Very Uncertain and need any help you may offer....thank you

im4osu2

I am debating on what to buy.....I am 50 and will be traveling alone. 

Option 1:  5th Wheel, Grand Design, Northwood Artic Fox, 30-32 ft.

Option 2:  Class C with a simple toad, Dynamax Isata 5, Ram 6.7 diesel and 5500 chassis....Most expensive of the options.  Like the ease of its drive and maneuverability in and out of spots.  Is it overkill?  I love the idea of having a generator.  I will need a toad. 

Option 3:  Class B+?, 24-26 ft Mercedes Sprinter Diesel.....Do I need a toad, can I pull a toad?  If no toad, will it get old to constantly be unhooking from a spot every time you leave the site to go anywhere?  Not as spacious and would it leave a need for bigger in the future?

Any Help is Very Much Appreciated.  Thanks to All.

Grand Design.jpg

Isata 5.jpg

Mercedes class B+.jpg

First, let me welcome you to the Escapee forums. We are all about helping each other so you have come to the right place.

The best choice in an RV is always most dependant on the lifestyle and preferences of the person who is using it, so we are doing a great deal of speculation when we advise you and know so little about you. How do you plan to use the RV when you get it? Will you be living in it all of the time and if so, how much do you plan to travel? Is it your intention to spend most of your time in RV parks with full hookups and amenities, in state & federal parks with limited facilities, or in places like the BLM Long Term Visitor areas where there is nothing at all? How much storage space & weight capacity will you need and what hobby equipment do you wish to take with you? 

The fifth wheel has by far the most living space and while it costs less than your second choice, you need to consider the additional cost of a truck to tow it with unless you already own a truck capable of doing so. The brands that you are considering are some of the better-rated ones.

Your second choice is also one with real potential but you don't mention how large it is so we are left to a great deal of guessing. Many singles do seem to prefer to travel in a class C and towing a vehicle gives you the advantage of having a higher fuel mileage car to use for the bulk of your daily driving. We lived in a class A and towed and in 12 years we put about 80k miles on the class A but more than 250k on 2 different toweds. 

The class B has the fewest people living fulltime in them but it is being done. Keep in mind that if you choose that way you will have to unhook the RV for every visit to a store or attraction and you will be very limited in what you are able to carry with you. There is no doubt that they can be lived in but the question is, can you live in one? 

If you share more about yourself and what you plan to do with the RV we can probably be much more helpful.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, im4osu2 said:

Option 3:  Class B+?, 24-26 ft Mercedes Sprinter Diesel.....Do I need a toad, can I pull a toad?  If no toad, will it get old to constantly be unhooking from a spot every time you leave the site to go anywhere?  Not as spacious and would it leave a need for bigger in the future?

Unplug the power cord and go!  Only connect gray/black when tanks are full, dump and then disconnect.

No one can make this decision for you.  It is all about what you want to do and the lifestyle that interests you.

For some, a big comfortable RV is important.  They want lots of space, slides, an oven and a microwave, a/c set on automatic, a laundry center, a big screen TV and reclining chairs.  They are willing to make reservations and pay a lot for resort level camping.  They are likely to stay at one place for a while.  They cannot comprehend and would not tolerate a navy style shower with a gallon or two of water.

I am on the other end of the spectrum.  I want a comfy bed, a wet bath and a small kitchen and dinette.  I rarely make reservations.  Typically don't pay much for camping and often boondock or stay in forest service or other camping areas that would not even accommodate a large RV.  I travel a lot and typically only stay in one location for a few days.  My wife and I along with 2 cats managed quite well in a small truck camper with no slides.

No RV will meet every need.  You will have to decide for yourself what is most important for you.  

Edited by JimK

A solo traveler needs (different than wants) less storage space - fewer clothes for the most part. Perhaps smaller set of pots, pans, dishes, glassware and towels. Their bed configuration could be more flexible. 

The big thing is to define your needs. Full time vs part time. If part time, how long and far are you planning on? Someone who takes weekend and a week trip somewhere might have different needs than someone who takes multi-month trips of thousands of miles.

Others brought up the fact that dry camping has different requirements than staying with full hookups. I’ve done both, my first 2 years were spent in at least power only sites as I didn’t have solar or a generator. I now have both.

I noticed you did not include an option for a travel trailer. I’m curious why you ruled them out but have a 5er on your short list. There are advantages and disadvantages both ways, a travel trailer works very well for me, a 5er would require me to change how I do things, to adapt to its characteristics, and I don’t feel any need to do that right now.

For me, the decision would be easy - the Class C pulling a small car.   I wouldn't want a large PU as a daily driver.  And that is one of the reasons that we went with a motorhome instead of a 5th wheel.    We had a Class C (29 ft) before we went fulltiming - it was fine for the two of us for up to 2 weeks.  But just not enough for fulltiming FOR US.   

But if you like PUs, then having one might be ok with you.   Also, we've seen a lot of interesting trailers of late.

So what do you like to do?  What do you want to see?  Where do you want to go?   How much experience RVing have you had?   With a little more info, we can give you more options.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I've had three different sizes of motorhome. The Class B was not big enough for two of us but was perfect for me as a solo snowbird. The Class C on a Sprinter base worked the best for us and we should have kept it; we didn't tow a car with it but we were moving frequently enough that running errands while on the move anyway worked fine. The Class A was a mistake; it was very comfortable for living but its length while towing a car greatly changed our style of traveling which was part of the reason we stopped full timing.

So, yes, deciding how you want to travel is a major consideration in deciding what you need. Telling us about where you want to camp and how often you want to travel will help us help you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

An apparently single man in a VW Van camper is setting up as I type this. Don't know whether he is full-time, part-time, or just here to fish. We met a couple who full-time in a 1973 (yes, 73) Dodge van conversion. They aren't small people, but are minimalists.

A major factor in your decision will be what you want to do. If you are going to set up at a nice COE or State park and then stay there for several days to a couple of weeks, nearly anything will work. If you are planning to set up at a site and use it as a base while you make day trips to various places in the area, you will probably want to have a living space and a separate vehicle for going places. In short, your planned use will have a big effect on what you choose.

Your finances will also affect your choice. The cheapest route is one that lets you use a vehicle that you already own. While few passenger cars can tow much, many SUVs can tow a trailer. Some vehicles can be towed on their own wheels so you don't need another trailer. Check your owner's manual to see what your current vehicle is capable of.

If you will have to trade vehicles no matter what, consider what you are going to be doing. A motorhome can tow another vehicle. While it can be something that is very fuel-efficient (think Smart Car), it doesn't have to be. You can have a Jeep set up for extreme off-road exploring if you want. If you're interested in a motorcycle, you can put a couple on a small trailer. Each could be set up for different purposes.

A truck towing a fifth-wheel or travel trailer gives you a mobile apartment. If you go with a travel trailer you have the bed of the truck available for whatever you want to put there (within weight limits, of course). You could even put those two motorcycles I mentioned above there. The 5'er gives you more space, both living space and storage space, but costs you most of the bed. Watch side-rail height. It is easy to get a truck that is too tall to tow a 5'er. That's not as much of an issue with a travel trailer, unless you start going to an extreme.

Will it get old packing everything up just to go to the store? Maybe. I'm getting a bit tired of packing everything up each Wednesday to drive a few yards to the dump station, but that will only happen three more times and then we move on.

You've gotten several different suggestions here. Consider what we've told you in light of what you think you will be doing. Seriously consider buying used, as once you hit the road you will get a better idea of what you really need and want.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

What is your budget also? I would think the 5th wheel would be the least expensive. Option 3 can not be far behind option 2, which you stated was the most expensive.

it is all preference as everyone has stated.  They all have there own pros and cons. How are you planning on living in it, how you travel? We were between a class A and a 5th wheel? We chose a 5th wheel for the homey feeling and good storage.

Only you can weigh what works for you. Best of luck with your decision.

welcome to the full time adventure.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Welcome. Before you buy anything, rent. You can rent a class c and a small class a. You can get a feel for floorplans and how all the systems work. Possibly, you may decide on what you don't like. It's very helpful and isn't that pricey for a weekend. We rented 2 class c's and a class a before buying a 5th wheel.

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

Also keep in mind what kind of activities you plan to do.  We had a 5th wheel but hated driving the truck on gravel backroads looking for animals. The truck was very noisy & scared them away.  Friends latched us onto 4-wheeling so when it was time to change RVs we chose a Class A pulling a Jeep.  We could explore quietly the backroads and the 4-wheeling gave us lots of fun and seeing awesome countrysides with roads too narrow for a truck to go.

If you're a fisherman or have other hobbies also think of where you'd put things.  Do you think you'd enjoy dry camping in public parks or boondocking on public lands?  If so, holding tank size would be important.

Lots to think about.  Whatever your choice you'll love the RVing lifestyle  Best of luck to you!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 4:53 PM, missourijan said:

Welcome. Before you buy anything, rent. You can rent a class c and a small class a. You can get a feel for floorplans and how all the systems work. Possibly, you may decide on what you don't like. It's very helpful and isn't that pricey for a weekend. We rented 2 class c's and a class a before buying a 5th wheel.

You can also rent Class B

5 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

Remove Option 3 from the list, at least that specific option. The horsepower & torque of the engine can be inadequate when moving the weight of the vehicle in some terrain, and I picture a bike rack & bike as an appropriate toad. In it's favor is the mobility of this type and perhaps the ease in which camp can be set up & broke down, but beyond that I see an over priced under powered coach that brings to mind "an acquired taste". If something of this nature is desired build your own RV into a van of your choosing using the components and design of your choosing and be much more satisfied with the results

Wrong. My Sprinter vans all had plenty of power. We didn't have a toad because we didn't feel a need for one since the vans could go everywhere we wanted to go but they do have enough towing capacity if you want to pull a small toad.

But, I did indeed prefer my Sportsmobile installed custom interior to our prebuilt designs.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I'm not really qualified to speak on this topic, but as we were going through the process of deciding what kind of RV we wanted, ONE of the clinchers--though certainly not the only clincher--for us was a comment someone made on a forum. They said, "If, for any reason, you're uncomfortable in the place you've planned to overnight, you don't have to get out and hitch up a trailer, you simply start up the engine and leave." Oddly, that mattered to us quiet a bit, but I suspect it depends on what options appeal to you for overnights (will you boondock? Stay over at truck stops or WalMart?) , and where you plan to be (will there be bears?).

The other thing, and possibly the BIGGEST thing that helped us make up our minds was getting into a LOT of motorhomes, TTs and 5th wheels. It quickly became clear which one was best for us.

If forced to choose, I'd agree with Barbaraok. Small-ish Class C with a tow car.

Part of the fun, though, is discovering what's right for YOU.

4 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

I'm not really qualified to speak on this topic, but as we were going through the process of deciding what kind of RV we wanted, ONE of the clinchers--though certainly not the only clincher--for us was a comment someone made on a forum. They said, "If, for any reason, you're uncomfortable in the place you've planned to overnight, you don't have to get out and hitch up a trailer, you simply start up the engine and leave." Oddly, that mattered to us quiet a bit, but I suspect it depends on what options appeal to you for overnights (will you boondock? Stay over at truck stops or WalMart?) , and where you plan to be (will there be bears?).

The other thing, and possibly the BIGGEST thing that helped us make up our minds was getting into a LOT of motorhomes, TTs and 5th wheels. It quickly became clear which one was best for us.

If forced to choose, I'd agree with Barbaraok. Small-ish Class C with a tow car.

Part of the fun, though, is discovering what's right for YOU.

We've pulled into an RV park that made us uncomfortable enough to leave. Just driving away only works if you didn't unhitch a toad. 

Linda

18 minutes ago, sandsys said:

We've pulled into an RV park that made us uncomfortable enough to leave. Just driving away only works if you didn't unhitch a toad. 

Linda

We've driven right on through when a park just gave us an icky feeling without ever stopping.   Never have stayed in some place that gave us that feeling as we pulled in.   And have left early from a couple of places (which is extremely hard to do with Dave) because of a feeling we got later in the evening.  We have also gotten a bad vibe in a rest area, and just started the engine will I dialed 911 and loudly said there seemed to be people in distress at the rest area - the group high-tailed out in rapid succession!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I think it was the idea that if we HAD to leave quickly we could. IIRC, the conversation was about someone who had a stranger knock on their door the night before, and there was something about the person's demeanor that made them feel very unsafe. That led me to think about other instances when we might feel the need to make a speedy departure. It's a small-ish thing, but something we did take into consideration. That, and not having to hook up in the rain. 

Obviously, this won't be an issue for everyone. It's just something that caught our attention and, along with much bigger reasons, helped solidify our decision. 

Not having to get out in the rain is priceless.  Can’t count the number of timeswe’ve Just pulled in an d waited for weather to abate.  Was also stuck in a construction line for 45 minutes one day; after a while could see all sorts of people hiking to tree area with kids, etc.  doors open, fanning themselves.  Turned on generator, A/C running, having lunch and using bathroom as needed = priceless. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

28 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Not having to get out in the rain is priceless.  Can’t count the number of timeswe’ve Just pulled in an d waited for weather to abate.  Was also stuck in a construction line for 45 minutes one day; after a while could see all sorts of people hiking to tree area with kids, etc.  doors open, fanning themselves.  Turned on generator, A/C running, having lunch and using bathroom as needed = priceless. 

We never travel in the rain. As why have another factor working against us when traveling? There are quite a few bad drivers out there that have NO understanding of what towing TONS of weight behind you involves. This is why I travel with a dash cam now. I think in 4 years of full timing we have driven in rain twice. It was not for a long period of time or was it hard rain. We will stay longer or leave early if we know that ran is in the forecast.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Turned on generator, A/C running, having lunch and using bathroom as needed

My favorite motorhome story of that nature was the time that we were traveling from Ottawa to Sault Ste Marie on Canada highway 17 when we came upon a major automobile accident and the RCMP had the road closed to investigate the accident. It had been closed for some time, based on the amout of backed up traffic and the number of people out of their vehicles walking about. Since it was nealy noon, I started the generator and Pam prepared a nice lunch which we sat down and ate while watching the activity outside. Shortly after lunch the road was opened again.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

x2

Linda

2 hours ago, rynosback said:

We will stay longer or leave early if we know that ran is in the forecast.

Rain wasn't in the forecast when we left. But before we got through all the construction slowdowns in Chicago/Gary it rained so hard we could barely see. Construction barriers meant we couldn't pull off. Boy, were we really happy to get to a truck stop! That sure made me wish the weather guessers were always right.

Linda