Good bye Direct TV satellite service

Obviously you are always near larger cities.  Try being in Birch Bay, WA, or Monroe, WA, or at the Timber Valley Co-OP in Sutherlin, OR, or .....

I would love to be able to stream - but in reality it just isn't possible to be sure that you have that ability all of the time.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, we still have our reciever and portable dish. We are on pay as you go anyway. But ever since we got the Verzion pre pay we been streaming. And most times we are near major cities due to my work. We like streaming much better also. So much better selection. And verses cost, it is less money. We saving $100 or better a month streaming. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Not so.....I’ve been in extreme remote areas and with a cellular booster and high gain yagi antenna I’ve never not had service with one of my hotspots....Tmobile, AT&T or Verizon......yup, you got to have choices in provider

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

I'm guessing you don't boondock far off highways in the West.  I'm less than 30 minutes away from areas with absolutely no service on any carrier.  For those trips we download at home to play later.  Saves on the cell usage too.

Just got back from a week in SE Utah. My Verizon phone displayed this big capital R where it should say 4g, and a capital H above the two little arrows that flash when you're actually getting data. A dire warning comes up and tells me I'm roaming, and  I'll be billed through the roof for every megabyte of data I use. 

Soo.. I knew roaming applied to foreign countries, but not the continental US.  I texted Verizon and was told no, I won't be charged for that.  I better not be.  Then why do they still display these ominous warnings??? It's not like I'm on the Mexican border picking up a tower in Juarez.  Who's supplying the roaming service?

R means roaming, but I never did figure out what the H was.  The hotspot wouldn't work, I had to use my phone.  Very slow on any kind of videos.  Definitely no streaming.  I need my  dish!!

Edited by hemsteadc

The roaming "warning" is provided by the phone as a user protection feature.  The phone doesn't really know your carrier's policies.  It used to be that rural carriers would rape roaming users with charges over $1 per minute.  So phones had to be able to warn you.  Currently, I believe all Verizon plans have free roaming, though they will cancel you if you roam excessively and constantly.

Lack of a good connection is common all over the West.  We always download a bunch of TV shows and movies to the devices before leaving.  If streaming breaks, we watch the stuff that's local on the computers/tablets.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 7:36 AM, Garrygb said:

Im use eyeride tv 1 year purchased on https://www.eyerideonline.com/

That is a professional limo and passenger bus system. Not very feasible for RV'ers. Of coourse if you can afford the 2 million dollar RV's in your other thread, then maybe you can afford this. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Yeah, I thought it was funny that it was followed with "no need to install the expensive car GPS navigation system."  Sure, if you install a very expensive huge system, you don't have to spend MORE money.  LOL.  Meanwhile, the normally-priced Alpine head unit in the tow vehicle does all that also.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just went  full tme RV a month ago and getting lots of emails from Dish wanting my business and offering deals on their new products with Wally receivers? Nothing from Direct so which is better? I guess that will be a matter od personal preference....just trying to get a feel for the products? Will they install it? Mount on RV ?

Thanks for any advice!! 

Neither Dish nor DirecTv will install a rooftop dish on your RV. You can find an independent distributor who will. The most popular rooftop dish is the Traveler by Weinguard. There are two versions, one for Dish and one for Direct. They are both around $1,500. If you get the DirecTv version and later decide to switch to Dish there is a conversion kit for about $300. If you get the Dish model it can not be converted to Direct. You can also get a dish on a tripod but it will not automatically lock onto the satellites as the Travler will. Dish also has a few portabale automatic models, the Tailgator and the Pathway X2. As far as I know Direct does not have any portable automatic models. Both have about the same programming packages for about the same price. The main difference is the customer service and ease of changing locations for your local channels. Dish is better in both customer service and change of location. I believe Dish has a dedicated RV Department. Direct was just reciently merged with AT&T. They went from not so good to poor customer service and it takes a little effort to get a change of location from them. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

34 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Direct portable domes are not HD either

Once DirecTV converts to its "new" channel realignment, those portable domes will be able to receive HD channels.This should happen sometime in 2020.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

On 6/16/2019 at 5:51 PM, Chalkie said:

I'm sorry but I am not buying this. Bucket trucks for a satellite dish? Not seeing it in a rural area, big city maybe. Ladders and installers? OK, but most installers in rural areas are contractors, not direct satellite provider employees. We had a cabin in the mountains, pretty darned remote, and never had to have a dish realigned in over 12 years. My current home has had a dish installed on it for over 10 years with no alignment needed, nor have I ever seen the need at one of my neighbors. I think your argument is thin at best unless you can provide some hard evidence to back it up.

I agree.

docj, I've already heard a few references to AT&T satellite services since they bought DirectTV.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 8/16/2019 at 10:42 AM, Twotoes said:

ease of changing locations for your local channels

For the Retired Chief, If you're a fulltime RV'er you qualify for getting the national broadcast networks (ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX) from your SAT provider via DNS (distant network service). You do have to apply for it and show them your RV registration to prove that you're mobile. DNS eliminates the hassle of having to call in everytime you move to change service location. The only difference is, you 'll be getting the network shows fed from either the west coast or the east coast, and there is a small extra fee for DNS. When needed, you can find the local news & weather faster & easier on the internet.

Jim

4 hours ago, JRP said:

For the Retired Chief, If you're a fulltime RV'er you qualify for getting the national broadcast networks (ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX) from your SAT provider via DNS (distant network service). You do have to apply for it and show them your RV registration to prove that you're mobile. DNS eliminates the hassle of having to call in everytime you move to change service location. The only difference is, you 'll be getting the network shows fed from either the west coast or the east coast, and there is a small extra fee for DNS. When needed, you can find the local news & weather faster & easier on the internet.

Agreed.  I have had DNS for almost years and it works great.  With the current CBS situation my CBS feed changed from New York to Washington, DC, but I still have CBS.  And with DNS your network channels are always the same regardless of where you are.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

With our Dish "Outdoor" account, I can change the local stations to where we are with just a few taps on the MyDish app on my phone. No phone call, no chat, just taps...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

With my DISH "Outdoor" account, I can't change my locals on the MyDish app.  However, it doesn't take but a few minutes in a Chat session to change them.

Yeah, the qualifications needed to use the app to change locals are still pretty fuzzy it seems.

Dutch

4 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

With our Dish "Outdoor" account, I can change the local stations to where we are with just a few taps on the MyDish app on my phone. No phone call, no chat, just taps...

That's very nice.  I'm still with DTV after about 20 years, and it's getting more and more frustrating now that ATT bought them.  I've tried texting for services, but those clerks only seem to know how to sell things.  They ask ridiculous questions which indicates they don't know their systems very well.  When you call on the phone, you never know what rules that person is going by. With all the competition they're seeing, you'd think they'd be trying to make things easier.  Heck, maybe even they are giving up on satellite in favor of streaming. 

Having an app to change locals, priceless.  (Although I've avoided that by having a service address of Los Angeles.) 

Edited by hemsteadc

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

No "Maybe" about it, AT&T is clearly making a push to move their satellite and U-Verse subscribers to streaming.

I agree Dutch, but the high pricing they set for their newest streaming service is about the same ballpark as their full Sat TV pricing, . At $100-$130 /mon (after the temp discount) plus broadband costs, I don't see them convincing many to switch.

They're losing a million subscribers a quarter and seem to be in a scramble to retain revenue. Even their orig DTV Now, re-branded as ATT TV Now, is losing subscribers after a price increase.

Jim

1 minute ago, JRP said:

I agree Dutch, but the high pricing they set for their newest streaming service is about the same ballpark as their full Sat TV pricing, . At $100-$130 /mon (after the temp discount) plus broadband costs, I don't see them convincing many to switch.

They're losing a million subscribers a quarter and seem to be in a scramble to retain revenue. Even their orig DTV Now, re-branded as ATT TV Now, is losing subscribers after a price increase.

Oh I agree their marketing and pricing seem to be at odds with gaining subscribers, but they've been pretty open about their goal.

Dutch