Anybody doing business consulting while on the road?

I haven't made the leap yet into the RV life style.  Still doing my research on some things that I need to educate myself about to make this successful.

So, I would like to hear from anyone who has found work on the road doing any sort of business consulting.  Some examples of buzz words this might look like include:  project management, solution consultant, product management, etc.

I'm at least 10 years away from retirement, single lady currently with a small horse farm.

I'm familiar w/workcamper opportunities and would likely look for those situations but I would need to supplement that income with something beyond the types of jobs like teaching English to Chinese children or data entry.  I've seen some who have launched some online businesses through blogging and such but I'm trying to assess how many people out there on the road are doing jobs in the "business world".  There are plenty of online job boards available for searching and I watch them, but again, just want to hear how many out there are working in these fields either PT or FT on the road.  I have a B.S. in Computer Science, an MBA and several certifications in my field.  I'm not looking to completely replace my income, just partially through something fairly predictable.  

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm retiring over the next few weeks, but have been in the management and technical consulting field for about 35 years.   Almost all of that has involved full-time travel.  (Not the fun RV type, but the tiresome business travel type.)  You should be familiar with the suggestions below, so forgive me for mentioning some common sources.  But, just in case, here's my two cents.

As always, the very best opportunities will come from within your network of colleagues.  No question.  But, if you need to reach outside your circle of friends and clients, I'd look at DICE and LinkedIn.  More specifically, I'd join groups within LinkedIn that relate directly to your interests and experience.  There's always people there discussing needs and you might just match that need.  I'd ignore the other boards, but others might disagree with that.  Good luck with your hunt!

Thanks ROUS.  I'm pretty familiar with all the various job boards, LinkedIn, etc.  Online jobs are not as easy to get as one might think, at least from my experience.  During my career, I have sought out online jobs but so many companies have this "BUTT IN SEAT" mentality.  It's changing but not fast enough.  Those job boards are good but so many companies post jobs that require such specialized industry/product/tools that unless you have x,y, z, making it past the HR black hole rarely happens.  My colleagues have experienced the same issues, which is why I'm just seeing what people here might say.  The technology "flavor of the month" means that when you spend a year or two (or more) become really good in that product/tool/industry is no longer the "flavor of the month".  That's exactly why I got out of doing software development very early on in my career.  

It sounds like with your experience you and I probably have many similarities in our professional background.

Edited by horsenut2000

There certainly aren't enough telecommuting roles.  That's for sure.   But, there are needs in small states or remote places that have a very difficult time being filled.  South Dakota is a good example.  Airline commuters tend to avoid those places because the connections are typically terrible.  While not telecommuting, it could be a great fit for a full-time RVer that will physically go there.  Heck, RVers tend to like remote places like that.  So, in some circumstances, you would have a distinct advantage over people that would need to buy air tickets and hotel rooms.  (You would snicker at your competitors in a bemused manner.)

Anyway, best of luck in your hunt.  I bet you do just fine.

• 11 months later...

Hi

Bit late arrival.

The corona virus and lockdown in my country has had me thinking along these line a LOT in the last 6 weeks.

Have managed to get by with a 50% reduction in billable hours but need additional contract work to get back up there. 

It is quite possible to do process workshops, data and business architecture discussions via Teams. Just ends up as a lot more admin work afterwards. Very different type of concentration and interaction needed.

I am very keen to hear how you have progressed on this - graeme@cartwright.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

Sage advice and comments from ROUS.

My background is in electro-mechanical engineering and project/production management.  Most of my opportunities have come from within my network of colleagues, previous employers, and word of mouth.  None have come from job boards, LinkedIn, or placement agencies.  That being said, all of the companies have needed technical support in remote locations (Dakotas, Puerto Rico, Arkansas, Mexico, etc.) that needed a continuous support/presence (boots on the ground) for multiple months at a time......not just occasional visits from the parent company support personnel.  I fully retired in February, but all my projects in the last 4 years fell along the border at various maquiladoras in Mexico.  Of that, I had perhaps 6 months of remote, virtual support/monitoring and only traveling back when requested.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

• 1 year later...

I've been a biz owner (copywriter turned consultant, and now both) for almost 10 years, including while RVing. We've never been full-time, but plan to be someday. I have an entire membership which Escapees get a discount on that teaches about how to set up as a consultant and manage your biz from the road. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions or find Roadpreneur in the Member Benefits section.