TT or 5th wheel?

I'm in the process of doing research in preparation for selling my 24' TT and upgrading to a larger trailer for our year on the road.  There will be three of us on the road trip and I'm looking for more room for us.  I'm going to upgrade to a 3/4 or one ton diesel truck. My plan is to see most of the US during our year on the road.  I'm looking at a TT approx 34' and GVWR approx 10K or a 30' - 33' 5th wheel toy box with GVWR approx 13K.  With the TT I will be carrying a 530lbs MC in the bed of the truck. With the 5th wheel the MC will be inside the toy box.  I have never towed a 5th wheel my question is what would perform better on the road i.e. easier to tow?  The longer lighter TT or the slightly shorter and heavier 5th wheel?   

Thanks

A 5th wheel tows better and with the sizes you are looking at, it should park easier to as the 5th wheel and your truck should be about 8’ shorter in overall length.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Some things to think about. For a fifth wheel, a dual rear wheel truck will provide the most stability towing which means you will be looking for a one ton truck. With a long travel trailer, the longer the tow vehicle wheelbase, the better it will tow. Here is an article about the relationship between wheelbase and towing stability. With a long travel trailer, you will want a good sway control hitch.  The fifth wheel will be taller and have interior steps. With a toy hauler, your motorcycle will be out of the weather while towing. Depending on the floorplan, a toy hauler can provide a separate room. There are toy hauler travel trailers. You can put a cap on the pickup, but it may make it more difficult to load the motorcycle. Good luck finding the right RV for you!

Edited by trailertraveler

If it were me doing what you suggest, I would choose the fifth wheel. If I am reading your post correctly, you already have chosen what fifth wheel or travel trailer you want so make and model are not at issue?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A won-ton dually is very stabil and worth it.  Mine holds the road quite well when being passed by big trucks and with side/front/rear heavy winds.  A 5th wheel RV is more stabil if moving/pulling a lot.  I would not rule out a little bigger camper to get a toy hauler with separate garage, you can put a lot more back there than your motorcycle.  Measure your motobike, you more than likely can get away with a garage of 10ft putting you down to a 37/38 foot camper and with it being a 5th wheel, it will pull like a shorter TT without the wind/tail wagging inherent with a TT.

Whatever you decide on, watch truck and RV weight limits.  Some of these toy haulers are crazy heavy and surpass my 3500 DRW manufacturer weight limits.  The real weight factor is what the wheels/tires are rated for and what the brakes are capable of handling.  Just my 2-cents worth as I see you are experienced in hauling a TT.

IMHO

edit:  With a toy hauler, you can get a drop down bed making it also a separate bedroom for that 3rd person, some have a toilet/sink for 2nd bathroom in the garage with washer/dryer connections.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

We have had 4TT's and are now on our 2nd 5th wheel. We had  TT's ranging from 22 feet to 30 feet  when we were both working and primarily week end RV'ers with may be a week vacation. We pulled the TT's with a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton  gas truck. We consider that low end use.

We both retired and our goal was to see the USA.  By this time we had a feel for travel in a RV. We had taken a 3 week trip in out last TT , no slides and were constantly in one another's way and being blown around by the big trucks was no fun.

We purchase the biggest truck and 5th wheel Rv we could afford for our new travels. The truck was a one ton, Long bed, Crew cab,Dually diesel. The RV was a 40 foot, 4 slide @ 16K GVW  5th wheel. We are now on our second truck and second 5th wheel same configuration 14 years and over 130K of travel

For this kind of travel the dually  diesel is a very good choice. We spend a lot of time in the 5th wheel so " as big as we could afford" was also a very good choice.

We normally do not exceed 300 miles a day travel and stability is very important.  Backing is also easier with a 5th wheel.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I wouldn't worry about it.  For many years I towed a 12k trailer and occasionally a 16k trailer with a 2005 Ram diesel 2500.  I loved it, zero stability issues.  Recently a neighbor was shopping for trailers to tow with his 2016 Ram 2500, and was sure he "needed" a fifth wheel.  I suggested that he consider both types, and base it on the deal/amenities.  He found a great deal on a new TT that was perfect for his family, and not available as a fifth wheel, so he did it.  He's 100% happy after well over 10k miles all over the country.  I also wouldn't do a dually or full ton unless I was hauling a heavily loaded rig like a toy hauler.

Focus on getting what you want.