Running lights fuse

crazybanshee

Getting ready for a trip and noticed the running lights on the bed are not on. Trailer running lights are tied to the ICC terminal in the Jackalope and are on. No power on the brown trailer wire from the truck to the running lights. Checked all fuses on the dash and all good. Seems that I have seen another fuse block somewhere but can not find it now. A pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks doug

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

Quickthrotl I have checked all the fuses and relays on the dash. they are all good. I have seen you tube videos that there is a trailer fuse box in the engine compartment but I can not find it.  all the vids show it above the steering.

2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black

Have you tried the Resource Guide for Gen 2 Schematics?  Pg 47, 48, 49 seems to be lighting.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Thanks never I will check it out.. Desert I do not think the trailer lighting is run through the LCM because you can add as many lights you want to the trailer circuit without any errors. I believe the LCM only controls the truck lighting.  Thinking of just adding a switch and fuse to control the running lights

2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Doug,

Under the cab of the truck there is a wiring loom tied to the drivers side frame rail.  Roughly the same distance from the front as the commercial truck plug on the end of the green wire.  There is a black multi wire connector plug.  One piece clips into the other and there is a plastic lever that clips them both together.  The lever clip wasn't holding the 2 halves together well enough so the trailer brake lites  were not lighting up.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=wiring+junction+connector&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrwJnWt-DiAhUjilQKHR__DgYQ7Al6BAgAEA8&biw=1670&bih=777#imgrc=_O6eWy6rg2nOdM:&spf=1560221959416

When moving the lever, clip I could hear a breaker popping in the Jackalopee quite clearly.  Nigel confirmed the click with the offending circuit.

Email Nigel, he's still on the Island.  I took a couple of pics with his camera so maybe he can up load them.

Identify which wire is the one in question by testing the north end first then check the south end of the plug.

This is the stock Volvo loom.

I got two tie wraps  about a foot long and cinched the 2 plug halves together from one end to the other and levered the tie wraps really tight with a pair of needle nose pliers..  It worked for me.

Nigel wasn't much interested in sliding around on his back on the gravel under the truck, can't imagine why,  hence the pics. 

As Henry said to me last year, start with the last part that works and work on down the line from there.

Hope it works for you.

Edited by rdickinson
typo

thanks for the info. I will crawl under this weekend and check the wiring. I have looked at many schematics but can not find the fuse and relay layout for the dash fuse block.

2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

On the truck side of the socket the running lite wire is brown.  b/w 1 and 2 o'clock position.  Check for power on the pins in the socket  with a circuit tester and lights on.  If no power there , locate the terminal block I mentioned and try on the trailer end of the brown wire.  If power there then the problem is in the plug.  Take it apart and clean connections.

If not there try the truck side of the plug with the circuit tester.

When you pull the plug out of the socket, look at the male plug end.  On the  end the pin holes are labelled clockwise from the top , W, Bk, Y,  R, G, Br.  Center is Blue. 

Socket is opposite, clockwise at 12 o'clock, W, Br, Gr, R, Y, Bk.  Center is Blue.

Running lites on the RV 7 pin connector is Green.

On edit, contact Randy A or his friend Charlie.  Randy tore his dash apart a year or more ago and will be able to help with the fuse/breaker end of things.  Maybe Contact Henry as well.  He was able to walk me thru the Jackalopee last year and I know little about all things electrical.  A couple of mechanics had had at the Jack and got thing messed up.

Edited by rdickinson
updated information

18 hours ago, crazybanshee said:

thanks for the info. I will crawl under this weekend and check the wiring. I have looked at many schematics but can not find the fuse and relay layout for the dash fuse block.

Got to this link: http://www.hhrvresource.com/node/179

I have yet to figure out the whole scheme of things but this is what I have found by looking.  All of the below manuals are for a 2006 and seem to be a complete set of sorts.  There are two electrical schematics for the 2006, seeming to be for different builds.  The others on the above link are for other years but none newer than 2006.

PV776-20043814 Electrical Schematics w/ Fuse and Relay designation
PV776-20177347 Electricl Functional Description, Trouble Shooting and Service
PV776-20047693 Parts and Wiring Harnes Locations/IllustrationIndex
PV776-20175317 Electrical Schematics w/ Fuse and Relay designation  

In one of the Electrical Schematics manuals, look at the index to find what page the fuse listing is on.  That page lists the fuse number, function, and page where the fuse will appear in a schematic of the function.  Following the fuse listing is a listing for the relays.

Hope this helps.  Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Thanks guys for the help. Looks like it is fuse F9 and RLY09, Now I just need to find them in the truck to check them, This will be Sun project

2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

The top centre of the dash where the cup holder is lifts off and the fuse box and relays are under there.  There may be two torx screws holding the cover on and they are accessed through the drink holder. Most mechanics don’t seem to put the screws back in once they have been in there so yours may be missing.

Most often the bed builder will grab power for the bed lights at the rear of the frame where the factory lamps were. That would be a good place to start looking for a bad connection.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I found the connectors under the truck where the trailer pigtail connects to the trucks wiring harness. Have not had time to check voltages there. I am using the brown running lights wire on the trailer harness. I have looked over everything under the dash an looks ok. It has worked for the last five years until the last trip. Can not seem to find a layout of the fuses and relays to find the ones I need to check.

2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Thanks Dennis it is not under the cover. Leaving for vacation tomorrow so just ran a wire, fuse and switch from the battery and will deal with it when I get back.

2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

On June 14, 2019 at 10:57 PM, Nigel said:

The top centre of the dash where the cup holder is lifts off and the fuse box and relays are under there.  There may be two torx screws holding the cover on and they are accessed through the drink holder. Most mechanics don’t seem to put the screws back in once they have been in there so yours may be missing.

On page 23 the generic fuse panel is shown with a disclaimer saying words to the effect, each truck is different so refer to the sticker under the lid.

FileImageDisplay.aspx?FileId=6246&Displa

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg