Blue-Green Algae in Water

Zulu

We're camping along the Chetco River in Oregon and noticed a lot of algae in the water and on the river banks. This surprised me because the river, though not really swift, is in constant motion. I thought algae blooms were still-water phenomena.

Anyway, did some Googling and found that dangerous blue-green algae (actually a bacteria called Cyanobacteria) blooms occur in this area, and I guess all over, typically from June through September. This algae can be especially dangerous for pets that swim in it. However, found a simple blue-green algae test, but also want to know if anyone has run across this stuff in their travels.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Every summer, most of Alberta gets it. Shallow lakes, and long days mean the water gets to optimum temperature quickly. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

7 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Every summer, most of Alberta gets it. Shallow lakes, and long days mean the water gets to optimum temperature quickly. 

Here it's the runoff of all the chemicals people put on their lawns to try to make them perfect which contributes to the green growth. Our nature preserve looks less preserved every year as they build more housing near there.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van