A question about Escapees parks

kb0zke

Someone posted a rant on another forum about their experience at an Escapees park. I'm not going to give any other identifying information, as I encouraged them to share their experience with the good people in Livingston. Their experience got me to thinking about the differences we've encountered at the Parks we've visited.

I know that the Co-ops are not owned or run by Escapees, but that they got their start from the club, and that each co-op has individual rules, with some pretty much as standard (must be a current Escapees member, at least one person must be over 55, etc.). I know that some, but not all, Parks offer long-term leases (ERPU).

The ERPU sites, as I understand them, require an up-front lease payment and an annual maintenance fee. The initial lease period is five years, and can be extended as often as desired. When the site is no longer wanted, the initial lease payment is then refunded. I've heard that some Parks offer annual rates, but there is NO return of any payment. True? If so, does that annual lease allow the leaseholder to put up their own shed, build a dog run, etc.?

Every park we've been at, whether COE, State park, or commercial park, required pet owners to keep pets on a leash and not leave them outside unattended. We've seen examples of people who obey the letter of the law (the dog is on a leash) but not obeying the spirit of the law (the leash is an extendable one, so the dog is really allowed to run free over a circle with a radius equal to the length of the cord in the leash). Some parks seem to do a better job of enforcing a leash length than others.

One time a manager of an Escapees Park told me that the managers are trained to be managers, and can go from one park to another, but are expected to stay at one park for at least several months at a time. Some managers, apparently, work certain months at "their" park, then spend the rest of the year doing something else, while someone else is the manager. Is that manager training done in Livingston, or by a manager at a park?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I would think the question about being trained and rules might be best coming from the home Escapees office, as they would know best. I have stayed in 3 parks so far. Everyone has been very friendly, no dogs running around or tied up. It honestly felt more like a community then a regular RV park.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

12 hours ago, kb0zke said:

know that the Co-ops are not owned or run by Escapees, but that they got their start from the club, and that each co-op has individual rules, with some pretty much as standard (must be a current Escapees member, at least one person must be over 55, etc.). I know that some, but not all, Parks offer long-term leases (ERPU).

You can get accurate information if you visit the Escapees Rainbow Parks page. Only 3 of the 7 Rainbow Parks have that program and they are Rainbow’s End in Livingston, Texas; Sumter Oaks in Bushnell, Florida; and Rainbow Plantation in Summerdale, Alabama.

For accurate information about the co-op parks, visit SKP Co-op Parks page to get general imformation but specifics will need to be gotten from each park. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I reached out to our parks management team to make sure I had my information correct before sharing it:

Rainbow Parks managers are promoted not hired.  They are trained by our in-house trainer after they have worked as a host and or workcamper.

Regarding the leash issues- my suggestion is that you speak with an on-site park staff member when you encounter that problem. It is much more effective to address the individual situation than to issue a blanket statement to all parks and park guests. As you pointed out, many follow the rules as expected. Also, people don't always realize they're pushing the limits of the rules and as such, assume that general reminders don't actually apply to them (since they don't think they're breaking a rule).

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:40 AM, Kirk W said:

Only 3 of the 7 Rainbow Parks have that program and they are Rainbow’s End in Livingston, Texas; Sumter Oaks in Bushnell, Florida; and Rainbow Plantation in Summerdale, Alabama.

The Rainbow Park in Deming, NM used to have ERPU sites.  Do you know why they no longer do?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

3 hours ago, LindaH said:

Do you know why they no longer do?

I have no idea. If you want one you might contact the Dream Catcher RV Park and ask them. The web does show them as having leases available but their page doesn't show any rates for a lease. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I was told some time ago (like years) when inquiring, Dream Catcher would no longer offer ERPU sites.  I thought this was very unfortunate.  I didn't ask for an explanation, but it would be nice if this feature was added to other parks.  

I do know that with the co-ops, some have info on their individual websites, and in the case of "The Ranch", they sent me copies of two things, can't remember what they were called, but describing how everything worked as far as becoming a lease holder, and the other was the rules of the park.

I can tell you with over 30 years of RVing, dog owners are only getting to be more of a pain, and I say that being an owner.  Most park managers like to avoid confrontation on most issues anymore, just like with the rest of life these days.   I can also say that over the time we have been RVing, people have not become more respectful of others.

It can help to explain that most areas have coyotes, hawks, owls and/or snakes, and I have seen more than one complaint concerning "Fifi" disappearing from the end of one of those long reel out leashes, and I suspect we'll hear about it happening with some of those flimsy portable fences.

I would be very careful about getting locked into an RV park without being really familiar with it.  Just because they have rules, it does not mean that they will be enforced.

Cathy