New MorRyde independant suspension concerns

Hi all,

We just switched from axels to MorRyde independent suspension system on our fifth wheel in April.  We are very pleased with ride and stability.   We are concerned after seven thousand miles that the rubber shear springs and hydraulic shocks are not preforming the way we were led to believe.  

We would love to hear from anyone who has done this conversion.

Thanks! 

Are you saying the space between the plates that the rubber springs are bonded to are only 1 inch apart?

Since the spring plates should work in a parallel fashion, the plates should not close on each other.

If you are in fact seeing a 1 inch spacing between the plates, I would be calling MOE/ryde.  

Out trailer is 13 years old with about 90,000 miles and the rubber spring spacing is the same as new.  We did replace one spring several years ago because we has a slight bonding failure.

Photo of when we replaced the rubber spring.  You can the normal spacing of the rubber spring plates.

Edited by Mark and Dale Bruss

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

MORryde always weighs the RV prior to IS installation, if they did the install they'd tell you the weight and they also measured our height.  The weight is used to determine which  IS and rubber to install.       Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

The printed material from MORryde has a section on determining the rubber shear spring deflection.  The springs are not separating laterally.   The deflection is a vertical measurement.   The deflection has gone from 2.5 inches to 1inch after less than 3 months and 7000 miles.  It sounds like they might not have put a strong enough shear spring based on the weight. Or the hydraulic shock is failing. 

In 2010 we had 8K IS installed by MORryde.  The first rubber was too stiff and the fifth wheel rode hard.  A couple months later they installed a softer rubber and we travelled a year on them and the ride again became too hard.  Fortunately we visit lower MI each summer and stopped at MORryde and the soft rubbers had collapsed.  They again replaced the rubber and for the next 7 years until we sold the HitchHiker we had no further troubles, not even alignment.  

Yes it is possible your current rubber were too soft and collapsed, I'd call MORryde.     Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I would hazard a guess that failure of these suspension blocks is more common than moryde would have us believe!  I myself had to replace a set on my Fullhouse once, a year after i bought it.

As to the shocks; a normal shock supports no weight.  A gas shock will "support" about 50 pounds because of the pressure of the gas that is inside. That gas is there only to reduce the foaming of the hydrolic oil.  

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

5 hours ago, Big Greg said:

MORryde always weighs the RV prior to IS installation, if they did the install they'd tell you the weight and they also measured our height.  The weight is used to determine which  IS and rubber to install.       Greg

If this was an off the shelf unit from the factory lot, Moryde may not have weighed the unit.  Ambition units may not be weighed until they leave the factory finished.  So by the time RV Factory (Ambition/Lux) adds their final touches, then the owner adds all their stuff, the RV is probably over weight.  One of the main complaints of Ambition/Lux is the lack of cargo capacity.... but most folks take what they want anyway.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We have had the Mor Ryde IS on both our Montanas since 2006 with not a single problem and over 130K miles traveled.Give MorRyde a call with your concerns.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

If you are in the area or can travel to MORryde have them check your springs, their service shop is second to none!  We were just in for a "routine alignment", the tech spotted two bad (torn) springs, we had to have them replaced.  Keep in mind there's a 5 year warranty on those, they replace "N/C" if you're within warranty!  

MORryde treats you like royalty while you're visiting their service shop!  Beautiful waiting area, beverages supplied, lunch IF you're there that long AND a T shirt!  Oh, and WIFI too.

Dan

LDSP.jpg