Good bye Direct TV satellite service

They are still trying to hang on to the old "channel" and time based models, which are dead.  With Apple now launching their own service, the might of Netflix and Amazon already there, the entire concept is dying quickly.  I have no desire to "watch CBS" or anything like that, and I'm not interested in watching anything live or on a schedule.  Younger generations are even more finicky.  The entire way of consuming media is changing, and these companies are fighting to keep the old way.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/18/2019 at 6:24 AM, edatlanta said:

I have two dishes that I use.  One is permanently mounted at my home base and I have NEVER had to re-aim it in 9 years.  My other dish is mounted on a tripod when away from my home base and I NEVER have to re-aim it after the initial setup unless something hits it or other external situation that moves it.  It has been the same location for up to a year at a time.

Hello Ed,

Peggy and I are getting ready to become full-time. We drive to FL (from VT) to pick up our Class A motorhome. Four years ago we had a DISH Hopper and it was a pain in the neck. The Tiffin Coach has a mounted satellite dish and I think the previous owner used DIRECT TV as the provider and he told me he chose that service because that is what he has in his house. He did say, he would probably switch to DISH . So I have two questions: (1) what service have you and do you use (e.g. DISH or DIRECT) and do you recommend that I buy a tripod and a second DISH. We are both TV-junkies, but painfully recall what a PIA this is. Frankly I don't look forward to the hassle. Further, don't most RV resorts and campgrounds have CATV?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

10 hours ago, Tim and Peggy said:

Hello Ed,

Peggy and I are getting ready to become full-time. We drive to FL (from VT) to pick up our Class A motorhome. Four years ago we had a DISH Hopper and it was a pain in the neck. The Tiffin Coach has a mounted satellite dish and I think the previous owner used DIRECT TV as the provider and he told me he chose that service because that is what he has in his house. He did say, he would probably switch to DISH . So I have two questions: (1) what service have you and do you use (e.g. DISH or DIRECT) and do you recommend that I buy a tripod and a second DISH. We are both TV-junkies, but painfully recall what a PIA this is. Frankly I don't look forward to the hassle. Further, don't most RV resorts and campgrounds have CATV?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I have had DirecTV since 1995 and since 2010 as an RV account when I retired and sold my house.  I have DNS and a Genie with wired Genie Mini in the bedroom.  All works great.  I do not recommend a roof mounted antenna due to obstructions in a lot of campgrounds/sites (I know others will disagree), but if you are a true "junkie" like I am you want your TV to work wherever you are.  I have a heavy duty tripod from www.tv4rv.com that has been working great for the past 9 years.  For me I don't have an expensive sat finder, I use the built in signal strength screen on the Genie and a wireless baby monitor.  Aim the monitor camera at the TV screen and take the wireless remote out to the dish.  The reason I like DNS is I always have my network channels on the same number.  When I get to a new site, set up the dish and within minutes my networks are up and running and all programs set to record are still ready to go.  Setting up and aiming the dish is very easy after you do it a few times.  The tripod I use makes it very easy, just be very precise when you set the tripod to make sure it is as level as you can get it.  

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

12 hours ago, edatlanta said:

I have had DirecTV since 1995 and since 2010 as an RV account when I retired and sold my house.  I have DNS and a Genie with wired Genie Mini in the bedroom.  All works great.  I do not recommend a roof mounted antenna due to obstructions in a lot of campgrounds/sites (I know others will disagree), but if you are a true "junkie" like I am you want your TV to work wherever you are.  I have a heavy duty tripod from www.tv4rv.com that has been working great for the past 9 years.  For me I don't have an expensive sat finder, I use the built in signal strength screen on the Genie and a wireless baby monitor.  Aim the monitor camera at the TV screen and take the wireless remote out to the dish.  The reason I like DNS is I always have my network channels on the same number.  When I get to a new site, set up the dish and within minutes my networks are up and running and all programs set to record are still ready to go.  Setting up and aiming the dish is very easy after you do it a few times.  The tripod I use makes it very easy, just be very precise when you set the tripod to make sure it is as level as you can get it.  

Ed,

Thanks. So the antenna on the roof (of the RV) is fine, but I agree with you about reception. In my prior RV I had a DISH HOPPER which may be the same as the Genie (same technology) but that was 4 years ago. I know some people love Direct TV and then there are the other folks that like Direct TV.  Thanks. Wish me luck.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:30 PM, Tim and Peggy said:

Ed,

I know some people love Direct TV and then there are the other folks that like Direct TV.  Thanks. Wish me luck.

I've had  Direct TV for a long time - not really sure which category I'm in ("people" or "folks")

can't say - I *love* Direct TV.......  But guess - I *like* Direct TV OK ......but moving to Dish (anyway).

BTW - Good luck!

As base services, both Dish and DirecTV deliver pretty decent satellite services.  There can be a forever argument about equipment each uses.  Today, I would make my decision on how the supplier has adapted to RVers.  DirecTV is on a strong path away from mobile RVers while Dish is adding functions designed for the mobile RVer.

As for a roof dish, for several years I only used a ground tripod.  The tripod was setup at every overnight stop.   Good tools make the setup of a ground tripod easy and relatively quick.  But having an automatic roof dish does make site setup a lot easier.  But we still carried a ground tripod.  We would ask for satellite friendly camp sites but it wasn't critical.  If the roof dish could not lock onto the satellites, we would just put up the tripod.  The tripod also allowed to choose between the two sets of Dish satellites when it was beneficial to us.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com