Tell us about your voting patterns?

Fulltimer voting patterns  

32 members have voted

1. 1. As a fulltim RVer who uses a mail service address on my voter registration, which 1 of the following choices most closely fits your pattern of voting?

• I always vote in every election, either absentee or in person when passing through.
    • I always vote in each election but do not vote for local office holders or bond issues.
    • I always vote but only for federal offices.
    • I usually vote in each election and on all offices and issues.
    • I seldom vote unless it is a presidential election.
    • I don't usually bother to vote.
    • I usually vote in each election for federal and state offices & issues only.
    • I have not voted in any election in the past 4 years or since going fulltime(if less than 5 years).
    • I do not fit into any of the choices listed.

A thread in the "Health Issues & Medical Insurance" forum got me to thinking about the issue of voting as it applies to fulltimers who own no property in the location that they are registered to vote and how the domicile of fulltimers impacts the outcome of the elections where we maintain our addresses. I will try to make as inclusive a poll as I can and I also ask that we be completely honest since this is totally anonymous as to who says what. Please respond only as you do while fulltime or if you used to be fulltime but no longer do so, feel free to respond with an accurate indication of what you did when you were fulltime. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Not truly related to the poll, as we still own property in our domicile, and spend around 6 months of the year here. We stay abreast of local issues, and vote with an informed mind. The only one I'm torn on, is for school boards, as we don't have kids or grand-kids in schools. We try to make it a point to talk to people with families, to give us at least an idea of the issues, and listen to the candidates at open forums. If I don't feel I have a handle on the situation, I will abstain.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I always vote. It is our duty as an American. I try to go online and research all the candidates, and issues so I can make an educated choice even tho I do not have a physical presence in my domicle. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

We vote in nearly every election, including for local offices and proposals/bonds. We feel that we should vote on the local issues, since our "exit plan" cottage and our mail service are in the same voting district.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We always vote, and of course we are currently full timers.  Since your polling is only for folks that use a paid mail service I am guessing it has more to do with that rather than any type of information about voting.  Anyway, we couldn't answer because we don't utilize a paid mail service.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We are long timers not full timers as we have our S&B although we are rarely there when it comes time to vote. We have not missed a vote at any level  in over 50 years.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

It seems that I didn't explain the intent as well as I should. The poll idea came out of the discussion of voting while using a mail service as your domiciles, such as is common for TX, SD, and FL. It comes out of the current review of related laws in FL. That same issue has popped up at times in SD and there was a major lawsuit over it in TX 20 years ago followed by legislative action on the issue to resolve it. Local residents tend to bring the issue up in areas where there are large numbers of fulltimers (either RV or boat) who in many cases have never actually resided in the state of domicile. The intention of the poll was to get some feel for how many fulltimers do vote in those locations and if they vote on local issues. For many years the Escapees have encouraged the members to vote, but not to do so on local issues or offices. On a statewide election, I rather doubt that we make that major an effect on the results but in local jurisdictions, we could cause a major shift in political majorities. I have no idea the numbers of votes involved in other areas, but the Escapee's mail service has more than 15k active addresses and I suspect that enough of those have 2 voters to make that account for a potential 20 - 30k of votes. In an area like Polk Co. TX, that can completely change the outcome of local elections, which is the primary concern expressed by most of the local folks who challenge it. 

Edited by Kirk W

When we were South Dakota "residents" we only voted on national issues. We simply didn't know enough to vote on local issues. But your poll only gave that option if you voted in every election which we didn't.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

But your poll only gave that option if you voted in every election which we didn't.

It is impossible to create a poll that has every possible choice covered exactly, but....

I always vote in each election but do not vote for local office holders or bond issues.

2 hours ago,  sandsys said: 

But your poll only gave that option if you voted in every election which we didn't.

It is impossible to create a poll that has every possible choice covered exactly, but....

I always vote in each election but do not vote for local office holders or bond issues.

That's what i said: Your only option for not voting on local issues required you to vote in every election. Since we did the first but not the second I felt it only right to choose none of the above. I agree that it is very had to create a poll with all the options but isn't that why you included a none of the above? Why do I feel you are taking me to task for choosing it?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

16 hours ago, sandsys said:

Why do I feel you are taking me to task for choosing it?

I have no idea.....   It was only an attempt to get an idea of how much impact fulltimers have on the elections in communities that are home to an RV mail service. There was no expectation of scientific accuracy, only general information. Perhaps I need to close the poll?

Edited by Kirk W

My understanding the current issue in FL is not just voting but allocation of money in the counties based on the number of residents.  A local county to where mail services are located are saying the county is getting money for residents that spend no time in that county

On 6/11/2019 at 3:05 PM, trostberg said:

My understanding the current issue in FL is not just voting but allocation of money 

This makes sense, and could be a precursor to litigation similar to what occurred in Texas some years back. This may also relate to the open arms of South Dakota regarding full time RVers. There was a time when I considered the House of Representatives might also be a factor but apparently the RV population hasn't had an effect in this matter as South Dakota still has only one Representative, as per the list here https://www.britannica.com/topic/House-of-Representatives-United-States-government

Spot

Edited by $Spot

If the issue was federal money then they should want as many fulltimers as possible. If the concern is local control, they probably don't want fulltimers there. Of course there are probably those who want as many of us as possible to be counted by the census takers but not allow any of us to vote there.  😁