Local Illinois CG Discount For Veterans

FL-JOE

We try to spend anywhere from 3 to 4 months off and on in the central Illinois area every summer.  We each have a parent (90's) living in this area plus 5 kids, and 13 grandkids.  Normally there is a park district campground we can use that is very inexpensive and friendly.  This year due to local flooding we were forced to find a different place to stay about 20 miles away.  

This campground is a McLean County owned facility on a large lake north of Bloomington/Normal Illinois (Camlara).  It is operated like many State parks or County parks where you have only electric and can only be on a site for 2 weeks at a time.  You can stay longer but you have to book on a different site and move every two weeks.

Very scenic with large lots.  All gravel sites with a few long pull through but mostly back in.  Very well maintained with a great staff.

The first couple of weeks we paid around $27.00 per night.  I thought it was just a little on the high end because all the sites are electric only.  However, we stopped in the Ranger office to book another 10 days yesterday and the worker booking our next site asked about my veteran status.  After telling him I was a veteran he went back through the computer and not only changed what they would be charging us for the next site but re-figured what we had already paid.  He then refunded us $18 and said we were good to go for another 10 days!

We figured it up after leaving the office and this veteran discount brings their large pull through sites down to $13 and change per night.  In several years of full timing this is the first time I have received this type of veterans discount.  

Thank you McLean County Illinois!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

There are many businesses that offer a military discount but don't advertise it.  I ask almost everywhere and am happy most times to get a discount. I went to Verizon once to buy a hotspot that was on sale @ $99.00. I ask about military discount and flashed my retiree ID. A few minutes later I walked out with the hotspot for $5.80.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

I have several parks on my list where I know to mention my veteran status at check-in, and always ask at new parks unless we're using another discount already. I haven't found any yet that allow a double discount, nor would I expect them to.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Howdy!

I’m of the mind “if I don’t ask, I want get it”. So I always ask if they give discounts for military veterans or law enforcement.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I will start asking at campgrounds now.  

As we travel around the country we stop in about all the Harley dealerships we come across.  A couple years ago we were buying something at one in Tennessee and found out they gave 15% as a veterans discount.  From then on we asked and generally speaking most Harley dealers in the south always gave a veterans discount.  

While visiting the Harley dealer in Bloomington Illinois (Chuck's Harley) last year, which I am sad to say is in McLean County Illinois, my wife asked about a veterans discount.  The owner, an older lady, went off on her!  She started ranting and carrying on about how tired she was with "these veterans wanting something for nothing".  As soon as my wife came over and related the conversation to me we left.  A couple weeks ago I needed oil and a filter so I could service my bike.  We took an afternoon and drove 85 miles to a different Harley dealer instead of the 8 miles to Chuck's Harley.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)