Would you do this?

rynosback

I have a friend that bought his FIRST RV and put it into the rental pool with a company. Full Disclosure....he had connections to a friend whose family owned the rental company.

It pretty much is similar to renting your vacation home. 

In his case, he lives in a urban area with no room for an RV. So the rental company ends up being his "free" parking site. He is high income in retirement, so the tax breaks are significant in his case. The rental company takes care of his maintenance and it is split between warranty, rental, or his responsibility. Which he can deduct on his taxes.

He has had some interesting discoveries. It really has not been that different than with our vacation home. His wife insisted on a larger RV than could haul their grandchildren, well that is more attractive for larger rental groups. All our vacation home problems come with large groups.

So IF I were to do it I would get a small RV that limited the rental to ONE couple. 

Your mileage and experience may vary....the real benefits in his case. FREE STORAGE and quick on site repairs. I have not seen his tax return to comment on that aspect.

My sense, if you don't need to tax benefits...have plenty of parking for your RV...and maintenance is not an issue. I would pass.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

When we were still part-timers, we were very prone to deciding to take off with our motorhome on the spur of the moment, so no, we would never have considered renting it out. Our record was 20 minutes from decision to turning the key. Got home three weeks later...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system