5th wheel/ Toy hauler water capacity.

Jesse A

Hello everyone!

Looking for some advice. We have a 2015 Keystone Courage 313 and 60 gallons of water. The trailer works great for the two of us full timing we can get about one week dry camping without even trying. We are looking at toy haulers for there larger tanks but we are not sold on the layouts. When we have kids we would love 1.5/2 baths, 2 bedrooms and 100 plus fresh capacity (on board generator would be a plus).

So my questions are,

Whats your water capacity?

How long can you dry camp with your rig and kids?

Are there any good models with 1.5 bath, 2 bedrooms and 100 plus gallons of fresh water?

Thank you for the advice!

Follow us on Instagram @bluedog_co

The Vlog! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaOenbHprUoPv6PaYpjQU2w?view_as=subscriber

Melissa & Jesse.jpg

If the water capacity is the only factor to change rigs, then perhaps an aux tank or barrel when you boondock.  Many use HDT tanks or tank locations as well as some other container like an inflatable bladder, used with a pump WHEN needed, otherwise stored.  I have seen some pretty creative ideas/solutions to this issue.  It is amazing what people come up with when faced with such a challenge.

https://www.readycontainment.com/product/truck-bed-water-bladder/?attribute_pa_size=small&attribute_pa_potablenon-potable=potable&attribute_pa_baffledun-baffeled=un-baffled&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjLWQjfTI4gIVCh6tBh2FCAa8EAYYBCABEgLwrvD_BwE

there are other options, but here is an example.  Depends on your needs and budget.  

I have also seen plastic barrels used for dumping waste tanks, mounted on a hitch mounted platform with the necessary valves, and used so that the trailer never has to move.  Just dump the trailer to the barrel, take it to dump station and then stow away.  Pretty slick is bondocking is a regular things and you like to be AWAY from "civilization".

Marcel

It is difficult to answer your question directly.  I am not a fan of toy hauler interior layouts, so I don't stay up on which ones are good or bad.  I do like their extra capacities though.  My reason for posting here though is that in another thread you mentioned you are towing with a Dodge 2500.  Most of the medium to large toy haulers are going to require a larger tow vehicle than that to tow them safely.  I don't know if you considered this or not, but I wanted to at least point it out.

I agree with rpsinc in that there are other ways to get around limited tank capacity.  I have a 60 gallon water bladder sitting in my trailer right now.  With an RV water pump mounted in a plastic tool box with some basic fittings and electrical connections, it is very easy to fill and transfer water to/from the bladder.  It also gives you a back up water pump if anything ever happens to the one in your trailer.

I will also add that it is very difficult to get kids to conserve water (depending on their age).  When it is just my wife and I, we can go quite a while on our 100 gal fresh water capacity, 70 gal gray and 50 gal black.  However, when we have our granddaughter along with us it is sometimes difficult to get a long weekend out of the same tanks.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

If the water capacity is the only factor to change rigs, then perhaps an aux tank or barrel when you boondock.  Many use HDT tanks or tank locations as well as some other container like an inflatable bladder, used with a pump WHEN needed, otherwise stored.  I have seen some pretty creative ideas/solutions to this issue.  It is amazing what people come up with when faced with such a challenge.

https://www.readycontainment.com/product/truck-bed-water-bladder/?attribute_pa_size=small&attribute_pa_potablenon-potable=potable&attribute_pa_baffledun-baffeled=un-baffled&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjLWQjfTI4gIVCh6tBh2FCAa8EAYYBCABEgLwrvD_BwE

there are other options, but here is an example.  Depends on your needs and budget.  

I have also seen plastic barrels used for dumping waste tanks, mounted on a hitch mounted platform with the necessary valves, and used so that the trailer never has to move.  Just dump the trailer to the barrel, take it to dump station and then stow away.  Pretty slick is bondocking is a regular things and you like to be AWAY from "civilization".

Great info here! We have looked into a large water bag. 

The Vlog! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaOenbHprUoPv6PaYpjQU2w?view_as=subscriber

Melissa & Jesse.jpg

16 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

It is difficult to answer your question directly.  I am not a fan of toy hauler interior layouts, so I don't stay up on which ones are good or bad.  I do like their extra capacities though.  My reason for posting here though is that in another thread you mentioned you are towing with a Dodge 2500.  Most of the medium to large toy haulers are going to require a larger tow vehicle than that to tow them safely.  I don't know if you considered this or not, but I wanted to at least point it out.

I agree with rpsinc in that there are other ways to get around limited tank capacity.  I have a 60 gallon water bladder sitting in my trailer right now.  With an RV water pump mounted in a plastic tool box with some basic fittings and electrical connections, it is very easy to fill and transfer water to/from the bladder.  It also gives you a back up water pump if anything ever happens to the one in your trailer.

I will also add that it is very difficult to get kids to conserve water (depending on their age).  When it is just my wife and I, we can go quite a while on our 100 gal fresh water capacity, 70 gal gray and 50 gal black.  However, when we have our granddaughter along with us it is sometimes difficult to get a long weekend out of the same tanks.

Yes we have a 2500 ram, we will be at the limit with the toy hauler we are looking at. If my calculations are correct. Yes we do not have kids yet but we imagine they will be quite wasteful with water. We are just trying to start getting opinions and ideas. Thank you for the response! 

Melissa & Jesse.jpg

Howdy, I have a Fuzion 371 TH with 1.5 baths, 110ga fresh, 88 black and 44 grey. 

I have been full time in it for 2 years (5 years in a conventional fifth wheel). 

18cf fridge, w/d and a 700w solar system charging about 500ah of batteries to run everything but the a/c. 

The kitchen is perfect for me. The residential main bathroom was a selling point. 

The garage (second bedroom) has its own half bath, table and big screen TV. 2 double size beds that convert to benches, the ramp/patio is a great extension of the living area.

I chose this size (39.5') to stay with 2 axles. Any bigger and gets a third axle and more maintenance. 

I hope this helps you. 

Kimberly Flores, Trail Boss and Wagon Master
Jesse Flores, Coxswain, Shotgun Shipmate
Wagon mates: Cinnamon, Mini Schnauzer
2017 F350 Lariat Dually
2018 Keystone Fuzion 371 Toy Hauler
LovetheRVlife.com

The DRV LX455 fits your requirements.

• 100 Gal. Fresh Water Tank
  • 75 Gal. Grey Water Tank with Power Flush
  • 50 Gal. Black Water Tank with Power Flush
  • 1 1/2 bath
  • generator is an option

http://www.drvsuites.com/full-house-luxury-fifth-wheel-toy-haulers/floor-plans.html

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

3 hours ago, Jesse A said:

but we imagine they will be quite wasteful with water

Interesting thing about kids.  They learn from the parents.  My kids(30s & 40)learned that they needed to be careful with water usage very early in life.  We started camping with them in a tent trailer and moved from there.  They all knew about water conservation and we did pretty well.  Now they dont camp with us, but our habits have stayed with us and we still conserve, unless we are in a park, and even then we find ourselves being thrifty.  Habits are hard to break and good habits can benefit you for your lifetime.

Marcel

3 hours ago, Kimberly said:

Howdy, I have a Fuzion 371 TH with 1.5 baths, 110ga fresh, 88 black and 44 grey. 

I have been full time in it for 2 years (5 years in a conventional fifth wheel). 

18cf fridge, w/d and a 700w solar system charging about 500ah of batteries to run everything but the a/c. 

The kitchen is perfect for me. The residential main bathroom was a selling point. 

The garage (second bedroom) has its own half bath, table and big screen TV. 2 double size beds that convert to benches, the ramp/patio is a great extension of the living area.

I chose this size (39.5') to stay with 2 axles. Any bigger and gets a third axle and more maintenance. 

I hope this helps you. 

We have had our eyes on the fusions! Especially the newer ones, my wife likes the gray interior. How has yours been holding up?

Melissa & Jesse.jpg

2 hours ago, rynosback said:

The DRV LX455 fits your requirements.

• 100 Gal. Fresh Water Tank
  • 75 Gal. Grey Water Tank with Power Flush
  • 50 Gal. Black Water Tank with Power Flush
  • 1 1/2 bath
  • generator is an option

http://www.drvsuites.com/full-house-luxury-fifth-wheel-toy-haulers/floor-plans.html

That does have everything I am looking for, definitely longer than I would like. I should have stated the length, would like to be around 38 feet.

Melissa & Jesse.jpg

1 hour ago, richardbetsey said:

Wow they have some nice features! I've actually never heard of them ill have to research them more! Thank you!

Melissa & Jesse.jpg

31 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Interesting thing about kids.  They learn from the parents.  My kids(30s & 40)learned that they needed to be careful with water usage very early in life.  We started camping with them in a tent trailer and moved from there.  They all knew about water conservation and we did pretty well.  Now they dont camp with us, but our habits have stayed with us and we still conserve, unless we are in a park, and even then we find ourselves being thrifty.  Habits are hard to break and good habits can benefit you for your lifetime.

Thats very true! We are good with water so that should definitely help.

Melissa & Jesse.jpg

4 hours ago, Jesse A said:

We have had our eyes on the fusions! Especially the newer ones, my wife likes the gray interior. How has yours been holding up?

Very well Jesse (my hubby's name is Jesse 🙂)

It has about 10000 miles and nothing to report. The stock Sailun tires are due for rotation and wearing evenly. 

Been down some bad roads, mechanically sound but have had to tighten screws here and there because of that. 

It tows great, love the leveling system, and the generator. 

We boondock 95% of the time and I love it. 

Kimberly Flores, Trail Boss and Wagon Master
Jesse Flores, Coxswain, Shotgun Shipmate
Wagon mates: Cinnamon, Mini Schnauzer
2017 F350 Lariat Dually
2018 Keystone Fuzion 371 Toy Hauler
LovetheRVlife.com

9 hours ago, Kimberly said:

It has about 10000 miles and nothing to report. The stock Sailun tires are due for rotation and wearing evenly. 

Been down some bad roads, mechanically sound but have had to tighten screws here and there because of that. 

Wow good to know. Do you feel like 100 gallons is enough water? Also your husband has a great name!

Melissa & Jesse.jpg

9 hours ago, Kimberly said:

No we dont plan on hauling toys. We are looking at a toy hauler for mutiple reasons. 

Huge water capacity 

On board generator 

Rear deck

We can haul our bicycles inside out of the elements 

Lots of toy haulers have 1.5 baths.

That's the basics why we are looking at them, we live boondocking. We have our eyes on the grand design 351m.

Melissa & Jesse.jpg

I carry a couple plastic 55 gallon drums of water. Pit a spigot in one bung and a shrader valve in the other. Pressurized with air it will push water down garden hose to refill your tank. I don't have a picture of this on my phone. I will post one when I get to the computer.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

16 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I carry a couple plastic 55 gallon drums of water. Pit a spigot in one bung and a shrader valve in the other. Pressurized with air it will push water down garden hose to refill your tank. I don't have a picture of this on my phone. I will post one when I get to the computer.

Do you have to add air as the water is leaving the drum?  With an HDT you have a supply of air handy.  I have a trailer with a tank for cutting concrete, I also added a valve so we could pressurise the tank.  It works pretty good but usual I run a pump. An old RV pump works great.

Marcel

29 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

Thats a cool idea as well where do you store/ carry the 55 gallon drums?

Melissa & Jesse.jpg

You may not want to chose this model. As there spacious living space just took it to the next level.

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=384040&d=1559537511

She said to open it not eject it.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Since you don't have children yet why not keep what you have until you really need to upgrade?  Money saved and no need for a bigger truck yet. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I have a hdt so I strap them down to the flat bad. Before I had the semi i towed with a long box pickup. There was enough room in the bed to put the barrel in front of the 5th wheel. These are the pictures I took when I was testing out my idea. The cheap 12 volt compressor has since burned up. I would suggest a better one. It was slow but worked. Even a small one from harbor freight worked pretty good.

cSjOopFl.jpg

WGqsKPsl.jpg

4QUorxjl.jpg

12 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Do you have to add air as the water is leaving the drum?  With an HDT you have a supply of air handy.  I have a trailer with a tank for cutting concrete, I also added a valve so we could pressurise the tank.  It works pretty good but usual I run a pump. An old RV pump works great.

I had plans to use an old RV pump but then I got the HDT so I didn't change anything. Using the truck air is way faster than the little compressor.

30 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I have a hdt so I strap them down to the flat bad. Before I had the semi i towed with a long box pickup. There was enough room in the bed to put the barrel in front of the 5th wheel. These are the pictures I took when I was testing out my idea. The cheap 12 volt compressor has since burned up. I would suggest a better one. It was slow but worked. Even a small one from harbor freight worked pretty good.

cSjOopFl.jpg

WGqsKPsl.jpg

4QUorxjl.jpg

I better add to this that you only need like 5 lbs of pressure.