Jump to content
Concetta

Looking for an automated safety hitch

Recommended Posts

I have a question for you, you mention your tow capacity and you know the ballpark figure on the camper  you wan,t now with the ASH is the weight of that unit figured into your tow capacity as well? So the ASH and the camper equals your combined total weight being towed, I just don't know and am curios. Good luck on your choice and hope it all works out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dblr said:

I have a question for you, you mention your tow capacity and you know the ballpark figure on the camper  you wan,t now with the ASH is the weight of that unit figured into your tow capacity as well? So the ASH and the camper equals your combined total weight being towed, I just don't know and am curios. Good luck on your choice and hope it all works out for you.

If you are towing it, it is part of your gross combined towing weight....loaded truck plus loaded trailer plus safety hitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, my dog has taken a serious turn for the worse... possible brain tumor. I am focused on him right now and will answer questions once things have calmed down here. Thanks for all of your help!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May not be ideal for every truck/trailer combination, but works great for my needs:

- 2013 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins with 4" suspension lift and 35" tire package (single rear wheels, not a dually)

- 2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL - 16,000# GVWR, 13,000# UVW

- Automated Safety Hitch 2 with reverse steering

Camper Rig.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, Concetta said:

Hi all, my dog has taken a serious turn for the worse... possible brain tumor. I am focused on him right now and will answer questions once things have calmed down here. Thanks for all of your help!!!

Sorry to hear about the illness of your dog.  We are BIG dog lovers.  If you are still interested in an Automated Safety Hitch I have one for sale.  We purchased the ASH about 3 years ago for use with our Montana fifth wheel.  The AHS was the best investment we made for towing our heavy 5th wheel.  However, about a year after buying the AHS we ended up parking the 5th wheel in an RV resort and we haven't moved it since.  We just decided and bought a motorhome so we will not be needing the AHS any longer.  The AHS has about 1,000 miles.  It is equipped with two winches, one is a recovery winch and the other is used to pull the AHS up to the truck for mounting. The tires look new and the paint job (black) is in excellent shape.  The unit is located in Lubbock, TX but I can deliver it within a reasonable distance.  You can email me: neelnc@hotmail.com, if you are interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 2:34 PM, Concetta said:

Hi all. Hope I’m posting this in the right place. Instead of having our truck lowered and getting smaller tires we want to get one of these. If anyone has one to sell please let me know!! Thanks for any and all help!!

I have one for sale.  I bought it in 2016, used it to zig zag coast to coast and then for personal reasons needed to strop traveling, so it only has 8,000 miles or so on it. It has some superficial rust because I live near the ocean, but is otherwise in fine shape. I loved it. Also , Joe, the manufacturer, provided excellent support, answering calls from remote locations.  I got it with the winch option, which allowed me to pull my RV out of some mud it was stuck in.  I'm in Northern California. 

safety hitch pic.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Concetta said:

Hi!!!  Wowzers what are the chances!! How much do you want for it?

See the advertisement on the same forum as this one.

Quote

 I'm in Northern California and happy to help figure out how to get it elsewhere.  Trying to sell it soon, as I'm moving to the Caribbean.  I paid around $12K new and will sell for best offer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! I’m in Northern California too. I’m in plumas county. I will ask my husband what he thinks we can afford and get right back to you. I’m working at a festival in my town right now so I apologize for the delayed responses. Thanks so much!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! So my husband said all we can afford right now is 4,000 to 5,000. We are not trying to low ball you and hope your not offended. We were gonna purchase another one but had to wait because of vehicle issues. Which we are still having. We were gonna wait a year or so and try to save for a new one. I completely understand if that’s too low. We might be able to come up with more but that won’t be for a little while. Let me know what you think. Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Automated Safety Hitch for sale. My tow vehicle was a 2016 2500HD with a 6” lift and 35” tires and towing a 43’ triple axel 5th wheel, I purchased it for several reasons first not enough bed clearance with the lift, so trailer could ride level (not transferring most of the weight to the back axle of trailer), additional axle with one ton hydraulic brakes for more stopping power, and truck could ride level no need to bag it plus the truck bed is free to use for anything else. I purchased my first one and used it about 5,000 miles. Liked it so much I worked a trade to upgrade to the triple play unit with reverse steering axle and all the whistles. I have used this unit about 9,000 miles for a total of 14,000 miles between both units. The current unit I have for sale is a triple play which means it can tow 5th wheel, gooseneck or conventional receiver hitch trailers. It has every option that was available some of which are 24k 5th wheel hitch (curt), BFG commercial truck tires including full size spare never used, two warn 8,000 lb winches (one for mating to truck the other for recovery if stuck or in bad position never needed to use the recovery winch), HD dana steerable axle (both forward and in reverse, automatically locks in place while at higher speeds)  I no longer need the unit and I am moving from Texas to Oregon (too much to move trying to down size for the move).

zz2.jpg

zzzz9.jpg

zzz1.jpg

zz6.jpg

zz5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DALLAS said:

I have a Automated Safety Hitch for sale. My tow vehicle was a 2016 2500HD with a 6” lift and 35” tires and towing a 43’ triple axel 5th wheel, I purchased it for several reasons first not enough bed clearance with the lift, so trailer could ride level (not transferring most of the weight to the back axle of trailer), additional axle with one ton hydraulic brakes for more stopping power, and truck could ride level no need to bag it plus the truck bed is free to use for anything else. I purchased my first one and used it about 5,000 miles. Liked it so much I worked a trade to upgrade to the triple play unit with reverse steering axle and all the whistles. I have used this unit about 9,000 miles for a total of 14,000 miles between both units. The current unit I have for sale is a triple play which means it can tow 5th wheel, gooseneck or conventional receiver hitch trailers. It has every option that was available some of which are 24k 5th wheel hitch (curt), BFG commercial truck tires including full size spare never used, two warn 8,000 lb winches (one for mating to truck the other for recovery if stuck or in bad position never needed to use the recovery winch), HD dana steerable axle (both forward and in reverse, automatically locks in place while at higher speeds)  I no longer need the unit and I am moving from Texas to Oregon (too much to move trying to down size for the move).

zz2.jpg

zzzz9.jpg

zzz1.jpg

zz6.jpg

zz5.jpg

How much are you asking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 3:38 PM, Kirk W said:

Hi! So my husband said all we can afford right now is 4,000 to 5,000. We are not trying to low ball you and hope your not offended. We were gonna purchase another one but had to wait because of vehicle issues. Which we are still having. We were gonna wait a year or so and try to save for a new one. I completely understand if that’s too low. We might be able to come up with more but that won’t be for a little while. Let me know what you think. Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DALLAS said:

Paid 13,900.00 plus tax will take 7,500.00 no damage like new

We don’t have that right now. Maybe in a few months... all we have right now is 4-5,000 we are moving and my husbands truck that was gonna tow our rv needs a new transmission and my excursion just had a check engine light come. So things are tight. If you still have it down the road I will reach out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 10:42 AM, aurora54 said:

I have one for sale.  I bought it in 2016, used it to zig zag coast to coast and then for personal reasons needed to strop traveling, so it only has 8,000 miles or so on it. It has some superficial rust because I live near the ocean, but is otherwise in fine shape. I loved it. Also , Joe, the manufacturer, provided excellent support, answering calls from remote locations.  I got it with the winch option, which allowed me to pull my RV out of some mud it was stuck in.  I'm in Northern California. 

 

I am interested in one of these hitches so can you elaborate on the support you required "from remote locations." Sounds like you had multiple issues. A quick search of the BBB came up with many complaints on these hitches.

https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/gainesville/profile/trailer-hitches/automated-safety-hitch-0875-90622349/complaints
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only had two minor problems. The first was on the ASH1 a short in the taillights (which are not needed unless you pull the ASH without a trailer on it). The short was internal to the taillight and I was reimbursed for the replacement. The second problem was on the ASH2 the electronic board that unlocks the steering at slow speeds when backing or taken tight turns quit working (there is a manual override if this happens). Called and a replacement part was sent next day air (had it the next day at the RV park I was staying at).  Replaced it in about 10 minutes good to go. The most recent trip with the ASH2 was from Texas thru New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and back to Texas. I have towed combined with both units about 14,000 miles and except for two small issues it has performed as advertised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas,

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully aurora54 will add some info on their reason for needing factory support in their remote location.

 

Edited by RV fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 8:09 AM, RV fan said:

I am interested in one of these hitches so can you elaborate on the support you required "from remote locations." Sounds like you had multiple issues. A quick search of the BBB came up with many complaints on these hitches.

https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/gainesville/profile/trailer-hitches/automated-safety-hitch-0875-90622349/complaints
 

 

Just learning to use it, and help getting out of the bad mud patch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 2:34 PM, Concetta said:

Hi all. Hope I’m posting this in the right place. Instead of having our truck lowered and getting smaller tires we want to get one of these. If anyone has one to sell please let me know!! Thanks for any and all help!!

I have one for sale. Are you still looking? if so, email me at aurora at historica dot us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Rv Insurance Benefits.com Logo

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...