Tucson recommendations for winter?

Explorer01

I'm looking for recommendations for a 2 or 3 month stay in Tucson this winter (Dec - Jan 2019/2020 plus a month on either side). I generally prefer a very natural site (boondocking, actually, but not this time...) I want to be in the Tucson area so that I can hike consistently with a local hiking group. I do not need or want a resort atmosphere (or price), as my social life will be elsewhere. I may boondock during the month on either side.

Preferences - Quiet, nature, not too expensive; good proximity to Tucson

I have tried boondocking near Tucson and have not really enjoyed it. Escapees Saguaro Co-op is too far out.

Thank you!

Edited by Explorer01

There are some 'rustic' RV parks in the vicinity of Tucson Mtn. Park/Saguaro West.  Use this site to read about them:  http://www.campgroundreviews.com/

Gilbert Ray, Pima County Park,  is a favorite of ours right in the heart of hiking the Tucson Mtn. Park trails but I think you can only stay 2 weeks.

Others in the area are Bar J RV, Desert Trails, Western Way.

This is the area where Snyder Hill BLM boondocking is if you're familiar with that.

Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

9 hours ago, nwtraveler said:

We stayed at Catalina State Park last year. Liked it.

We have stayed at Catalina State Park and it is very nice. The OP said: 

23 hours ago, Explorer01 said:

I'm looking for recommendations for a 2 or 3 month stay in Tucson this winter (Dec - Jan 2019/2020 plus a month on either side).

I believe that Catalina State Park has a 14 day stay limit. When we were there, the sites were water and electric. There was a dump station, but that may not be very convenient depending on the size of the RV's dump tanks and whether one wants to use the pubic facilities. When we were there, they did use volunteers and I believe the Host Sites did have full hookups, but not 100% sure of that.

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

You might want to check out the Pima County Fairgrounds camping as it is very reasonably priced.

The website lists a weekly rate of $150, but no monthly. That comes out to $1350 for the nine weeks of December -January. No idea whether that is a good rate for the area or not. The website does state

Special events may reserve all RV Sites which could require RV guests to move to another site or to another offsite RV park. 

So that would be something to check on when planning a long term stay.

Edited by trailertraveler

33 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

$150 a week = $600 a month.

Not really. The only month that is exactly 4 weeks is February. As I mentioned in my post, December 2019 - January 2020 (the time frame the OP is interested in) is 9 weeks (minus 1 day) that amounts to $1350 or $675/month. The way their rates are structured it is cheaper to pay for the ninth week at $150 than for 6 days at $180.

Edited by trailertraveler

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Yes, I've stayed at Snyder Hill and Gilbert Ray (it does have a 2 week limit though I could leave and go back, etc). I do want to check out Catalina SP at some point, too. I'd rather not move around all that often if possible. There are many outfits listed on the "campendium" type sites -- just thought I'd ask this group.

I appreciate your responses!