Would you do this?

rynosback

The RV spin on Air B&B, https://www.outdoorsy.com
I would not rent mine out, but wondering how many people would rent there Rig out? I get a motorized RV, but trusting that they are towing it with the correct vehicle would be a huge concern for the towables.

I could see advantages to people looking at a certain RV to buy renting the same model to make sure it is the right fit before they went out to buy one.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I would assume that you mean the rental program?  https://www.outdoorsy.com/list-your-rv

If so, my answer is no, but there are significant numbers of RV owners who do this. I suspect one factor would be the amount you use your RV and how far ahead you plan when you do so. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I would assume that you mean the rental program?  https://www.outdoorsy.com/list-your-rv

If so, my answer is no, but there are significant numbers of RV owners who do this. I suspect one factor would be the amount you use your RV and how far ahead you plan when you do so. 

Yes, my mistake I thought it was clear.  I just edited the first post by adding would rent out your rig. Hope this clarifies any confusions. 

No. We were either fulltiming in which case there was no availability for renting or I was snowbirding and would not risk my rig not being available when fall came. I suspect the only ones being willing to rent their rigs are people who only go out occasionally so are less worried about something happening to their rigs.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We have camp hosted and volunteered around the country and seen plenty of rental units on the road.  The way some folks treat stuff that they do not own is horrible.  

No way would I ever rent my RV out.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We have personally  never known anyone who has done this.We would not do this even if we were low end users and the RV was available. I would guess the insurance would be high.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

5 hours ago, richfaa said:

We have personally  never known anyone who has done this.We would not do this even if we were low end users and the RV was available. I would guess the insurance would be high.

The company they linked to provides the insurance.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If you have ever visited PPL you will quickly see why no one here seems willing to rent out their RV.

There are companies that rent RV's, usually Class C rigs. You pay plenty for the rental of those, because they expect that when you bring it back they will have to spend time and money cleaning and repairing it before the next customer can have it.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

My assumption is that people who do this probably intend to treat the RV as a "rental property" and plan to declare most expenses associated with it to be business expenses.  Presumably, if you abide by IRS rules regarding personal use of rental properties you can probably get away with it.  Personally, we would never consider doing this, but everyone makes his/her own choices in life.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

It was quite a time ago, but we did meet a couple who rented their RV when not using it themselves but they were with RV Timeshare and spoke very highly of it. I believe that it works pretty much the same as the one in the previous link. Several years ago the RV Fun Club had a booth and they were selling actual time-share interest in RVs. Until this thread, I had not thought of them in quite some time. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've lent and borrowed RVs, and I've rented personal RVs many times.  No qualms, I'd do it in a second.  We aren't renting our new one simply because the wife said she wants to be sure to get to "wear it out first."  Fine.  I would have put it on the market in a second.

In my neighborhood we've swapped RVs and vehicles several times.  Someone needs my Jeep for a trip in the desrt or hunting?  Sure!  I needed a larger RV when going out with more people?  A neighbor gave me his TT *and* his truck.  Etc.

Edited by Carlos

A man on irv2.com posted his personal experiences with renting his MH, why he stopped, and the reasons he will never rent his MH again.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I do not blame people for not wanting to rent there rig to complete strangers. I posted this because I did not even know that this even existed. And it kinda shocked me as you can rent RV’s through Cruise America or El Monte. 

But there are thousands of hotels and true bed and breakfasts out there yet air B&B is growing and making cash.

Hit Craigslist in the snowbird states. All winter, there's class A's, C's and travel trailers for rent. Even in the summer, there's still ad's. The difference is emotional attachment vs. financial decision. Same reason there's landlords and tenants. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The one time we rented it was a new rig from a dealer. I think they hoped we would then buy it. But, they have all the documents and stuff for rentals so maybe not. It was a brand new rig that was now used so they took the depreciation hit on it. Being a dealer, though, they would be able to write that off as a business expense? I wonder what kind of deal they would have offered us if we'd been ready to buy then?

Linda

We are currently in a county campground where it is fairly empty during the week but gets full during the weekend.  We have been seeing a lot of first time RVers and newbies come and go.  Based on what I'm seeing, no I would never consider renting out my RV.  Anyone who does rent theirs out should probably get a deposit equal to about 50% of the value.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We have a 1977 VW Westfalia and we toyed with the idea of renting it out to pay for our "habit". A good deal came up on a 1978 so we jumped on that one instead. The 77 will remain our personal vehicle and the 78 will be for rentals. WIth the service charges and elevated insurance costs considered, the 78 should be paid off by the end of the summer!

We rented out our 2nd home as we started rving and weren't using it in the summer months. The wear and tear from good renters was more than I could bare...never again. Place has been sold as we are rving now. 

Edited by ToddF

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, rynosback said:

I do not blame people for not wanting to rent there rig to complete strangers. I posted this because I did not even know that this even existed. And it kinda shocked me as you can rent RV’s through Cruise America or El Monte. 

But there are thousands of hotels and true bed and breakfasts out there yet air B&B is growing and making cash.

Yeah, but you can get a decent Airbnb for $50/night.  The cheapest RV I've seen (drivable) was $160/day.  That's why we still haven't rented one.  I can do a trip to see my son in Colorado for about $300 in rental/hotel expense.  That wouldn't even get me out there in a rental RV. 

While I don't own an RV yet... I guarantee we'd never rent one out.  We were landlords for several years of a mobile home we couldn't sell.  Never, ever, again.

Alice...

Weekender with a F-150 and Rockwood 2503S - until this happens:

event.png

• 2 months later...