer is still...unknown, lol. Or at minimum, might vary by county. I guess most folks here did it so long ago, they don't recall what went into that specific block of form.

My SD license address is the Box Elder Escapees mailbox address, so that can't (or shouldn't) be correct-myself, I equate that to a P.O. box. Question is, does Pennington County also consider that a PO Box? The campground address I used for proof for Residency Affidavit makes sense, and I'm now leaning that way. 

No answer from party e-mail yet, I'll share that here if/when I get one.

Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Your Escapees SD address is not a P.O. Box, which stands for Post Office Box, it is a PMB which stands for Personal Mail Box which is different and is your legal address recognized by the State of So Dakota and is listed on your drivers liscense. The campground or hotel address is just for proof that you stayed one night in the State. Just list your Escapees address on the form. If it is wrong they will let you know. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

21 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Your Escapees SD address is not a P.O. Box, which stands for Post Office Box, it is a PMB which stands for Personal Mail Box which is different and is your legal address recognized by the State of So Dakota and is listed on your drivers liscense. The campground or hotel address is just for proof that you stayed one night in the State. Just list your Escapees address on the form. If it is wrong they will let you know. 

Thanks. I knew that the two are different, just uncertain if county would treat it so. But you're right, since they listed it on driver license, should be good. Accordingly, will leave Block 3a blank and see if they squawk.

Andersen Ultimate Hitch

9 hours ago, Stormin' Norm said:

Thanks. I knew that the two are different, just uncertain if county would treat it so. But you're right, since they listed it on driver license, should be good. Accordingly, will leave Block 3a blank and see if they squawk.

As I said before, I encountered this problem last year when MyDakotaAddress went out of business.  For 7 years Lake County SD had had no problem with using our PMB address for voter registration purposes.  However, when we switched to YourBestAddress in Minnehaha County we, initially, were refused the right to register.  I had a phone conversation with a person in the registrar's office who told me that I would have to have a campground receipt in that county in order to register there.  Shortly thereafter, when I called back to ask some additional questions, I was told that the County had changed its policy and that the receipt was no longer required.

Contrary to what was stated in previous posts, this had nothing to do with the issue of whether or not the PMB address was provided by Escapees or anyone else.  Apparently, counties in SD have some latitude on this issue so there's no reason to expect consistency on a State level unless someone in the capital steps in.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We ran into that small glitch, too, five years ago. We were told that we had to have a receipt, showing both of our names, to prove that we had spent a night in the State. We stayed at a beautiful State park south of Sioux Falls. When we registered to vote and showed them the receipt, they said we would be registered in Lincoln County, not Minnehaha County, as that was where the park was. We came back to Sioux Falls two weeks later and stayed at the Fairgrounds. With that receipt we were able to switch our voter registration to Minnehaha County.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS