Need photos: ramps ON HDT to park RZR on

Brian C

BLUF: I want to build ramps up the cab of the HDT. (No not touching the cab.)

Now I am sure this has been beaten to death somewhere but I don’t even know what to type in the search to find it. Shoot I can’t even get a decent title!  (Please feel free to direct me to someone’s build link! Thank you)

I picked up my HDT and I am going to stretch the frame a touch. Then put a bed on it. I would like to haul an RZR4 and some dirt bikes ON the HDT. 

Goal is to fabricate Ramp up the back of the cab. 

The RZR will be parked lengthwise on the truck and I’d like to have it on as severe an angle as I am able to tuck it in tight and save space.  I also want to park the bikes under and next to the RZR.  I will then tow a 5er.

I would include a photo that I do have, but this site won’t let me use the size photos I have and I cannot seem to reduce it any more than it is.

Thank you all.

Brian

Edited by Brian C

Hi Brian, I took a quick couple of searches but didn't take the time to check all the results.  I think the phrase "bed build" will narrow it down a lot for you.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

This is a rear view of our bed.

CGFXk1nl.jpg

You can see a side view in the avatar. I would think about setting your razor to the side. Then the bikes to the other side. Then have full area under the ramp for storage.

The center upright is what I hook the jeep to to pull it up. 

Just a thought,.   Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

We have a RZR 800 that we load across the bed.  Our bed is 48" off the ground and I use an 8' ramp.  At that angle the RZR drives up the ramp without a problem.  Crawling in and out at that angle is something I might have done in my younger years but not today.  At that angle the fuel pickup and oil pickup have not been a problem.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

4 hours ago, Randyretired said:

We have a RZR 800 that we load across the bed.  Our bed is 48" off the ground and I use an 8' ramp.  At that angle the RZR drives up the ramp without a problem.  

Thank you Randy. Ours is a four seat, so it will not fit sideways on the bed. 

I had not considered the oil and fuel concerns with an angle. Any idea where I might find information to tell me how much is too much, and what is needed if I exceed that?  Thank you. 

7 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

You can see a side view in the avatar. I would think about setting your razor to the side. Then the bikes to the other side. Then have full area under the ramp for storage.

The center upright is what I hook the jeep to to pull it up. 

Just a thought,.   Vern

Thank you much Vern. Did you hire the work out, or build it yourself? It looks very nice. My plan for now is to put my motorcycle under the RZR and then put my boys’ bikes on either side and currently one will sit inside the RZR or next to my bike depending on Space. 

I will not be building mine. I have no experience fabricating and this seems a bad thing to learn on. I do not know what to tell potential fabricators though. What structural considerations were there?  

That ramp of yours certainly appears to make a huge drom box for you. 

19 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Roger Dickinson might chime in on this.  He ramps his Jeep.

Mine's a 2017 Smart loaded from the side.  I did modify the placement of the ramps while loading and unloading to  eliminate the two front chocks and saving 5+ minutes each way.

Storage areaCGFXk1nl.jpg

I built the bed after much thought on what I wanted to do.

tBa4GTpl.jpg

this should give a good idea as to the storage I have and construction. The center support is with two 10" channel irons straight up and made into a storage cabinet.

Just some thoughts,.  Vern

When talking to fab shops, think of it as a job interview. You're hiring them to do a job. If you don't feel comfortable with their answers, their shop conditions, or their bad breath, keep interviewing. A good shop will have software to calculate all the stresses and weights involved with loading and traveling. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Being as I’ve noticed I don’t bounce like I used to,

and trucks are high off the hard ground,

and ramps are steep,

and I have (limited) experience winching and hauling some heavy what not,

I like it when a winch line has a hold of a wheeled something trying to fall off a ramp/trailer/deck 5 feet in the air rather than driving it.

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I figured Vern would pop in and give you some good pics.

If you go to the http://hdtrally.com/ for the National Rally, you can click on Previous Rallies at top of page and then click on any of the years.  You will find photos of Truck/Attendees.  You will have 15 years of photos.  There will be a few in there.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

7 hours ago, Brian C said:

Thank you Randy. Ours is a four seat, so it will not fit sideways on the bed. 

I had not considered the oil and fuel concerns with an angle. Any idea where I might find information to tell me how much is too much, and what is needed if I exceed that?  Thank you. 

Polaris maybe able to give you more information on that.  However, depending on how long your RZR is, going much steeper than the angle we use may cause height issues.  Also a steeper angle will reduce the storage under the RZR.  We load our RZR under our Subaru Forester with the roll bar removed.  The car is carried at an angle and the RZR fits tightly under the front of the car.  To help me envision what I wanted to build I paced back from my HDT far enough to get the bed area in a picture.  Then I took a picture of the car at the same distance.  I cut out the car in the car picture and placed over the bed pic.  Using a object such as the cab for height limits this gave me a way to see what it might look like and the angles that may be needed.  It is not perfect but it will get you close and can be a good way to show a fabricator what you have in mind.

Randy

6 hours ago, rdickinson said:

Mine's a 2017 Smart loaded from the side.  I did modify the placement of the ramps while loading and unloading to  eliminate the two front chocks and saving 5+ minutes each way.

OOPs.... I was thinking Vern... 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Randy I believe I have seen yours, blue Kenworth/Peterbilt style truck with a low roof?

Thank you for the idea of the photo. I never thought of that. 

Hero, I did do that, thank you though  

Thank you everyone!

I really appreciate your help. 

Brian

30 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

Not to hi Jack but how about a smart on a ramp sideways?.

You could put a smart on a ramp sideways. at about 27" lift on one end it fits into the allowable legal limit (maybe a little less). It greatly complicates things though and seems unnecessary.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

8 hours ago, Brian C said:

Randy I believe I have seen yours, blue Kenworth/Peterbilt style truck with a low roof?

Thank you for the idea of the photo. I never thought of that. 

Hero, I did do that, thank you though  

Thank you everyone!

I really appreciate your help. 

Brian

Brian, yes that blue low roof Volvo is ours.  As I wrote the ramps we use for our RZR are 8' and climb 4'.  The RZR climbs this 6" per foot rise without a problem.  Depending on the length of your RZR I would guess that will be pretty  close to what might work for you.  Good luck and please post pics.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, Randyretired said:

Brian, yes that blue low roof Volvo is ours.  As I wrote the ramps we use for our RZR are 8' and climb 4'.  The RZR climbs this 6" per foot rise without a problem.  Depending on the length of your RZR I would guess that will be pretty  close to what might work for you.  Good luck and please post pics.

Thank you Randy,  hopefully I can get it worked out soon and start a build.