chief916

Solar panels and charger

19 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

I know people that are very, very happy with eco-worthy and Renogy suitcase solar kits. Every thing you need in one folding package, and with today's technology you couldn't go wrong as far as quality. The kit contains the solar charger mated to the panel and is readable when the kit is deployed. Using the port that your trailer has it is simply plug and play. Amazon has sales periodically even though the current prices are not bad, always good to know you got a deal though. Though much information has been shared, seems we took a roundabout way to answer your initial question both here and in the travel trailer section :D sorry

No need for apologies....I'm just thankful that everyone has taken some of their time to educate me on these things and for that I say thank you.

Going to go on line and check out these folding packages.

Ben...chief916

On 6/11/2019 at 11:20 AM, Jack Mayer said:

This is not a simple topic. Asking broad general questions will likely not elicit the help you need. Look for some background educational material. My website has some - but then goes into more complex nuances of solar and electrical. I'd recommend skipping that part.  But the basics are there and it "should" help you to know what to look for. It is a START....not the end of education. The alternative to doing it yourself is to take it to someone...but it is best if you understand the basics....because there are not many good installers out there. More than in the past, but it is still not a "commodity" that "anyone" can handle well. Look in my signature line for the link to our personal website.

Jack...could you please send me your website address.

Thank you

Ben...chief916

On 6/17/2019 at 10:04 AM, jpatrickc said:

Jack's website is listed at the bottom of his post in his signature.

Ok... thank you.

You mentioned you might like a small solar setup to charge your 1 battery.  You could buy a cheap controller and a 100 watt or maybe up to 140 watt panel that would supply maybe 10 amps under ideal conditions.  Rarely will ideal conditions exist.  This would give power enough to run a few lights and the water pump but that is about all.  Parts could be purchased for around $200 if you shop around.  If you decide to go with a bigger system later it is often better to just start over.  The controller will be limited to the single panel and mixing panels has it's own problems.  Larger systems also require bigger wire and generally require rewiring as the factory wiring isn't near adequate.