Very Uncertain and need any help you may offer....thank you

im4osu2

We've driven in rain a few times in the five years we've been on the road. Not a big deal IF the wipers are up to it.

Part of the reason we chose a no-slide MH was that we have a curious cat. She sleeps in a carrier while we're driving. When we stop for lunch we let her out. We like having the coach at a comfortable temperature all the time. As I type this it is 92* here, headed for a low of 72, so both air conditioners are running. Tomorrow we're traveling about 350 miles. The generator will be running, as will both a/c units, and the coach will be comfortable the whole time. That's one advantage of a MH.

On the other hand, we're finding that we are staying in one place far more than we thought, so we're wanting to trade the Foretravel for an Airstream. Yes, we'll have to give up having the coach at a comfortable temperature while traveling, but we're not traveling as many days as we thought we would five years ago.

Remember that what is right for you today may not be right five years from now. So what? Very few people get the perfect RV the first time. Do your research and buy what seems to be the best for you for now. As you travel and use your coach you will find that maybe you would be better off with something else. Trade. Repeat. There is a reason why there are so many RV options available. Not every RV is right for every person.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

9 hours ago, kb0zke said:

We've driven in rain a few times in the five years we've been on the road. Not a big deal IF the wipers are up to it.

Part of the reason we chose a no-slide MH was that we have a curious cat. She sleeps in a carrier while we're driving. When we stop for lunch we let her out. We like having the coach at a comfortable temperature all the time. As I type this it is 92* here, headed for a low of 72, so both air conditioners are running. Tomorrow we're traveling about 350 miles. The generator will be running, as will both a/c units, and the coach will be comfortable the whole time. That's one advantage of a MH.

On the other hand, we're finding that we are staying in one place far more than we thought, so we're wanting to trade the Foretravel for an Airstream. Yes, we'll have to give up having the coach at a comfortable temperature while traveling, but we're not traveling as many days as we thought we would five years ago.

Remember that what is right for you today may not be right five years from now. So what? Very few people get the perfect RV the first time. Do your research and buy what seems to be the best for you for now. As you travel and use your coach you will find that maybe you would be better off with something else. Trade. Repeat. There is a reason why there are so many RV options available. Not every RV is right for every person.

My wipers are always up to it. I replace them when needed also. I guess you missed my point.

Turns out it's rain. A new analysis of federal data shows that rain causes more driving fatalities than snow in 39 of the 50 states. In fact, car accidents are the deadliest weather hazard in the United States — whether caused by rain, snow, fog or wind — and kill about 7,000 Americans a year.May 14, 2015

It is all about lessening the risk.

I could careless about setting up in the rain.  As I have a rain coat and I can always dry off and change into dry cloths once set up. But when the other drivers cut you off and then get on the brakes, dry conditions are the best.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

11 hours ago, rynosback said:

A new analysis of federal data shows that rain causes more driving fatalities than snow in 39 of the 50 states.

Because those states rarely get snow? "Lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

12 hours ago, sandsys said:

Because those states rarely get snow? "Lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Linda

I would guess why it is 39 out of 50 states. 

Again everyone seems to be missing the point. It is more hazardess to drive in rain vs when it is sunny out. Anyone that thinks different is just fooling them selves. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Wasn't the actual point more along the lines of "a motorhome has a benefit versus a TT or 5th because you don't have to hook up or unhook in the rain" rather than "it's scary/fun/exciting/dangerous to drive in the rain"? ;) 

I'm pretty sure that's the case, since I'm the one who made the point: 

"I think it was the idea that if we HAD to leave quickly we could. IIRC, the conversation was about someone who had a stranger knock on their door the night before, and there was something about the person's demeanor that made them feel very unsafe. That led me to think about other instances when we might feel the need to make a speedy departure. It's a small-ish thing, but something we did take into consideration. That, and not having to hook up in the rain. "

Edited by Bigthinkers

I grew up north of Seattle.  I lived in the rain most of my life.  I do not want to spend my retirement have adventures in the rain - which is why we avoid it as much as possible.  The being able to pull out at a moments notice is a plus and one we used at a rest stop (while calling 911).   No matter which rig you choose, make sure you can always, ALWAYS, access bathroom, bed, frig, with the slides in.  If not, walk away.  You just never know when that will be important - and when it is :o

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Very good suggestion!  Thanks!

Would like to hear that story.  When/where.  List area/rest stop so we and others ovoid it?

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

After 13 years on the road you think anyone would remember the rest area?  I do remember that the 'panhandlers' were going up to everyone pulling in saying their car wasn't working and they needed money to call for help.  I told them I'd make the call and said 911 will have someone here very quickly.  Their car started and was pulling out within what felt like nanoseconds.  In fact I was still on the 911 giving them a description of the car (ratty looking car) as it pulled out.  We hadn't shut off the engine (just changing drivers) but Dave walked back around the car and checked the hitch to make sure everything was ok before we pulled out.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I own a 24 ft Winnebago class c motorhome and love it!

I started out in a car and tent. I then graduated to van. From there i bought a TAG teardrop trailer, now im simply amazed at how i have nearly all the amenities of a stick and brick plus the freedom of being a nomad living on the road.