Concetta

Looking for an automated safety hitch

Hi all. Hope I’m posting this in the right place. Instead of having our truck lowered and getting smaller tires we want to get one of these. If anyone has one to sell please let me know!! Thanks for any and all help!!

1 hour ago, Concetta said:

Hi all. Hope I’m posting this in the right place. Instead of having our truck lowered and getting smaller tires we want to get one of these. If anyone has one to sell please let me know!! Thanks for any and all help!!

Automated safety hitch? If this is for a 5th wheel are you trying to not tow nose high, have better rail clearance? If this is true, a different hitch would not solve either of those two examples. A lot more detailed information is needed to intelligently give you any advise. 

No further info is needed. A simple Google search yields: this. I've seen them before, they've been discussed here before, but I haven't seen any postings for sales. They're a fairly niche product, so that limits the resale market. 

5 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

No further info is needed. A simple Google search yields: this. I've seen them before, they've been discussed here before, but I haven't seen any postings for sales. They're a fairly niche product, so that limits the resale market. 

Why would you want to have this set up? I would think it would be considered triple towing.  Which is not legal in all states.  Plus hooking it up this way would make you about 6-7 feet longer and two more wheels/bearings to maintain. 

The hitch platform looks like more trouble than it is worth.  It is a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Ken

Thank you for your advice and opinions. 

And so very true Darryl and Rita!! These are hard to find... people who own them don’t tend to sell them. 

I’ve done my due diligence on researching the automated safety hitch and after seeing all the negative and all the positive and talking with people who own them and talking with the inventor.... I’m confident this is what we want. The cost difference of remodifying our truck, getting a flat bed or and smaller tires verse this thing is pretty close and we would rather not have to lower the truck and get all new tires.. or a flat bed. Also as far as the length goes...

Included with each unit sold is a notarized letter indicating the regulatory compliance in 9 countries and regions stating that the Automated Safety Hitch System is classified as a lift/drop axle, not as a trailer. Therefore, registration with state and county motor vehicle departments are not required. The letter also states that the additional seven to nine feet should not be added because “the length of devices determined to be necessary for safe and efficient operation should be excluded.” Several states have laws that exempt the lift/drop axle from the length limitation. Jamieson said that none of his customers have reported being ticketed for length violations and that was confirmed by the customers I interviewed for this report. Customers surveyed also revealed that the Safety Hitch has been used in nearly every state and Canada without any problem.

so I am also not concerned there. Yes it will make going to certain places more tricky but that’s ok. 

I am posting everywhere I can on rv sites looking for one cause they are so hard to find. 

So if anyone comes across one please let me know.

thanks!!!

....aaaaand we’re off on a discussion...

It’s a “booster” axle or more properly a “C” dolly not a trailer. 

My vote is its safer. 2 more braked wheels, reduced weight on the tow vehicle keeping steering jomerty correct, lengthens the tow vehicles effective wheelbase for better stability, looks cool. 

If towing two trailers is “triple towing” am I “single towing” driving my tow vehicle around by itself today? 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

If towing two trailers is “triple towing” am I “single towing” driving my tow vehicle around by itself today? 

Agreed.  I never understand when anyone calls DOUBLE towing triple towing.  Using the triple towing logic, if you're only towing a 5er, it is double towing.  

6 hours ago, Concetta said:

Included with each unit sold is a notarized letter indicating the regulatory compliance in 9 countries and regions stating that the Automated Safety Hitch System is classified as a lift/drop axle, not as a trailer. Therefore, registration with state and county motor vehicle departments are not required. The letter also states that the additional seven to nine feet should not be added because “the length of devices determined to be necessary for safe and efficient operation should be excluded.” Several states have laws that exempt the lift/drop axle from the length limitation. Jamieson said that none of his customers have reported being ticketed for length violations and that was confirmed by the customers I interviewed for this report. Customers surveyed also revealed that the Safety Hitch has been used in nearly every state and Canada without any problem.

so I am also not concerned there. Yes it will make going to certain places more tricky but that’s ok. 

Not to poo-poo on the ASH, but each state decides what is a trailer and what is double towing.  You won't win an argument on the side of the road with LEO.  You may or may not win in court after showing the letter to the judge.  This letter is no different than the paperwork some swivelwheel trailer makers provide.  The state of Fla considers swivelwheel trailers as a trailer, NOT a frame extension.  That has not stopped people from using them and NOT being bothered by LEOs.

Just bear in mind the notarized letter is worth about as much as the paper it is printed on and a judge is the final decider.  Chances of being stopped are probably pretty low.  If you stay off the left and right coasts, you won't have to worry about it anyway.

5 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Not to poo-poo on the ASH, but each state decides what is a trailer and what is double towing.  You won't win an argument on the side of the road with LEO.  You may or may not win in court after showing the letter to the judge.  This letter is no different than the paperwork some swivelwheel trailer makers provide.  The state of Fla considers swivelwheel trailers as a trailer, NOT a frame extension.  That has not stopped people from using them and NOT being bothered by LEOs.

Just bear in mind the notarized letter is worth about as much as the paper it is printed on and a judge is the final decider.  Chances of being stopped are probably pretty low.  If you stay off the left and right coasts, you won't have to worry about it anyway.

I agree.  Unless that particular state allows it and you have a copy of there statue. Then the Leo could confirm it and move on his way.  A bunch of my friends carried a copy of the MD law about LED lights on bikes.  As most Leo’s were not aware of the law.

But if the poster feels comfortable with it, that is there choice. Just hope that they will be traveling full time.  As they will either have to pay the fine , hang around till the court case or higher a lawyer to represent them because they were not able to appear in court themselves.

Edited by rynosback

5 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

If an ASH is considered a "double tow", then wouldn't everyone using a tow dolly for their toad also be double towing?

Only if the state considers it double towing.  Something tells me U-Haul, Ryder, etc., have strong lobbying efforts.

1 hour ago, MidMOTraveler said:

Just wondering what kind of truck you have that would need to be lowered and wheels changed? 

I agree, that is why asked about more details. I had 2” risers added to my 2016 DRV. when ordering it no one really knew why.  Today’s trucks are getting taller.  So to tow level vs nose high was very important to me. As when you tow nose high you are creating a little more pin weight and the rear wheels of the 5ver are taking on more weight. Plus your bed rail clearance is reduced. A lot of the RV manufactures have not made any adjustments yet to my knowledge. This is going to cause a lot more wear and tear on your equipment and a greater chance of failures.

Maybe they have a SRW tv and there rig really requires them to have a DRW. Assuming they have a 5th wheel. Which would be the only type of RV that I could see needing this type of set up. But for some reason they are choosing not to disclose any of their  particulars. As they have posted up after I asked.

i would hope that they have a class 5 hitch on there truck also.

Class 5 Trailer Hitches

Curt Trailer Hitch Class 5These hitches are primarily for commercial applications and pack an incredible towing capacity of between 18,000 to 20,000 pounds. They are extra heavy duty for hauling extra heavy loads. Applications include hauling horse trailers, large recreational vehicles and commercial heavy equipment trailers

All of my statements are based on assumptions on any of their equipment. 

Edited by rynosback

Holly crap,

Depending on options and customizations, the Automated Safety Hitch System could range in price from $10,000 to $11,000, including everything needed (such as a customized class five hitch rated for 30,000 pounds) for your vehicle to pull your trailer.

The more I look into this,

RUN and RUN FAST!!!!!!!

Stated on a dealer that sells these, 

Now you can tow goosenecks and 5th wheel trailers with your SUV.”

https://mrtrailer.com/safetyhitch.htm

Can you imagine seeing a Ford Explorer towing a 44’ toyhauler?

RUN and RUN FAST!!

Read that hole link above.  I bet they sell bridges also.

Are you Sure you Want a Dually? Or how much does a fiberglass fender cost? 

ash68.jpgash69.jpg

Yep, both sides, even with good mirrors it’s hard to see around 8 ft of duals. A dually without some dings is harder to find than one pictures above. Dually’s, one tire can go flat and you not know it, lug nuts can loosen and a tire comes off. It happened to me. Dually’s wear all the tires. Automated Safety Hitch tires wear at the rate of the trailer. Dually trucks bounce more when empty, if you use air bags on the truck, you need to adjust the air pressure different from loaded to empty. The extra wind drag and rolling drag from the extra tires, pull down your fuel economy. If you use your vehicle by itself, a dually is just a pain, parking at the end of the parking lot so you can fit between the lines and open your doors.

A fender costs way less then this set up. If you can not see be around your duals you need to adjust your mirrors properly or get some glasses.

The extra wind drag and rolling drag from the extra tires, pull down your fuel economy”

doesn’t this set up add two more tires?

AGAIN RUN AND RUN FAST!!

I am not trying to derail this thread at all.  I can see some advantages. But the more I read what they state. There are far more cons then pros.  The most important thing is to have the right truck for the job.  But if you have that, you do not need this.

Edited by rynosback

thanks for that info Dutch.

i wasn’t trying to keep my particulars from you on what kind of truck we have, but I have done serious research on these and only wanted to know if someone had one to sell...

but just to be polite and respond..

we have a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 single rear mega cab.

It has a 8” lift with 38” tires. We bought it from Oregon as is. We like it how it is, hence why we bought it. It wasn’t until after we bought it that we decided to get a rv. 

We are getting a 2015 grand design momentum 385th and it’s a fifth wheel. 

We did a price comparison for lowering and smaller tires, verse a flat bed and smaller tires, and the ASH. 

All right around the same price... and we would rather not remodify our truck.

it has the capacity to pull all the weight so that’s not an issue... and we worked with the rv dealer on figuring out what our bed height had to be to safely tow the rig without hitting the bed rails etc...

So the reason for wanting it is so we don’t have to remodify our truck. 

Not so we can pull more weight then our trucks capacity and not because we think it makes pulling an rv better...

even though after doing all my research and talking with several owners I do believe it will make it better and safer. 

But that is solely an opinion not something someone can base on facts... because that’s like saying seatbelts are safer...

they can be but they can also kill you in instances where if you weren’t belted in you would have lived. 

So there’s always pros and cons to things and at the end of the day.. if we don’t like it after we have used it we can sell it and do something else. Trial and error.. I like living and learning and this is the path We want to take right now. 

so this is where we are now... looking for one to buy that’s used so we can save money. 

And thanks again to everyone for trying to help and adding your advice and opinions! I truly appreciate this community of people!!!

1 hour ago, Concetta said:

thanks for that info Dutch.

i wasn’t trying to keep my particulars from you on what kind of truck we have, but I have done serious research on these and only wanted to know if someone had one to sell...

but just to be polite and respond..

we have a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 single rear mega cab.

It has a 8” lift with 38” tires. We bought it from Oregon as is. We like it how it is, hence why we bought it. It wasn’t until after we bought it that we decided to get a rv. 

We are getting a 2015 grand design momentum 385th and it’s a fifth wheel. 

We did a price comparison for lowering and smaller tires, verse a flat bed and smaller tires, and the ASH. 

All right around the same price... and we would rather not remodify our truck.

it has the capacity to pull all the weight so that’s not an issue... and we worked with the rv dealer on figuring out what our bed height had to be to safely tow the rig without hitting the bed rails etc...

So the reason for wanting it is so we don’t have to remodify our truck. 

Not so we can pull more weight then our trucks capacity and not because we think it makes pulling an rv better...

But you are beyond your trucks capacity, read below

even though after doing all my research and talking with several owners I do believe it will make it better and safer. 

I would agree as you would not be towing nose high and properly distributing the weight improperly on the rear trailers wheels.

But that is solely an opinion not something someone can base on facts... because that’s like saying seatbelts are safer...

WOW, It is a proven statistic it is safer, sure there might be a .001 circumstance that it might not

they can be but they can also kill you in instances where if you weren’t belted in you would have lived. 

So there’s always pros and cons to things and at the end of the day.. if we don’t like it after we have used it we can sell it and do something else. Trial and error.. I like living and learning and this is the path We want to take right now. 

so this is where we are now... looking for one to buy that’s used so we can save money. 

Now it makes sense as it was what I was speculating. This is a perfect option for you as long as you are in the specs of the truck.

By looking up the specs online I’m showing the trailer should weigh about 15,900lbs UVW. And this is with out any gear in it.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans

Assuming you have an automatic CTD Ram,

3.42 gears Max is (4x2) 9700 lbs (4x4) 9300 lbs

3.73gears Max is (4x2) 13700 lbs (4x4) 13300 lbs

4.10 gears Max is (4x2) 16700 lbs (4x4) 16300 lbs

Above is per Rams website, https://www.ramtruck.ca/en_dir/pdf/hd/HD_Payload_Selector.pdf

So if you add 15900 lbs plus let’s say 500 lbs (being way conservative) for the auto safety hitch.  That would put you at about  16,400 towing with out adding any of your items to the rig.

So from what the engineers at Ram say, you will be towing beyond the specified limits of the truck and that is assuming even with the 4.10 rear.  What spec sheets are you looking at stating that you are with in limits? 

Made comments in your quote also.  I see where you are coming from.  I have said all I am going to say. Best of luck.

Edited by rynosback

I just re-read this thread.  I must apologize as it is not my right to inform you that you are not in limits.  As you only were looking for a used one, not for advice.  Initially I was not sure what you were looking for and tried to understand your dilemma. This is why I asked what you had and what you were towing. If you would like, I will delete my posts. Again I apologize for derailing your thread asking to buy a used Automatic Safety Hitch. Best of luck.

No worries rynosback! It’s totally ok, I appreciate when someone tries to help out... I have had a hectic week and my dog has fallen ill very suddenly. So I’m fairly stressed. 

I actually called dodge and gave them our vin and gave them info on the modifications to our truck... the tow capacity for our truck is 22,000 lbs. 

and our gear ratio has been adjusted to haul the weight. My husband knows the specifics on that. So I’m feeling confident that we can pull the trailer. 

Thanks though for all the information and links to sources! It’s very helpful!!

Edited by Concetta

I hope that your dog is OK and gets better. Thanks, but you did not come across as agitated.  There are quite a few people that tow more then there tv can handle.  Some are aware of it and others are not. Most car and RV dealers have no clue and just want to sell you something. It is all about having the facts and then deciding your risk level.

Best of luck with your search.