Would You Camp on Padre Islands, TX w/Class A?

NA8M

Would it be a good idea to boondock on either of the Padre Islands National Seashore "campsites" in a Class A?  I'm looking forward to an extended stay in Texas this coming winter.  Don't want to have to call a tow truck.  

A few years ago (ten?  whew time flies) we tent camped on Mustang Island (further north along the barrier islands off Corpus Christi, TX.  Of course that was fine because we were just a pickup truck.

Thanks for your opinions.

Bill, NA8M

While I wouldn't do it, there are many class A owners who do so. I am pretty conservative when it comes to getting stuck. 😏 The other issue for me if staying for an extended time would be the constant exposure to salt air and sifting sand.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That's my opinion, too. We visited Corpus Christi a few years ago and drove the Jeep out on the beach a bit just so I could exercise the 4WD. Our MH was parked several miles away, so we didn't worry too much about the salt air since we weren't going to be there very long. We were advised to take the Jeep to a good car wash that would spray off the underside of the car.

We were told that if a tow truck had to get you from the beach it was considered a retrieval, not a tow, and the fees were astronomical. There are some boondocking sites near the National Seashore office. There may be a small fee for their use, but it would be FAR less than the cost of a retrieval from the beach.

You might also check into time limits. I'm not sure how long you can stay there, but few places allow more than two weeks.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

There are two "campsites" at PINS, but you seem to be talking about the beach.  Follow the road to the end and you'll be on the beach - 60 miles of it.  The first five miles are generally good driving, (beyond that you'll need 4wd) but small soft spots can be created by the wind.  I've never seen anyone stuck in the sand in the first five miles.  Watch where others are driving and don't get to slow and you'll be just fine.  We've been camping at PINS for 30 plus years and the only problems we've seen have been people who didn't pay attention to the tide or just parked to close.  It is tempting to get close to the water because the sand is hard packed, but that's where you'll get in trouble.  Be sure to review the beach driving page on their website.  We've kind of given up on beach camping because of the volume of traffic and to many idiots.  Generally, the tide doesn't come up very far and leaves plenty of room to drive, but be aware that a couple of times a year an exceptionally high tide will come all the way up to the dunes.

As for campsites, there are 48 no hookup sites with flush toilets and cold water showers available.  Using these sites, you never have to get off the pavement.  Some people were abusing the stay limits and this year they reduced it to (I think) 14 days camping, then 14 days out with 28 days/year total.  I think it is $14/night full price plus the ($10? entrance fee).  These sites sit back in the dunes on the gulf side of the island.  Cell service is pretty spotty unless you have a TALL antenna and booster.

On the other side of the island is Bird Island.  Hard surface road then gravel for parking along the shoreline.  No designated campsites, but you just back up to the water.  No surf on this side of the island and it is great for paddleboarding and kite surfing.

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

Thank you so much for your comments.  We will be in Texas this coming winter and Corpus Christi is certainly a city we will want to visit.  Four years of my childhood were pleasant memories so very long ago.  

I will be diligent about the conditions.  And I will be mindful of retrieval vs tow.  Important tips.

I appreciate your suggestions.  I am glad there are a few months to mull over these thoughts.

Bill, NA8M

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

It has been several years since we visited, but in the Corpus Christi area our favorite place to stay was Mustang Island SP. Check them out as the recent hurricanes may have changed that.

The campground at Mustang Island is closed. 

14 hours ago, Hill_Country said:

On the other side of the island is Bird Island.  Hard surface road then gravel for parking along the shoreline.  No designated campsites, but you just back up to the water.  No surf on this side of the island and it is great for paddleboarding and kite surfing.

There are designated sites at Bird Island.  They are very very narrow; our motorhome with slides extended completely filled the space side-to-side.

Kiteboarding is not allowed there.

20 hours ago, NA8M said:

Would it be a good idea to boondock on either of the Padre Islands National Seashore "campsites" in a Class A?  I'm looking forward to an extended stay in Texas this coming winter.  Don't want to have to call a tow truck. 

Like Kirk, I'd be very concerned about the salt air down there.  It's heavy and oppressive on its own, and the incessant wind pushes it into every nook and cranny and corrodes everything alarmingly quickly.  I swear I've seen plastic rust down there.

I personally do not like spending that much time that close to salt water.  The salt in the air is hard on the RV...anything metal will corrode or rust.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I think driving on the sand is more of a problem than the salt air, but rust is certainly something to think about.  To put it in context, though, rustwise, I'd rather spend a winter on the beach than a winter up North.  We've been going there for years and only suffered a little bit of a problem on a few things that would probably rust anywhere they are left out in the weather.  Keep in mind that there are large towns and cities near the sea and people survive.

We're just back from a couple of weeks at NAS Corpus Christi where we were parked within 100' of the bay - closer to salt water than the PINS campground and I haven't noticed any rust on anything.  For us, the wind can be more of a problem than salt.  If it is blowing >20 mph it just beats you to death and takes all the fun out of a stay.  Near the beach and you get sandblasted.

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

hillcountry, I agree beach sand contains a lot of salt, and it gets EVERYWHERE!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If you stay at Padre Island National Seashore and follow their instructions/directions you won't get stuck.  Hard sand to drive on.  Do watch how far you back up or drive towards the sand dunes.  The farther away from the water you go the softer the sand becomes.  

I wouldn't spend more than a few days on the beach because of the salt spray.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We have volunteered at Goose Island State Park as well as Laguna Atascosa NWR.  In both cases our sites were not immediately adjacent to water, but were within a half-mile of the sea. With the winter winds in those areas the salt spray carries a surprising distance, and our bikes really took a hit regarding rust.   The hosts that we worked with who actually hosted on the bayside area of Goose Island has salt spray driven directly onto their rigs and suffered some significant rust damage. 

Salt spray is no joke when it comes to corrosion of vehicles. The car washes along the coast do a very good business for that reason!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels