My water pump stopped working :(

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend! Mine will be better if I can get my water pump working again.

I've owned my 2017 Pleasure Way Lexor for a little over 2 months now. I am full-timing in it. I've been parked in the same spot for the last 2 days and haven't moved my van. This morning, my water pump is not working. No sound or nothing. Just dead. I checked the breaker panel but those breaker buttons are numbered up to 48 and the water pump says 56. So I have no idea where that is. There is no leak or lose parts under the sink where the pump is located. 

Considering this is Saturday and I know nothing about electrical or mechanical, I probably can't use my faucet until Monday... unless someone can guide me what to look and test.

Thanks in advance and have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

If you can get easy access to the pump and have a simple 6/12 Volt DC test lamp (or a voltmeter) you can verify if 12 Volts DC (house battery power) is present there. There would typically be two incoming power wires (maybe red n black maybe black n white) with crimp or butt or wire nut splices that connect to the pump assembly. The hot wire on the assembly AFTER connection to the incoming feed wire connects to the pressure switch on the pump assembly so if pressure drops it closes and powers the pump. It closes and turns the pump ON if pressure drops to maybe 15 to 20 lbs then opens and shuts the pump off at maybe 40 to 50 PSI. To run it needs 12 VDC coming in off the two feed wires then the onboard pressure switch has to close.

YOU GET NOTHING UNTIL 12 VDC IS AT THE PUMP ASSEMBLY and then it runs ONLY IF the onboard pressure switch closes. Its typically fed by a water pump On Off switch somewhere and visible up top. Do you have one and is it ON ?????????? If so then the DC test lamp or voltmeter down at the pump assembly input should indicate voltage. If not, then look for a tripped circuit breaker or a blown fuse somewhere in the 12 Volt DC distribution panel NOTE that's NOT the same as the 120 Volt AC distribution system panel even if both are in the same basic  location. The 120 VAC are typically circuit breakers like 15 or so amp while the 12 VDC are blade type fuses or small button circuit breakers etc. Its the 12 VDC breakers or fuses you're concerned with.

Insure any On Off switch is on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,insure theres 12 VDC getting to the pump assembly,,,,,,,,,,,,if not check for a blown fuse (likely blade automotive type or older were glass) or a tripped small DC circuit breaker. 

NOTE even if the numbers don't match up CHECK FOR ANY TRIPPED DC CIRCUIT BREAKERS or blown blade or glass fuses, one may still be what feeds the pumps On Off switch then the pump assembly but numbered wrong. The DC panel typically feeds ALL 12 VDC loads and the water pump is typically one of them........... NOTE if it has an On Off pump switch up top those can fail to close the circuit also and you dont get voltage to the pump assembly 

NOTE are you also connected to the parks water ??? Depending on plumbing and valves and connections that might matter  

NOTE pressure switches on the pump assemblies can fail or a clog or restriction in the plumbing can caused them to NOT close and run the pump. If its open even if 12 VDC is there she's not gonna run. You may to be ready to catch the water and mess with the pumps in and out fittings to see if you can get it to run??????????   

NOTE there can be plumbing problems but for now if its NOT running at all start with the electrical checks first.

Maybe some good gent can post pictures or diagrams to go along with this verbal troubleshooting, Im not very handy at that

John T 

2 hours ago, KayoCan said:

This morning, my water pump is not working. No sound or nothing. Just dead. I checked the breaker panel but those breaker buttons are numbered up to 48 and the water pump says 56.

Since you have been using the pump, it seems fair to assume that you already checked to be sure that the pump is turned on. I will also assume that you are looking at the same manual for the Luxor that I found online? On page 26 is mentions that the pump has a water filter that should be checked regularly. Have you done that? (The inline flow filter is located on the inlet side of the water pump.) Your manula also states that the water pump is supplied by a fuse that is #56. Unfortunately it does not say where the fuses are located but if there as an openable door on that panel, I would look inside for the fuses as they are probably somewere in that power distribution panel. The buttons numbered 1 through 48 are circuitbreakers and not fuses. Do your lights and other appliances work as a loss of 12V would stop more than just the pump. 

If you have a volt meter of trouble shooting light you can check for power to the pump. The place to check is at the connectors shown with red & black wires in the picture of your pump on page 26. If the pump switch is turned on and if the fuse is good, there will be power to those leads and if there is, the next item to suspect is the pump. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

PS if you're a newbie and our verbal advice above isn't much help, you might try some of the videos I just found linked below so perhaps you can SEE what were talking about...……….  If the output was completely plugged or closed off (which I doubt) the pumps pressure switch would think alls well and NOT run, but my first suspect is its not getting voltage (fuse, circuit breaker, open wiring, switch problem, pressure switch problem etc etc) 

"RV Water Pump stopped working"

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rv+water+pump+stopped+working

You can do this, good luck

John T

Wow thank you so much for all the replies! 

I have not posted the same question on Irv2 Class B forum and I did not know that the Pleasure Way Facebook page existed. This forum has been very helpful in the past, so I thought I would start here. 

I did check the filter and cleaned it, but it didn't help. Everything else in the van is working and the problem seems to be isolated to the water pump. It was working until last night. Also, I think I found where the fuses are based on the manual (cabinet above the kitchen) but it is sealed with a white panel and it does not open. So I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be messing with it? 

Unfortunately I don't have any volt meter. However, I am not very mechanical. I watched a few YouTube videos (thanks, oldjohnt!and this is a little overwhelming. I feel dumb but I might I just have to take the van to a repair shop on Monday. Perhaps I can learn from them for the next time. 

Thanks again all and have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

1 minute ago, KayoCan said:

I found where the fuses are based on the manual (cabinet above the kitchen) but it is sealed with a white panel and it does not open. So I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be messing with it? 

I am wondering if you have the same manual as I am looking at? It says this:

12 VOLT DC BREAKERS AND DC LOAD CENTER
This load center is located in the cabinet below the driver side ottoman cushion. This DC load center controls all the multiplex wiring systems and switch panels. This load center also has resettable breakers for the various components.

If there are fuses inside it should be fairly easy to open. Does the panel that you found have the resetable breakers numbered 1 through 46?  2017 Pleasure-Way Luxor

Kirk, my manual is a printed version that came with the van and although it's almost the same as the PDF version you mention, some things are slightly different. I think my van's interior is 2016 model? (though it's registered as 2017) because I don't have a 2000w inverter. However, the photos of control panels seem to match the 2017 version and the photos in my manual don't always look like what I have. So I'm not really sure what I have. That being said, my manual has a picture of the 'kitchen upper fuse panel' and my van has a white panel to cover it up. I tried to remove it, but it doesn't seem removable. 

Here is the screenshot of the manual showing the fuse panel:

2019-06-22_2034

and this is my upper cabinet where it's covered up:

2019-06-22_2039

I hope you can see these pictures. 

Behind the white plastic covers, you'll find screws that hold the panel in place. Remove them, I bet you find the fuse panel. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

57 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Behind the white plastic covers, you'll find screws that hold the panel in place. Remove them, I bet you find the fuse panel. 

Thanks! You are right about the screws! However,  one of the screws is stripped and I cannot remove it. I don’t want to break the panel and it’s getting late. I will try again tomorrow. 

Its often the situation where any manual I have or any I find online DOES NOT MATCH THE RV IM WORKING ON grrrrrrrrrrrr lol 

Regardless one has to check for voltage at the pump assembly and if none is present trace back for a fuse or breaker or wiring or a switch issue.

Another warning is IFFFFFFFF a fuse is blown or a breaker tripped THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A REASON such as a short in the wiring (it happens) or maybe the pump motor itself has gone south or maybe it was an intermittent problem.  Resetting the breaker or replacing a blown fuse may just cause it to happen again !!!!!!!!!!!! if so, then you HAVE TO FIND THE CAUSE be it a short in the wiring or a motor problem 

If you're not comfortable with attempting the repair yourself and/or are electrically challenged (like many RV owners) I commend you for taking it to a professional as you could make things worse lol But hey we will continue to help as much as we can...……...

Let us know what you find, maybe if you do get to the fuse/breaker that feeds the water pump and its blown/tripped curing that may just be all that's needed ???????????? but hope its not a wiring short and it will just blow/trip again !!!!

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

11 hours ago, KayoCan said:

I think my van's interior is 2016 model? (though it's registered as 2017)

You have the answer on that as the manual that you have is available on the Pleasure-Way website, but it is under the 2016 Luxor. And Daryl made exactly the right suggestion. 

8 hours ago, KayoCan said:

one of the screws is stripped and I cannot remove it.

When you get backto work on this, use something like a wedge or wooden tool to put outward pressure on the edge of the plastic as near that screw as possible while you attempt ro rotate it counterclockwise to remove it. It make take a significant amount of pressure to do this but that should get the screw to back out if enough outward pressure is applied. I have found that sometimes you can take the screw above partially out, slip sometning into the crack between the cover and the wall, sliding it as far as possible down toward the problem screw. Next tighten the good screw enough to apply pressuer against your wedge and holde it in place, then try backing the reluctant screw out again. 

12 hours ago, KayoCan said:

John is right, I should probably get a professional help. 

If you aren't comfy that may be necessary, hey that's nothing to be ashamed of "Been there done that" in my life. That doesn't look anything like what the manual shows nor any DC fuse panel lol.  Is that what was behind the picture and panel you posted above????

Sorry I cant say from here where in the heck your fuse panel is. I would guess somewhere ABOVE (or beside or near) the picture above as so many wires and the buss are there. YOU GOTTA BE CLOSE . I hate to see you give up now. Do you know or can you get to the area ABOVE (or beside or near) that picture and maybe find the panel ????

NOTE The manual speaks of a FUSE AND "AUTO RESET" BREAKER PANEL and it lists Water Pump as a BRKR and 10 Amp. Iffffffffff its an auto reset breaker (NOT a manual reset) and ifffffffffffffff its NOT a fuse as the manual seems to indicate EVEN IF IT TRIPPED AND IF ITS A WORKING AUTO RESET BREAKER,,,,,,,,THATS NOT YOUR PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!! Get it? If there is a 10 amp Auto Reset Breaker and it tripped and auto reset itself or if it continues to trip out YOU MAY HAVE A SHORT IN THE WIRES TO THE PUMP or the pump itself is the problem ??? Or sure a breaker can have tripped and gone bad and failed to reset (or it requires a manual reset) so its still good to find that darn panel !!! You might luck out and reset it and you're good to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DISCLAIMER I have no idea from here if the water pump is served by an automatic reset breaker, I'm ONLY going by what the manual says so maybe it has such, maybe its a manual reset ???????? 

Sorry I cant help more from here remotely and have to keep "guessing" but if its NOT a breaker that's tripped and NOT resetting orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr if its working and staying tripped and doing its job due to excess current draw, I'm down to a short or failure (open) in the wiring to the pump or the pump has gone bad ???????????

If you want to throw in the towel I cant blame you, maybe some of the other good gents here can guide you to the panel, but it may or may not be the cure to your problem regardless. A volt meter or 6/12 Volt DC test lamp on the two input wires to your pump assembly would indicate voltage or the lack thereof maybe due to a wiring failure or a switch problem. IFFFFFFFF there's good full voltage TO the pump assembly and its still not working, its a pump or pump pressure switch problem is my best guess.

ALSO  I have often seen the problem as simple as a wire (the + or the -)  came loose or broke or was pinched off  maybe at the pump,,,,,,,,, or on the switch (connector came off) ,,,,,, or elsewhere, so there's no voltage to power the pump. If that's the case it NOT any circuit breaker or panel problem so no need to find it !!!!!!!! 

Since you can get to the water pump take a careful look at its wiring looking for a loose hanging or non attached wire somewhere??? If one came loose (seen it happen)  that can be your problem and you can forget about locating the panel for now. The fact it was working then suddenly stopped leads me to think perhaps a wire came loose (no voltage at pump assembly input) or maybe a short (breaker is open therefore again no voltage)...……..

Best I have to offer from here, maybe others have more or different ideas as to the problem, I'm running out of smarts and guesses lol

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

13 hours ago, KayoCan said:

BUT what's inside is different from the manual and I'm not even sure what I'm looking at. 

That isn't part of the distribution panel but it is plumbing access and the black is either a drain pipe or a plumbing vent. If up high it is probably a vent that goes up through the RV roof.  The fuses are probably inside of the distrubition panel but if you aren't sure what you are looking for, it may well be time to call a mobile RV service. The fuse holders probably look like one of these.

71Y+1iEL4bL._AC_UL320_.jpg or71ZE4k-eKKL._AC_UL320_.jpg

or they could be in a fuse panel.

61tZasU-6OL._AC_UL320_.jpg  or    818iDH+KlKL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Edited by Kirk W

I bought a volt meter yesterday but after watching a couple of YouTube videos, I decided that it wasn’t for me. So I called a professional help yesterday (I asked for a recommendation from the campground I’m currently staying at). I wasn’t expecting anyone to come out until today but they came over last night to diagnose. The conclusion is that it’s not electrical but it’s the water pump that is going bad. He was able to make the pump work by messing with it (as in wiggling the wire and such), but it only lasted for a few min. He also said it was really loud as in it’s on its last leg and I thought that it was normal! He couldn’t get the part last night so I am waiting on him to come back to install a new pump today. I can also make the pump to work for a couple of min by wiggling the unit. I should have a new pump by this afternoon! 

BTW, to answer John's question, yes, the photo is what was behind the white panel and there is nothing above the panel area, just the ceiling. And thank you Kirk for the fuse photo! It maybe under the breaker panel area and there is a small opening to see inside but there are so many wires in there. 

Thanks again for all your help!!! You guys have been so helpful! 

5 hours ago, KayoCan said:

The conclusion is that it’s not electrical but it’s the water pump that is going bad.

"He was able to make the pump work by messing with it (as in wiggling the wire and such)"   A wire could have been loose and a resistive voltage dropping current path resulted possibly damaging the pump ?? 

20 hours ago, KayoCan said:

John is right, I should probably get a professional help. 

Sorry, I wish I could have provided more help to avoid that, however you still learned something I'm sure and thanks for the feedback. I've had those pumps last for years and years and still working but yours obviously went bad, MURPHYS LAW lol

PS maybe while the tech is there he can locate your fuse panel ???

CONGRATULATIONS you got it fixed, Best wishes and God Bless 

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

Update. For some reason the pump started working again after I wiggled it a couple of times so I did not replace the pump on Monday. Almost a week later it stopped again :( I wonder that the motor is going bad after all and I should have just replaced it when I had a chance. I’m no longer in the same town.

I usually fill up the water tank and use it instead of city water. And to be honest, I didn’t even think about connecting the hose directly, though most the sites I have been staying at recently are electric only sites and no water.

Wiggling worked a few times but that’s not working anymore. I’ll be dry camping for a week and I’m wondering if I should just buy a new pump and be done with it or try to fix the problem. I will have to hire someone either way. The pump is rather new, the van is a 2016/2017 model. 

47 minutes ago, KayoCan said:

Wiggling worked a few times but that’s not working anymore. I’ll be dry camping for a week and I’m wondering if I should just buy a new pump and be done with it or try to fix the problem

Thanks for the update Kayo. I can tell you this, if I had that symptom where "wiggling" the wires where there was a butt splice or wire nut or crimp of wires together I WOULD IF NECESSARY REMOVE ANY SUCH SPLICE OR WIRE NUT CONNECTION OR BUTT JOINT AND RECONNECT THE WIRES. If there was a defective wire connection wiggling might make them temporarily connect but they will eventually break completely so the pump wouldn't work at all. Sure the pump could be bad HOWEVER anytime wiggling of wires makes something work I SUSPECT A BAD CONNECTION.

Maybe one of the fine gentlemen can post pictures of wire nut connections and butt splices or crimps etc so you know what to look for.

Soooooooooooo buy a new pump if you're convinced the old is bad, but don't overlook a simple bad wire connection (cheap n easy n so simple to repair) may be the whole problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

NOTE when you say wiggle, I'm thinking wires and wire connections are what was wiggled and made the pump work. I DONT KNOW SITTING HERE.  If its more of a mechanical or pressure affecting "wiggle" of the pump body the pump pressure switch may be faulty and/or you may need to replace it or perhaps the whole pump  ???????? Even a perfect new pump wont work if there's a faulty electrical connection.

Take care Kayo, best wishes

John T

Thanks, John. I wiggled the wires as well as the unit itself (more like shaking/slapping) :) 

I was able to find the exact same pump today so I went ahead and bought it. I also found someone who can look at the problem tomorrow. 

Thanks again!