Purchasing Fuel

bigredhdt

1 hour ago, adept99 said:

When we are traveling, I avoid the big 3 fuel stations like the plague. A few cents difference wouldn't bother me, but the $0.25 to $0.40 cent difference just screams "pay off the fines" money to me. So we stick to smaller dealers, DW hotfoots it into the fuel desk, gives them a deposit on whatever card we're using, I fill'er up, DW goes & closes out the fuel ticket, and off we go like a herd 'o turtles. With a built in discount.

Same here PLUS I use one of our regular credit cards which gives me 10% off ALL service stations, restaurants, and grocery stores and play it off when billed.

1 hour ago, adept99 said:

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

19 minutes ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

Same here PLUS I use one of our regular credit cards which gives me 10% off ALL service stations, restaurants, and grocery stores and play it off when billed.

What card gives you 10% off?  Inquiring minds want to know.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Like many others we have found stations along the highways off the interstates significantly cheaper than J/Pilot, Loves, TA.

However, I always worry about fuel quality.  I have heard stories of water or gasoline being added to the tanks, fuel sitting in the tanks to long, pumping sludge from the bottom of their tanks etc.

Been told by a couple mechanics it is better to buy from the big boys than smaller stations because their fuel turns faster and is fresh. 

What are your thoughts?

If the station is in a well populated area it should be ok, but I have seen some out in the middle of nowhere and I would avoid it for fear of old fuel. The fuel price might be cheeper but the cost to repair my diesel pusher would exceed the savings.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

We avoid truck stops. I can only think of going to a truck stop once with the HDT. The price on the big sign was a lie. Usually find a smaller station to get fuel and normally for a decent discount compared to the big boys after they add in the non advertised taxes.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Check your local grocer as well. In the East, Publix often has a $50 gas gift card that can be purchased for $40 when you purchase $50 dollars worth of groceries.  Very hard to beat 20% off.  Two different stations have agreements right now, Racetrac and Marathon.

We buy a card for each $50 spent so $150 trip to Publix nets us three cards for $120.

We buy the cards throughout the year, to ease the blow of the cost of fuel during summer travels.

We will be heading to SW Colorado on Thursday morning for 10 days, than on to SW South Dakota for ten.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 6/17/2019 at 3:55 PM, lockmup68 said:

and the GasBuddy app on your phone is your friend.

It will sure save $$ fast. And always finds the smaller stations. I for one will not buy fuel at the Flying J or Pilot. There prices are jacked up around here. Sad station across the road is .40 cents cheaper.

But then again the Big trucking company's gets around .65 cents per gallon off there.

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

We have found that the fuel prices with big three on the interstate exits were as much as $0.60/gal higher than local stations maybe a mile away. In the Portsmouth, NH area the TA was $3.15/gal versus the Shell station on the RT 1 bypass at $2.85/gal. Thank you Gas Buddy.

That was our highest price for fuel since leaving South Texas in late April.  We used to fuel almost exclusively at Flying J. Haven't used them in the last three years as their prices are ridiculous.

I do provide prices to the Gas Buddy but am not a member.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg