Maximum 5er length?

Eric H.

I've been looking at long DRV 5th wheels, but I just got concern about the maximum length allowed in different states.  This site: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-dimensions/ has a nice list of limitations, but many of them seem ridiculous.  For example, the longest trailer allowed in Arizona seems to be 28.5'.  How can this be?  What am I missing?  Or is AAA just totally wrong about this?

There's still a law on the books in my hometown that it is illegal for a woman to wear a skirt short enough to expose her ankles. Nobody enforces those laws but no one repeals them either.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Nice list but wrong is so many ways.

For the record, 28.5' is the typical max trailer length for double commercial trailers.

Whenever I see lists like this I start with Maryland because I have dug into the state codes in great detail.  Maryland made 40' trailers legal in 2003 and I have yet to see any of these supposedly accurate lists show that.

Length and width rules are by state, i.e. you have to obey the rules of the state when on their roads.  This is unlike your drivers license which is good is all the states and the District of Columbia.

Rough rule of thumb for RVs is 65' rig total, 40' trailer,  45' motorhome.  Be aware that commercial limits are not applicable to RVs.

And yes, sometimes tickets are written for over length.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

While I have no idea what the source of that list is, you can download a copy of this list of state legal lengths from RVIA, the RV manufacturer's association. The most common limit is one of 65' total length for the combination of tow vehicle and towed vehicle. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk's list is a good starting point.  Max over length range from 55' to 75' with the most common being 65'.  That is front bumper to the rear most on the trailer.  

We are 58' nose to tail and have not had any issue with our 40' 5th wheel.

The problems is with the longer trailers, you will be limited on parks that you can fit into.  National Parks and older parks are generally the issue.  You can usually find a commercial park that can take the longer rig.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Kirk is correct, the RVIA list is the most accurate on out there.  For years anything reference RV lengths that AAA puts out is generally 100% wrong.  I don't think they understand the difference between commercial vehicle restrictions and RVs, or at the very least get the restrictions/limitations confused.

We are 73' total length.  We are currently camped with two friends that also have long trailers as toads.  Both of them are longer, one at 75' and one at 76'.  All three of us are illegal in most states.  I knew this when I added my 24' trailer as a toad, my two friends are just now realizing it.  

They are continuing on and visiting Oregon and California.  Someone in the campground told them that they would be illegal in California and if stopped the fine would be over $1,500.  The camper that told them this said he "heard" this information "somewhere".

Here is how I look at being overlength.  First of all it would be an equipment violation if stopped and cited.  Even if the state you would be ticketed in would send that conviction back to your home state it more than likely would never count against your driver's license.  The fine would be more like $75 to $125, nothing like $1,500.  A speeding ticket on the other hand would probably be at least $100 and would certainly count against your driver's license.  I just think you have to keep this whole overlength thing in perspective.

I'm not saying everyone should ignore the length limits.  Just like I'm not saying people should speed or break any of the laws of another state they are visiting.  However, you have to apply common sense.  Ask yourself what violation is more serious and what would a Trooper be more likely to pull an RV over for, traveling 80mph in a 70mph zone, or "appearing" to be over the length limit?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

27 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

I'm not saying everyone should ignore the length limits. 

Uh....yes you are.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

33 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Uh....yes you are.

I figured that would bring a reaction from my old deputy buddy!  How you been there Big?  

As usual you are wrong.  I did not say everyone should ignore the length limits, if we were having this discussion in person I could even read what I typed very slowly to you so you could actually comprehend exactly what I stated.  Now if you want to claim that I am ignoring the length limits then you would be correct.  

Since you are holding yourself out there as some kind of "official" internet length police, let us be totally honest here.  Do you ever speed?  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

I notice that nobody bothered to review  section 41-4001 of the Arizona code, which contains the definition of recreational vehicle.   Being a recreational vehicle is an exempt to the 'trailer' length for other types of trailers, and as such it is 40' in Arizona with motorhomes having a max length of 45'.   Overall length for trailer+tow vehicle is 65', same as for motorhome pulling something else.    Notice, this is for registering in Arizona.  I don't know that they would pull you over if you are over length going through the state.  

Also, isn't it a given that if it is something about an RV that AAA will have it wrong?

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

California has some history enforcing length laws and recently significantly raised violation fines.  If one were to be cited I'm pretty sure $100 wouldn't begin to cover it.  Over length and over weight fines can be very expensive.  Arizona on the other hand must not prioritize over length as I see many long setups. There are more than one of us posting here that are over length or over width at times so I guess it is not a priority in a lot of states.  If one were to be involved in an accident priorities might change.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Part of the reason why some States have shorter lengths permitted than others may be that their roads are narrower and maybe have more curves. The Interstate Highway system has design standards that are uniform nationwide. Other highways are designed in the States, and don't meet those standards. Particularly in the East, roads may still follow what was, essentially, a foot path. Yes, it has been widened some, and some of the sharper bends have been straightened, but it is still more suitable for a car than for a MH towing a vehicle or a large truck towing a larger 5'er.

While I'm thinking of it, pay attention to height restrictions on your proposed route.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

11 hours ago, kb0zke said:

Other highways are designed in the States, and don't meet those standards.

The US routes also meet the federal standards. State highways are less so and county roads can get really interesting. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

22 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Joe, how long has it been since you have had a speeding ticket?  $100 - you should be so lucky.  B)

Actually it has been just over 50 years since I've received one.  Got one when I was 16 and none since.  Not that I don't speed on occasion, just don't get caught all that often I guess.  It has been almost 20 years since I wrote someone a speeding ticket and back then in Illinois they were $75 plus costs.  Of course I imagine all states have different prices for the privilege of getting a speeding ticket in their state.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Actually, I'd looked at the RVIA list as well, but it was even more confusing!  For example, the 1st line, for Alabama in the 5th Wheel column says "40' Vehicle", with a comment of "'Fifth wheel trailer' is not separately defined under maximum length provisions. 'Trailer' is not separately defined from 'Vehicle'.'.  What does that mean?  The maximum combined length is 40'?  The trailer length can only be 40'?  The additional length of the 5er over the length of the tow vehicle can only be 40'?

Why have laws that aren't enforced?  I can see very old laws, like the mentioned skirt length law, but vehicle laws are much more modern, and are updated at least once in a while.

As I said before, not one of the tables I have ever seen on length/width limits has been correct.  The only accurate sources are from each state, either from the Drivers Licence manual or more accurately the state codes. So trying to fine line reading those tables is useless.

In doing research for the HHRV Resource Guide, http://www.hhrvresource.com, for limits on using Class 8 trucks for RV purposes, I have been in all 50 states'and the District of Columbia codes and have seen the actual definitions and limits.  

While I considered compiling my own and accurate table, I decided against it as I don't get paid for researching things for people who don't want to do the lookup them selves or just ignore laws anyways.

If you want the accurate numbers, look them up.  By law, all state codes have to be available to the public on the Internet.  And every state Department of Motor Vehicles has the Drivers license manuals online.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

OP:  The link below is directly from Arizona government, not any of those all-inclusive charts floating around the internet.  You will see that 45' is the max for a motorhome and 65' is the max for a  recreational vehicle trailer/truck combo.

In our 16 years of full-timing and traveling constantly we saw big RVs in every state.  45' is now the max. motorhome size and there are plenty of them out there.  California has a special publication of where a 45' would not be allowed to go and the roads are ones you wouldn't want to drive it on anyway.

Buy the RV that you want and you'll be just fine!

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/01095.htm

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 4 weeks later...

I hope AZ does not enforce their length limits, we are picking up a  5th wheel trailer that is being built in AZ that is 46'-10" long and I am expecting when hooked up to our HDT we will be around 74' long. We will find out at the beginning of September when we pick it up if the build goes good.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

12 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

I hope AZ does not enforce their length limits, we are picking up a  5th wheel trailer that is being built in AZ that is 46'-10" long and I am expecting when hooked up to our HDT we will be around 74' long. We will find out at the beginning of September when we pick it up if the build goes good.

Dave

Dave, we have been in AZ all week, came down US-89 and are staying just off I-40.  We will be moving closer to Phoenix in a couple days and staying there several days prior to heading down and over to NM.  

We are right at 73' and have passed a couple Troopers and one or two Deputies.  Just like all the other states we have visited, if you aren't driving like an idiot they just don't pay attention to RV's length.  The only issue I have had was parking in rest areas.  Since I am slightly longer than most commercial truck-tractor-semi-trailer combinations I have to be careful they don't clip me when they pull out.

Congrats on your upcoming new unit and safe travels!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana