Alternator Problems

Sparky242

Hi everyone    I have a 2000 VNL 610 with a Detroit S60 engine and the alternator was not putting out any voltage so I ordered a new alternator and installed it and connected it the same way as the old one and the new alternator is putting out 16.8 volts.  Is there an adjustment I need to make or am I missing something,  I believe it has an internal regulator but not 100% sure     Thanks for any ideas  Stan

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

Is the sense wire connected and if so is the connection good?      The voltage you are reading is from where to where?      

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Sounds like the new one has a battery sense terminal that needs connected. If it isn't connected to the battery to read its condition, it'll typically run wide open. Check the literature that came with the new alternator. If that's the case, you can run a dedicated line to the batteries, which is optimal, or you can just run a jumper to the positive terminal. Either way, there should be a fuse in the line. Jay

Would the battery sensing wire go to the 4th terminal?   there was no wire on terminal 4 on the original alt just a big positive wire, a small wire(I think that goes to the interment cluster but maybe not) and a big negative wire to the frame of the alt.     I measured the voltage at the batteries and at the alt and both said 16.8   The small wire also had 16.8 volts.      the gauge said 14.3 when I started the truck. I got out to look everything over and when I got back in the truck the gauge said 16.8     There was no information in the box and the auto parts store took the box for the core

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

When I replaced mine it had the sensor wire stud also. It was not hooked up when I replaced it and was burnt off. Someone had put it on wrong terminal at battery. Replaced ring on wire and connected it. It would charge high like yours until I connected that sensor wire. Got my alternator from O Rileys.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

4 hours ago, Sparky242 said:

Would the battery sensing wire go to the 4th terminal?   there was no wire on terminal 4 on the original alt just a big positive wire, a small wire(I think that goes to the interment cluster but maybe not) and a big negative wire to the frame of the alt.     I measured the voltage at the batteries and at the alt and both said 16.8   The small wire also had 16.8 volts.      the gauge said 14.3 when I started the truck. I got out to look everything over and when I got back in the truck the gauge said 16.8     There was no information in the box and the auto parts store took the box for the core

The original alternator may well have not had the sense terminal. Mine didn't until a replacement about ten years ago. If you can share the info about the alternator, I imagine we'll be able to find out which terminal is which. Hard to say without knowing specifics. You don't want to run voltage that high for long, or you'll fry the batteries. Jay

I believe the Delco-Remey  alt that was on the truck was possibly the original alt, there are three terminals on the new Wilson alt just like the old one,  one big one for the positive wire and two small terminals next to the positive terminal. A small wire is connected to the terminal farthest from the positive terminal , the middle terminal was not used.   The ground wire is connected to the alt frame.    I think the middle terminal might be for a battery sensing wire but I don't want to connect it until I know for sure.    I think the Delco may have had an internal battery sensing connection. 

Thanks Stan

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

1 minute ago, Sparky242 said:

I believe the Delco-Remey  alt that was on the truck was possibly the original alt, there are three terminals on the new Wilson alt just like the old one,  one big one for the positive wire and two small terminals next to the positive terminal. A small wire is connected to the terminal farthest from the positive terminal , the middle terminal was not used.   The ground wire is connected to the alt frame.    I think the middle terminal might be for a battery sensing wire but I don't want to connect it until I know for sure.    I think the Delco may have had an internal battery sensing connection. 

Thanks Stan

If you look up the model number at Delco, it'll give you the details for connecting it. Jay

The sense wire goes to the far terminal,

Here is a link to answer some questions   http://www.delcoremy.com/Documents/Alternator-Instruction-Sheets/INSTALLATION-INSTRUCTIONS-33SI,-34SI,-35SI-36SI

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

• 2 weeks later...

Update   the alternator was bad, exchanged it for another new one, wired it the same way and it works great.   so what I had was three wires a big positive wire a big negative wire and a small wire with the #14 on it connected to the I terminal, traced it out and it went to the gauge cluster   Thank You for all you ideas    Stan

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

Where did you source the bad alternator?  I've had bad experience with rebuilds from the discount auto stores (Auto Zone, O'Reilley's,  Advance, etc.

I once drove 50 miles to put a rebuild on daugher's car, late on a Sunday night, in blowing snow, only to have the "new" unit go up in smoke within 30 seconds of start-up.  Had to squeeze 5 college girls, plus wife and myself, in our crew cab.  Took the offending piece back and got one from a source I trust.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net