Another Canadian border question

RandV

I've read several Google results on this topic, but still have questions!  We will be entering Canada with our TT at Niagara Falls, and a month later reentering US  south of Quebec City at Sandy Bay Township, into Maine. 

Alcohol and firewood rules are crystal clear.

I travel with pepper spray in the truck and in the bedside drawer, but never travel with a firearm.  Canadian law enforcement must be excellent since one is not allowed any sort of personal protection, lol.  Can I bring a baseball bat?  I also read that my 5" blade hunting knife may not be allowed.  What about steak knives and kitchen knives, which are really no different from the "hunting" knife.  What about the typical Home Depot utility knife that I keep in my toolbox? I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to follow the rules.  I realize that enforcement is usually quite lax, but I have a fear of being the "lucky traveller "whose turn it is to be thoroughly searched.

Food is the other area of concern.  Fresh fruits and vegetables are clearly forbidden.  I grew up with the distinction of "fresh" meaning "not frozen". Are frozen vegetables considered fresh for this purpose? Same with meat?  What about cooked food, such as ready to eat stuff from the grocery store, and leftovers? What about half empty containers of condiments, or cooking or olive oil?  Open jars of spices?

Thanks to those who take the time to answer a few of these questions!  Any other advice to make this go smoothly will be greatly appreciated.

Weapons basically, are not allowed. If they find your bat, cut down, and under the front seat, it's a weapon. Expect to loose it. In a storage compartment, it's sporting goods. Hunting knife in the door pocket, same thing. Put it in a compartment, or kitchen drawer. Utility knife, see above. 

Food. Keep all frozen food in the original package. It's never fresh, once it's been frozen. Leftovers, try to minimize them. Spices? Don't worry about them. Unless you keep your "Oregano" in a baggie, as you head south. We're cool with it up here. Olive oil, not an issue. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The rare times I've been selected for a secondary inspection they've never had a problem with the WWII wooden nightstick I keep by the driver's seat as a tire thumper. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Pepper spray could be an issue - I've been asked about it before.  I carry bear spray which is legal.  But there's size requirements, I got the impression that small containers that are more like pepper spray containers might be an issue.  Mine was originally purchased in Banff so mine meets their standards (and I have been questioned fairly closely about it once).

Leftovers might be an issue.  There's rules that I don't remember all of about meat like sausage that's not in commercial containers so I've usually just tossed something like that before crossing.  I've never been chosen for a secondary inspection when I've gone into Canada so don't know what it's like.

We bike and carry a small container of pepper spray for dogs that chase.  When we crossed into Canada we forgot we had it.  They asked if we did and we owned up to it.  The agent took it and examined it carefully and even took it inside to ask someone else about it.  He returned and was so apologetic saying if it's not bear spray and marked as such he'd have to take it.  Big deal. I think it cost a couple bucks.

No fresh food just to be sure.  Things change yearly. Frozen o.k.  No potatoes.  Open condiments and spices ok.  Enjoy your trip. Canadians are very friendly, helpful and we never felt safer!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Pertinent links:

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/menu-eng.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/government/dept.html?utm_medium=decommissioned+site&utm_campaign=Canada+Site+Redirect+Tracking&utm_source=canada.gc.ca/depts/major/depind-eng.html&utm_content=Launch+Tracking

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

One quirk you should be aware of is; if you have a drunk driving arrest or conviction on your record, be prepared to be denied entry into Canada. You may apply for a waiver prior to arriving at a border crossing.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, rdickinson said:

If in doubt call Canadian Customs directly.  Things change.

Yes call when in doubt. There are differences between the various Customs offices as well. Both Canadian and US.

Yesterday approaching Canadian customs, I was 'rerouted' through US customs for a few questions. Most notably 'Are you carrying any hitchhikers?'. I was then sent to Canadian customs where I wanted to go in the first place!. That was a first.

Stan 

2004 Itasca Sunrise - 8.1 - Workhorse W22 - Allison 1000 - Chevy Cobalt toad

It's the luck of the draw going both ways.  Anyone of them could be having a bad day before you showed up.  Going South the US people were more concerned with fresh fruit, whether it came from the US or not.  Frozen precooked meals they didn't care about.  I've not been asked about drug use but understand they can.  If you have used but have non on  or with you, entry can be denied.  Convictions for drinking or drug use plus others is reason enough for them to deny Canadians or anyone else entry to the US.

I'm guessing the same applies going the other way.  Add to that you are not allowed to bring weapons across.  Shotguns...I'm not sure about, call first.  Don't have any loose or empty cartridges kicking around.

I've had all my repair or work done receipts clipped together for Canadian Customs.  In one case they let them go, in another the woman told me it was increasing the value of the rig so charged me 600$.

Members from both sides have taken courses in assessing people as they talk to you just like a Medic or MD is when you first walk in or talk to them.  We or they are assessing you from the moment we see you, your eyes, demeanor, how you walk and or talk and what you say.  Are you fidgety..hmm, that could be a cocaine issue.  Do you or your rig smell of pot? 

The dogs both Border Services use will pick up on drugs well before getting to the rig, so I'm told.

Call first, save yourself some grief.

"Fresh" food is usually defined at the border as anything that could be replanted ... so potatoes, onions, anything with seeds. We crossed Canada to US and they took our cucumbers and cherries. Bananas were fine. It really depends on the mood your customs agent is in that day, I guess! 

i can not say about canada and there anti safety laws. but in most of the USA, a baseball bat with no other "game" things can land you in jail.  and never ever say to any law enforcement, "it's for safety" not even in the USA.

as to the bat, just keep a couple of used baseballs and a glove with it for the game.

those little key chain sprays, are junk at best. the bigger one that will stop a bear are illegal in some states.

as to food, if it can be called "fresh" do not take it with you, including into california.

booze only in very limited amounts.

guns, lets say store them in a very safe, very secure place (like maybe a pawn shop--for loan only deals. best is family) till you get back into the USA.

there game, there rules, they control everything. so must play there way.

best is to contact one of there embassy a month before going there for papers, meds, and such. as well as the newest laws and implication of them.