Big thank you to big5er

Exile

Licensing my hdt in Texas . . . Was a process.

Things that took too long:

1.  I did not have all the forms the first time. Doh! Dummy!

2 the second time, I realized that I didn’t have my original title- either the usps lost it or I did.  I thought I had an electronic title like in LA.  They were in the process of doing it until they found that.  On that day, I could have gotten it licensed if I had the right paperwork . . . Because they called Houston AFTER I left, and Houston said NO.

They told me this on my third visit-more wasted time.  They told me to go to Houston, and they could reject me.

I wouldn’t have the patience to deal with the Houston Registration people after taking time off work and driving to their office three more times to make another three trips.

3.  I contacted Phil, AKA Big5er, now unemployed (ex bane of truckers and misusers of RVs hauling race cars), and he was kind enough to take time out of his busy day guarding a park full of oil spill equipment and send my case to someone in Austin.

they hemmed and hawed around, so I sent videos, photos, more photos, until even Phil was losing patience.

i work for a company where our middle name is literally bureaucracy, so I can play the game if I don’t have to take time off work and stand in line.

Austin finally capitulated, because the law didn’t say this was illegal, so I took their email in to the local office, got shouted at a little, left standing for awhile, then politely charged 165.00 to depart with my plates in hand and never darken their doorway again.

WOOHOO!

Thanks again Phil! I will have to pay you back in DrP or mechanic work.

Edited by Exile
Tagged

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Wow that is process. I just walked into the DMV and told them what I wanted to do. The lady got out a big book and asked me 6 questions. She said I had to answer yes to 4 of the 6. I did and walked out with my plates. No inspection, no pictures just some yes or no questions. I didn't even start the conversion yet and got my plates.

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Hi Exile,

Nice to hear your paper work is all done and you have your plates. You know they say everything is bigger in Texas. Even the pain in the a$$ to get your paper work. lol. 😎

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

John, I'm glad I could help. All I really did was make a phone call but I'm glad it worked. It looks like Texas is getting away from the easy registration days of old and starting to make owners jump through hoops to get registered. I kinda wonder why the change. I was in and out in 30 minutes when I did mine. Are RV HDT's becoming more common, so the rules have been changed or are they seeing this so infrequently they don't know what they are doing? I'm afraid it may be the former since even Austin (and Houston) were so hesitant and resistant. Either way, you got yours done so all is good. 

If I ever get out your way, I will take you up on your offer of payment for services rendered. Attached you will find an open ended bill...for ONE ice cold Dr. Pepper. I used to accept warm DP and supply my own ice. But until I see how retirement treats me I am not sure I can afford to freeze the water necessary to make enough ice to chill a warm one. 

Safe travels John,
Phil

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I will make sure I always have iced Dr Pepper on hand!

What made it a little more difficult:

the TX title manual changed in early 2019, and the old title manual was more clear and simpler. 

There is no actual title for motor homes now, it is registered as a travel trailer.

the laws changed, and they removed the motor home section while i was in the process.

the new title manual says the conversion has to cover the entire frame, but the laws don’t say that.

my frame is still bare, and the commercial fifth wheel is still on the frame.   This got the local title lady bent out of shape.  If you can put a bed on it and pull the fifth wheel off first, it would probably go smoother. 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:51 PM, Exile said:

I will make sure I always have iced Dr Pepper on hand!

What made it a little more difficult:

the TX title manual changed in early 2019, and the old title manual was more clear and simpler. 

There is no actual title for motor homes now, it is registered as a travel trailer.

the laws changed, and they removed the motor home section while i was in the process.

the new title manual says the conversion has to cover the entire frame, but the laws don’t say that.

my frame is still bare, and the commercial fifth wheel is still on the frame.   This got the local title lady bent out of shape.  If you can put a bed on it and pull the fifth wheel off first, it would probably go smoother. 

That was one question I was asked in Tn. Does it still have the commercial 5th wheel on it? Told the lady no, it has a bed and rv 5th wheel on it.

After that 5 minutes and was heading out the door. But she did say, they would not tag it with the factory 5th wheel on it.

event.png

Pete,

Where did you get yours titled in TN?  Mine was bare frame with 5th wheel already removed but they didn’t even ask about it.  Of course that was 10 years ago and I basically had to gather all the info for motorhome registration and teach our county clerk how it was legal.  Luckily had a single person in Nashville who I had been working with who gave me his extension to call if any issues.  After discussion and info county clerk said no problem.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

South Dakota folks! 

Go with them! Everything done by mail from Idaho, being an Alaska Resident was a complete none issue. They happily took my money and processed the paperwork. Sent the plates to me by mail, and the title to the main SD office who will process it and send me a title in a few more weeks. They don’t care where you live, if your money is green they are good to go. 

Had to fill out a form stating it had a beds, power, heater, and refrigerator. Have that notarized and done and done!

Grateful. 

Edited by Brian C
Stupid Autocorrect!

13 hours ago, Brian C said:

South Dakota folks!

Go with them!

When you are already a Texas resident, why would you want to register your truck in another state? Many states frown (heavily) on their residents registering their vehicles in another state. 
Other than using an LLC the only reason I can see to register your vehicle out of your state of residence, if you house it in the state where you reside, is to skirt the laws of your state and/or screw your state out of their road taxes for the roads you drive on.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

7 hours ago, Big5er said:

When you are already a Texas resident, why would you want to register your truck in another state? Many states frown (heavily) on their residents registering their vehicles in another state. 
Other than using an LLC the only reason I can see to register your vehicle out of your state of residence, if you house it in the state where you reside, is to skirt the laws of your state and/or screw your state out of their road taxes for the roads you drive on.

Hardly. 

South Dakota has a very straightforward conversion process, it is easy, and does not require you to be a resident. Most states will accept an RV title from another state no questions asked. Therefore they are much easier to deal with than trying to go through a state that is inexperienced with the process. Furthermore if you are traveling full time, as I am, SD is, once again, very easy to work with for full timers. Mail can be established, etc. 

Pretty cool of them IMHO. 

I know now our politicians, of late, are encouraging us to think ill of one another, but try to think positively and I am sure you can think of other valuable reasons this might work for folks. 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:11 AM, Brian C said:

Hardly. 

South Dakota has a very straightforward conversion process, it is easy, and does not require you to be a resident. Most states will accept an RV title from another state no questions asked. Therefore they are much easier to deal with than trying to go through a state that is inexperienced with the process. Furthermore if you are traveling full time, as I am, SD is, once again, very easy to work with for full timers. Mail can be established, etc. 

Pretty cool of them IMHO. 

I know now our politicians, of late, are encouraging us to think ill of one another, but try to think positively and I am sure you can think of other valuable reasons this might work for folks. 

Texas is just as easy as is South Dakota, and they're just as familiar with both the concept and the process (not all county Tax Assessor/Collector's offices where there have been few conversions titled are experienced, but those that aren't and can't find the appropriate section in the manual can readily obtain procedural guidance from Austin).  In fact, for years Texas was more flexible than was South Dakota, since they continued to allow the conversion to a motor home while SD went through a period of quite a few years when the only option available for HDTs was registration as a private truck -- even going as far as revoking the titles of trucks already titled as motor homes.

Now that South Dakota once again allows HDTs to be titled as motor home conversions, the two states are pretty much equal.  That being the case, it makes no sense for a Texas resident to register in South Dakota, or vice versa.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 12:24 PM, Phil D said:

-- even going as far as revoking the titles of trucks already titled as motor homes.

Now that South Dakota once again allows HDTs to be titled as motor home conversions, the two states are pretty much equal.  That being the case, it makes no sense for a Texas resident to register in South Dakota, or vice versa.

Revoking titles, that is harsh. 

Now it seems the OP was having a hard time showing or convincing Texas that the truck met the standards. 

SD requires only an affidavit from you stating that you did the conversion and they will send the title out. Once titled it is easy to then transfer that title to your state and get plated. My state is spectacular about converted trucks, but I would have to bring it all the way back before they would ok it. Well that is great when I can’t drive it without a plate. So SD was, for me, a clear choice. 

4 hours ago, Sehc said:

Ah. The same as me. "Here is my other-state title. Please give me this-state registration" - "Ok. Here new title , registration. Give me check."  :)

HAHAHAHA!  So true. But just so funny the way you wrote it. Sorry. Just got a real kick out of it. Awesome. 

9 hours ago, Sehc said:

Ah. The same as me. "Here is my other-state title. Please give me this-state registration" - "Ok. Here new title , registration. Give me check."  :)

There are also quite a few states where you can register without retitling.  It sounds weird, but there are some circumstances where it could be necessary or convenient. Years ago, I moved and registered a vehicle that was financed.  The only way I learned that it hadn't been retitled in the process was the bill for property tax in the old state.  When I showed that it was registered elsewhere, the tax clerk (old state) was surprised that it could be done.  But I guess when registration is $50+ a year, and titling is a $1 fee, someone in the (new state) local treasurers office said don't lose $50 every year trying to get one dollar.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com